• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

So delighted for you ... Well done and take care

Start of day 2 and feeling good. Only problem is I'm not taking in what they say I should. Couple of sips and I'm full. Dony know how to get 1000ml in.

Only pain is wind but I am moving around a lot which is helping. Hope everyone else ok

I think a lot of us find that. For the first few days I just did the best I could and found each day I could tolerate a bit more a bit easier so you'll get there. Keep sipping as we say x

Well, I am out and on the other side. Home after two days.

It was a very mixed experience with some great care from doctors, but some rubbish care from nurses.

Surgery went better than I expected and I don't feel as ill as i thought I might.

Still woolly head from aneasthetic and sore from drain.

Have managed on sips of water with no problem and an Upbeat protein drink this morning with no discomfort.

Getting my regular meds in liquid for has been and still is a challenge, and getting my head around what I do with each one. Have soluble paracetamol and dissolved it in a cup of water before realising it would take forever for me to drink it, both from a volume point of view and that it is fizzy so I have to wait until it goes flat. Also have liquid ibuprofen but it is a children's one so no instructions on what to take as an adult. :(

District Nurse due to come to show me how to inject myself with blood thinning drug whose name I can't remember.

Hope others from Monday surgery have done well x

Start of day 2 and feeling good. Only problem is I'm not taking in what they say I should. Couple of sips and I'm full. Dony know how to get 1000ml in.

Only pain is wind but I am moving around a lot which is helping. Hope everyone else ok
Glad you are through MMM. I have the opposite problem to you in that I don't feel full so having to watch I don't drink too much. Only came off drip 12 hours ago so early days.

Have u tried using a straw. I been thinking how best to sip as I drink water so fast sometimes... water is the only pint I have even been able to down lol. I am thinking a straw will be useful so it just trickles in a bit at a time??? Good luck xx

Have u tried using a straw. I been thinking how best to sip as I drink water so fast sometimes... water is the only pint I have even been able to down lol. I am thinking a straw will be useful so it just trickles in a bit at a time??? Good luck xx
In the blurb I was given it advised me not to use a straw as it creates wind. They did give me one in hospital though and it was find with sips. I was advised to use Marvel skimmed milk powder to get the extra protein which tastes fine and is a lot cheaper than protein powder!

Yeah I was told not to use straw because of wind. I'm keeping things down

Paracetamol not good to keep down. Had a yogurt with milk that was good

Hope yours went ok Penny? I nearly got sent home as I was sixth in line for an HDU bed, but they managed to find me one eventually.
Yup - I went in to theatre about 12:30, had to wait in recovery until about 8pm. Such a relief to be on the other side of the op. My time in hospital wasn't the best. They didn't get all the fluids in the drip down me before they took it down so I couldn't take in enough fluids by sipping. (and I really did try) So I ended up with a severely low blood pressure and had to stay in bed with my head down and my feet up, catheterised, while they poured fluids in through a new drip. It worked though, and I woke up yesterday morning filling much better. Sent home yesterday evening at 6pm - got back for 7:30 and now mostly just tired. I got through half a slimfast for breakfast, and will try to finish it for lunch. Taking tablets is a bit of a nightmare though. I can manage by crushing my thyroxine in a little bit of water, and the lanzoprazole dissolves in my mouth - quite a nice taste really. Not keen on the flavour of the vitamins - forceval and they seem quite thick to get down - still working on this mornings dose now. But the chewable atorvastatin - disgusting and foul - couldn't get rid of the taste with toothpaste!!! not going to be happening here. Started walking around the garden - leaves me little light-headed for now. Have stopped all my diabetes medicines. Just needing to monitor my blood sugars for now. Couldn't manage the painkillers at all. Was sick the one time they gave me co-codamol and have just managed without ever since.
At least we have all had the op. Now it is a matter of just working our way through this.

I definitely found straws helped in the early days so if it helps I'd be tempted to stick with it. I was told to use straws though :)
Hopefully the next few days will be more and more comfortable from both a pain point of view and getting some fluid in ladies :)

@Penelope hope you feel better soon, sounds like a rough start!

