• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking :( pre gastric sleeve op

HoPe*87*

Hi all,
Iam unfortunately a smoker and I was advised to stop at my appointment with the bariatric nurse however when I went back and saw the surgeon he never mentioned smoking!! I have my date I'm getting surgery at Sunderland royal hospital on the 3rd of Feb. I'm just worried they might not do the surgery if I'm still smoking???

Hello there, every pct is different, if you was advised by nurse to stop smoking then I would follow her advice or you may find that if u dont your op may get postponed and I am sure u dont want that to happen. All the best MeJulie xx

I was told if I smoked then no op. My surgeon DID ask but I had given up in January 2011, my op was Nov 2011.
It's a risky enough op without being a smoker. GL :)

weigh it up sweetpea.. smoking while having surgery is so risky for infection and your healing process....

if you ve the willpower t do the milk diet etc you gotta do then you ve the will power to stop smoking, there both an addiction food and cigs.... and if you can stop one you can do the other :)

good luck sweets!!! think of that fab healthy new pink lunged body you ll have xxxxxx

Try reading 'Easyway' by Alan Carr (not the comic) it's on Amazon for less than £5, I gave up from 40 a day 8 years ago and never wanted one since, I also have about 7 friends that have successfully used this book. Good luck you can do it xxx

Thanks everyone!! I really do want to quit smoking I just find it very hard to quit and not eat at the same time!! I'm worried that if I give up now il put on weight b4 my op then they will refuse to do it :( feel like I can't win either way to be honest :( x

ive quit (ap[art from a blip last night) (hmm does that mean i havent quit)...

anyway...i went 7 days without a ciggy, i simply made myself believe i wasnta smoker...if the thought popped in my head.......i told myself off....would i rather be slim...or have a ciggy!!!!

AND...you need to be able to afford clothes when all the weight has gone off...

Everything 5 Pounds

you can get shoes cheaper than a pack of fags!!!!!!!!

Smoking makes your blood sticky, which means that there is more chance of a blood clot or other issues during or after surgery. It's not worth the risk, so give up for now, even if you start again after surgery. Leave it at least 2 weeks after surgery if you really have to start again, as you will still be at risk of clots while you heal.

if you go into a chemist (most do it) you can get on the stop smoking thingy. Its funded by the government, and for the price of one prescription, or free if you dont pay for scripts, you will get patches, gum etc for weeks until you've stopped. You have to go back every week and they test your carbon monoxide levels and give you more aids. Well worth it. Good luck x

I'm pretty sure Sunderland have a draconian policy on smoking and I seem to remember Liz telling me once that they test your bloods, and if there is evidence that you have't given up they will cancel your operation.

Well I've wanted to quit for a while so I suppose if there is anything that will spur me on this is it :) just finished night shift so going to have a nice cuppa tea and last cigarette b4 I go to bed, then wake up a none smoker :) just hope they will still do the op with me leaving stopping so late b4 my op (3rd Feb)!! Fingers crossed all will be fine x

I know it is so hard to give up anything we are addicted to so I wish you the very best of luck with this. xxx

Try to give up before your op.

I quit 9 years ago and did it an hour at a time.

I kept telling myself I'll have on in an hour before I knew it the day had gone, then a week , then a month etc.

I'm not saying it's easy but it's worked for me with only a couple of blips along the way.

Good luck

I no how u feel I'm exactly the same I've not brought any since nyeve I've had a couple of pulls of my oh I just hope I can kick it full stop :( after my tea I find it hardest but everyday I'm gettin better x good luck with it hun x

Back