• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

October 2015 Surgeries

Hi all,

I thought I should post to all about the lessons I've learnt after year after having the sleeve, some of you might find it useful. I will post a picture when I've again how to do it on this site. Here it goes:

First let me start with some stats, I started off at 21 stones, lost around 2 stones prior surgery. My surgery day was 15 October 2014. I was a size 24 (M&S or Evans), bust 42J, now I'm a size 12-14, size12 top and 14 bottoms, bust size 34E!!
Yesterday I had my year review and they informed me that I lost 85% of my excess body weight. I now weigh in at 12.8Ibs with only 12Ibs left to target... So I'm very happy. I given myself 6-8 months to get there, but I'm in no rush now as I'm very happy with my progress. And happy with my size...

I have learnt that the scales is not the best indicator of weight lost. I was 13.8Ibs for 2.5 months and went down a size and lost inches off my bust, waist and thighs. The best indicator of weight lost is a tape measure and your clothes getting loose.

I have learnt that exercise is the key to aiding weight lost, I started moving 2 hours after surgery to go to the toilet and after being discharge home I walked around the house every 2 hours, making cups of tea, dinner, up the stairs and down the stairs, nothing strenuous. 6 days later I was walking outside for 10 -15 minutes and increased my time walking by another minute, 3-4 times a week. Week 2, I was walking 30 minutes, 3 – 4 times per week.

I went to the gym week 6 and started to power walk on the treadmill with 2Ib's of weights in each hand for 10 minutes. No stomach exercise for me too afraid to cause any damage at that stage. Then week 8, I jogged and week 10 – 11 I started to run for 10 minutes, then 15, then 20 minutes. I introduced kettle bells classes once a week.
Now I work out 3-4 days a week for 35 – 1hr, now running for 40 with 5Ibs of weights with the treadmill on the inclined or using a stair-master for 10-15 minutes and using the kettle bells to tone up. I don't have much loose skin to worry about – thank god. The gym is not for everyone but I would suggest building exercise into your weekly or daily activity.

I have learnt not to compare myself to others, people lose weight at different rate depending on their starting weight etc.

I have learnt that its OK to go off course, once a month or sometimes a week, I allow myself a ice cream, biscuit, fish and chips, sweets, pop corn, the list is endless. I don't see like I have failed or done something, wrong, I eat it enjoy and just get back on track the next day or the following week. I took pictures at the start of my WL journey and review them all the time as a reminder of how big I was and don't want to go back. the

This is very important to advice!!

I have learnt to listen to stomach, I eat from a small side plate, I don't drink with my food and I always stop eating when I'm full. If I can't finish my meal in one seating, I go back an hour later to finish it off but I have always watch my portions on the plate.

I carry small snack with me everyday, hummus with carrots, banana, cashew nuts or almonds, protein shake, Ryvita with cottage cheese or small pieces cheese, this regulates my sugar level and stops me from snacking wrong types of food...

Oh yes, I have learnt that you loose weight quickly between month's 1 – 8, then your body weight slows down, my advice is just to keep going, if you are following the diet correctly then there's no need to panic. If not, then go back to basics, what your surgeon or dietitian told you about your eating plan, but it is important to watch you calorie intake. I now eat 1600 per day and that's because of my exercise routine.

I will try and load on my latest picture, once I figured out how to do it again.