Mixed advice with straws... hadn't thought of extra air possibilities using them... I guess it's a case of trying to see what suits each of us. Eeep!

Glad to see you're safe on the other side @SAM55

You and the other September people are really helping a lot by sharing experiences as I head toward my own date.

Yup - I went in to theatre about 12:30, had to wait in recovery until about 8pm. Such a relief to be on the other side of the op. My time in hospital wasn't the best. They didn't get all the fluids in the drip down me before they took it down so I couldn't take in enough fluids by sipping. (and I really did try) So I ended up with a severely low blood pressure and had to stay in bed with my head down and my feet up, catheterised, while they poured fluids in through a new drip. It worked though, and I woke up yesterday morning filling much better. Sent home yesterday evening at 6pm - got back for 7:30 and now mostly just tired. I got through half a slimfast for breakfast, and will try to finish it for lunch. Taking tablets is a bit of a nightmare though. I can manage by crushing my thyroxine in a little bit of water, and the lanzoprazole dissolves in my mouth - quite a nice taste really. Not keen on the flavour of the vitamins - forceval and they seem quite thick to get down - still working on this mornings dose now. But the chewable atorvastatin - disgusting and foul - couldn't get rid of the taste with toothpaste!!! not going to be happening here. Started walking around the garden - leaves me little light-headed for now. Have stopped all my diabetes medicines. Just needing to monitor my blood sugars for now. Couldn't manage the painkillers at all. Was sick the one time they gave me co-codamol and have just managed without ever since.
At least we have all had the op. Now it is a matter of just working our way through this.
Glad you made it through Penny and sorry hospital wasn't a good experience for you as well.

I have seen a lot of comments about foul tasting Forceval on here, but the one I have been given is ok, just a bit more fluid to get down and it says take after food - ha!. It is a soluble and the taste is forest fruits and rather nice. Haven't heard of Atavastin though.

My friend suggested a pill crusher which i haven't heard of before, so have got one and am going to give it a try this evening on my Zopiclone as the two spoon approach is somewhat challenging. I seem to have been given the wrong Omeprazole as it says it should be dispersible and it isn't. I also seem to be missing some Adcal D3, so a call to the hospital in the morning I think!

Hi all I've got my surgery date through at St Richards Chichester for Sept 28th and pre op etc in Aug 23rd so not long now wondered if anyone else on here having surgery in September or sooner that would like a buddy to go through it all with .....I certainly would like someone I could share and ask questions with......just wondering ....also anyone else had there gastric bypass at St Richards chichester and would live to chat about way they do things ....thanks here's hoping xxxx

Hi, this is my first post really nervous my op's next Friday, having a band fitted....

Last edited:
Got call delay - my hospital is changed and my date pushed back til next week. Am staying calm but worried that my op is so at risk of change. And 4 more days of WLS. Hope all went well with the ladies who have been through to the losers bench
Sorry to hear that Rose, not an easy thing to have to cope with :(

Glad you made it through Penny and sorry hospital wasn't a good experience for you as well.

I have seen a lot of comments about foul tasting Forceval on here, but the one I have been given is ok, just a bit more fluid to get down and it says take after food - ha!. It is a soluble and the taste is forest fruits and rather nice. Haven't heard of Atavastin though.

My friend suggested a pill crusher which i haven't heard of before, so have got one and am going to give it a try this evening on my Zopiclone as the two spoon approach is somewhat challenging. I seem to have been given the wrong Omeprazole as it says it should be dispersible and it isn't. I also seem to be missing some Adcal D3, so a call to the hospital in the morning I think!
I have a small pill crusher and used it on my thyroxine - it worked like a dream.

Good to 'see' you Sam! I find it odd that you have to take dispersable tabs - they started me off on tablets the day after surgery. But different surgeon. Sorry you had mixed care at the hospital too.

Back