• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG

I was just saying this in another thread but definitely everyone is different and if we all ate the same amount of calories a day we wouldn't all lose the same. I know some of these always have been slim people like to say it's as simple as calories, calories out etc but to be honest I think that is making it far too basic when it comes to metabolism and even more so for us when it comes to surgery it can be more complex to find a happy medium that allows us to lose with out feeling being under nurished. I know people who consistently lose of very low calories and some who consistently lose on "normal" calories (as in closer to what is recommended for there height and weight, despite what surgery), it's just about finding what is right for you :) x

I wish I could lose weight on 1500 calories!!

I never said I was losing on 1500 cals a day -- exactly the point -- I am currently not losing. Altho I *think* if I was adding exercise in and eating the same amount that I am currently eating I *would* be losing weight -- but my swimming plans are a bit up the creek due to job hunting / interviews nearly every single day this week.

And I think that actually I am generally under 1500 cals a day -- for instance, this is what I had today:

7 am -- 1 pack Belvitas .............................................................. 224 cals**

3 pm -- 1/2 a corned beef sandwich (brown bread) -- this was very
............ very late lunch due to being run ragged by 5 lawyers today
............ (they seem to have decided to use me a lot in my last week)
= 1 slice of granary bread + approx 3 slices c/beef = 32 grams protein
............................................................................................... 400 cals

6 pm -- Small Caffe Latte at Victoria station .................................... 200 cals
........... (the joys of commuting and one of my attempts to get an
............ extra 6 grams of protein in milky coffee drinks)

8 pm -- eve "meal" = 2 x Pepperami sticks ** .................................. 252 cals
........... (another 12 grams of protein)

================================================= TOTAL: 1076

** remember no fridge space/little kitchen access (mentioned elsewhere -- hence all food eaten in the house is currently non-perishable)

Ruthie's diary looks no more than 1,000 kcals to me.

Really ??

I guess it does depend on the portion sizes and the portion sizes of all the nuts / raisins / chocolates and other snacks mentioned by Ruthie:

I do already eat dried fruit, nuts AND chocolate every day, just not that much of it! Even the odd choc digestive biscuit. Basically I eat whatever I want, just small quantities.

Average day's food: Breakfast: Two Ryvitas with low fat sliced cheese on, grilled till bubbling :) NB at the moment have a tooth problem so am finding crunchy food difficult to eat, so tend not to eat much of the Ryvita, just the cheese!

Lunch: my staple: spaghetti squash with grated low fat cheese and a tomato sauce (usually ketchup *blush*). Salad. Followed by a row of chocolate squares, some dried fruit.

Snack: some nuts and raisins.

Supper: Protein and veg. Either chicken/turkey/duck/fish with salad and veggies. Sometimes a home made soup first but I don't often have room for both soup and main course.

More snack food later.

Drinks throughout the day: Gallons of tea with fresh lemon and fresh ginger. Water and diet grapefruit squash.

I don't have all the nuts / choc squares / raisins etc ...... 3 small meals a day plus 1 fairly regular cappucino / caffe latte at Victoria Station (which I justify to myself on the basis of the extra 6 grams of protein in the milk).

Well maybe the answer is either to up the exercise or cut the calories back till you find the combination that works for you sharon. I know you can go up to 1000 - 1200 generally speaking if you are just maintaining but think you might need to cut back from the 1000 to maybe 800 or so and see if that makes a difference.. but its like yves said the numbers the dieticians give us are generalised.. some people can lose on more or need even less.. I for one wouldn't lose much on 1000 calories a day and I exercise quite a bit. I'm sure you will find the quantity that's right for you xx

Back