Good luck to you all XXX

Hi all, I thought I should post to all about the lessons I've learnt after year after having the sleeve, some of you might find it useful. I will post a picture when I've again how to do it on this site. Here it goes: First let me start with some stats, I started off at 21 stones, lost around 2 stones prior surgery. My surgery day was 15 October 2014. I was a size 24 (M&S or Evans), bust 42J, now I'm a size 12-14, size12 top and 14 bottoms, bust size 34E!! Yesterday I had my year review and they informed me that I lost 85% of my excess body weight. I now weigh in at 12.8Ibs with only 12Ibs left to target... So I'm very happy. I given myself 6-8 months to get there, but I'm in no rush now as I'm very happy with my progress. And happy with my size... I have learnt that the scales is not the best indicator of weight lost. I was 13.8Ibs for 2.5 months and went down a size and lost inches off my bust, waist and thighs. The best indicator of weight lost is a tape measure and your clothes getting loose. I have learnt that exercise is the key to aiding weight lost, I started moving 2 hours after surgery to go to the toilet and after being discharge home I walked around the house every 2 hours, making cups of tea, dinner, up the stairs and down the stairs, nothing strenuous. 6 days later I was walking outside for 10 -15 minutes and increased my time walking by another minute, 3-4 times a week. Week 2, I was walking 30 minutes, 3 - 4 times per week. I went to the gym week 6 and started to power walk on the treadmill with 2Ib's of weights in each hand for 10 minutes. No stomach exercise for me too afraid to cause any damage at that stage. Then week 8, I jogged and week 10 - 11 I started to run for 10 minutes, then 15, then 20 minutes. I introduced kettle bells classes once a week. Now I work out 3-4 days a week for 35 - 1hr, now running for 40 with 5Ibs of weights with the treadmill on the inclined or using a stair-master for 10-15 minutes and using the kettle bells to tone up. I don't have much loose skin to worry about - thank god. The gym is not for everyone but I would suggest building exercise into your weekly or daily activity. I have learnt not to compare myself to others, people lose weight at different rate depending on their starting weight etc. I have learnt that its OK to go off course, once a month or sometimes a week, I allow myself a ice cream, biscuit, fish and chips, sweets, pop corn, the list is endless. I don't see like I have failed or done something, wrong, I eat it enjoy and just get back on track the next day or the following week. I took pictures at the start of my WL journey and review them all the time as a reminder of how big I was and don't want to go back. the This is very important to advice!! I have learnt to listen to stomach, I eat from a small side plate, I don't drink with my food and I always stop eating when I'm full. If I can't finish my meal in one seating, I go back an hour later to finish it off but I have always watch my portions on the plate. I carry small snack with me everyday, hummus with carrots, banana, cashew nuts or almonds, protein shake, Ryvita with cottage cheese or small pieces cheese, this regulates my sugar level and stops me from snacking wrong types of food... Oh yes, I have learnt that you loose weight quickly between month's 1 - 8, then your body weight slows down, my advice is just to keep going, if you are following the diet correctly then there's no need to panic. If not, then go back to basics, what your surgeon or dietitian told you about your eating plan, but it is important to watch you calorie intake. I now eat 1600 per day and that's because of my exercise routine. I will try and load on my latest picture, once I figured out how to do it again. Good luck to you all XXX
Thank you Angie, it is good to hear from someone who has gone through the process. Well done on your weight loss, hope I can do as well. X

Thank you so much Angie - it really helps to hear from people who have experienced life after surgery. xx

Good luck

I wish you all the best of luck, please enjoy the process if you can, having the surgery is just the start, maintaining the weight lost is a whole another journey...

Oh jeez. It's here. This waiting is awful! I'm being picked up and taken to hospital at 10:45 - it's only 8:20 and I am going crazy! I just need it to happen now!!!!!

Oh the emotions you must be having, but just think by the end of today you will be on the losers bench. Hope everything goes ok. Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Oh jeez. It's here. This waiting is awful! I'm being picked up and taken to hospital at 10:45 - it's only 8:20 and I am going crazy! I just need it to happen now!!!!!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. The losers' bench has your space all ready for you :)

Good luck slinky, sit back and relax. The waiting is awful, but soon you will have a real nice sleep and wake up loaded with morphine ;)

The very best of luck :)

Eurgh. Morning from my hospital bed. Rough night but apparently I'm doing well. No pain from tummy but my chest hurts. Just been given black tea to try. Fingers crossed Xx

Hi all,

I had my hand fitted on Sunday - was so quick I arrived early so was showered in pink stuff, and whipped down to theatre in a blue, back in my room by 10.30!

Unfortunately I had problems after the op with my heart rate and no being too high so had to stay in over night on a drip and was very out of it until about 10 yesterday morning, so was a full 24hra after. Had to go to gp yesterday who thinks I possibly had a reaction to something in General anethestic. Hospital sent me home with a letter for my gp and copies of my ecg print out.

But that aside I don't feel bad at all. My provider called in to see me on Sunday and my surgeon was amazing, so caring and checking I was ok. The staff were really good. I felt very safe.

Glad to be home though. Had no pain until yesterday when I had to have some dissolveable paracetamol which I'm taking now.

No hunger at all. Just resting, still windy I think.

Hope everyone else ok :) X X X

Eurgh. Morning from my hospital bed. Rough night but apparently I'm doing well. No pain from tummy but my chest hurts. Just been given black tea to try. Fingers crossed Xx

Welcome back! Glad to hear it went well. Rest up now!

Hi all, I had my hand fitted on Sunday - was so quick I arrived early so was showered in pink stuff, and whipped down to theatre in a blue, back in my room by 10.30! Unfortunately I had problems after the op with my heart rate and no being too high so had to stay in over night on a drip and was very out of it until about 10 yesterday morning, so was a full 24hra after. Had to go to gp yesterday who thinks I possibly had a reaction to something in General anethestic. Hospital sent me home with a letter for my gp and copies of my ecg print out. But that aside I don't feel bad at all. My provider called in to see me on Sunday and my surgeon was amazing, so caring and checking I was ok. The staff were really good. I felt very safe. Glad to be home though. Had no pain until yesterday when I had to have some dissolveable paracetamol which I'm taking now. No hunger at all. Just resting, still windy I think. Hope everyone else ok :) X X X

Hey Sunny. Glad to hear it's going well for you. Bad luck on the reaction to anaesthetic!

I can't shift the air on my chest. It hurts every time I drink anything. Grr.

Back