• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

Thanks for your support and kind wishes everyone - I love that I can talk about things like this on here; I have told only two people about this surgery so being able to talk about it really helps me.

I'm now frantically looking up sleeve success stories to re-calibrate my goals and look positive

Have spoken with the consulting team who say they could not get to the bowel because my oddendum was in the way, so performed the sleeve as it was achievable safely. I'm trying to stay positive -sleeve is still an excellent bariatric tool, just not as permanent as the RNY.
There is no second chance here, I have to make the sleeve work so there won't be an NHS funded conversion later.
I was told sleeve was permanent!

@SAM55 - the leaflet on st Georges says sleeve is sometimes a first step to an RNY. That said its a good bariatric tool in itself.
I'm a bit at sea here as all my research was onRNY so I just need to educate myself

@Rose2016 keep a look out for articles where those having a first step sleeve in preparation for conversion later decided not to have the conversion as they were very successful with just the sleeve. It's the origin of the sleeve as an independent procedure. To start with it was done as a first step with conversions planned but as it was so successful it is now offered as a stand alone procedure. Hope that helps. It's so hard as everyone chooses what's right for them, or what has been advised for them...it must be so frustrating for you. I chose the sleeve and having it tommorrow!! Best of luck with the research. Xxxxx

@Rose2016 keep a look out for articles where those having a first step sleeve in preparation for conversion later decided not to have the conversion as they were very successful with just the sleeve. It's the origin of the sleeve as an independent procedure. To start with it was done as a first step with conversions planned but as it was so successful it is now offered as a stand alone procedure. Hope that helps. It's so hard as everyone chooses what's right for them, or what has been advised for them...it must be so frustrating for you. I chose the sleeve and having it tommorrow!! Best of luck with the research. Xxxxx
Good luck tomorrow!!!

I'm now frantically looking up sleeve success stories to re-calibrate my goals and look positive

It must be hard to suddenly find yourself with a sleeve, but I'm sure you'll find lots of success stories to read on here and elsewhere.
So get comfy on that losers bench and read away.

Good luck @LittleMissNom and you also summed up what I was going to say to so thanks for that x
@Rose2016 it's a lot to get your head around even when you have researched it so I imagine you do feel a bit lost. Like any of the procedures there are loads of success stories and failure/horror stories out there. What really matters at the end of the day is how this tool works out for you. You have all of us to talk to and we will be right there with you x

@FeeBee - you are one of my sleeve success stories :), also @niccie and many others.
Panic over - new trailblazers found and I am happy and grateful once again.
You are so right that it is a tool and it's what I do with it that matters - so what if it's a different tool.

Am walking around slowly. Had a few small spoons of jelly as advised by the doctors - which hurt like anything so am back to sipping water and cold coffee.

The New Me is here and raring to go. Sorry for the minor blip - normal positive service is now resumed.

@FeeBee - you are one of my sleeve success stories :), also @niccie and many others.
Panic over - new trailblazers found and I am happy and grateful once again.
You are so right that it is a tool and it's what I do with it that matters - so what if it's a different tool.

Am walking around slowly. Had a few small spoons of jelly as advised by the doctors - which hurt like anything so am back to sipping water and cold coffee.

The New Me is here and raring to go. Sorry for the minor blip - normal positive service is now resumed.
Glad you're feeling more positive. I am now 9 days since my sleeve and am feeling great - the only problem is a little light headedness. Just out of interest - I have found that warm drinks are much less painful than cold ones :)

@LittleMissNom very best wishes for today. I'm feeling so much better today so factor in 1-2 days of sleeping and take it from there.

Making room for you on the losers bench

@Penelope -you are another of my Sleeve Heros. Fantastic weight loss already

Ah @Rose2016 you make me blush but if I've helped at all I'm so pleased :) I'm glad you are feeling more positive too but don't worry when you don't feel great too, you're still allowed to wobble x

Hi everyone- any idea how soon after surgery we can have a bath? I had op on Tuesday and have four cuts that are healing very nicely. Really want a bath though as I stink :). The only issue I'm having so far is my hand is swollen from the cannula- looks like a blown up marigold. Am managing consommé and water quite well and had half a slimfast and no vomit just a shuddering tummy that quickly subsides.

I was told we could shower but not bath and to limit the water on the wounds as much as possible, also no soap on the wounds. Do you still have dressings on or just glue?

My hand got quite swollen as well.

No bath ... Ever?? I'll have a shower, thanks for the info.
I have dressings still and my wounds are glued. I'm sure my hand will deflate soon

Back