• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking :( pre gastric sleeve op

Caren said:
keep going honey, you can do it :) xxx

Thanks :) just really testing me giving up two things I crave for at the same time on top of being on night shift at work :( I'm sure I'l be fine I'l just keep busy so hopefully it will fly by xxx

I had a pre op diet letter from my hospital and it says to quit 6 weeks before sugery, my op is 7 weeks today and i am on my last pack of 20!!!!!!!

vickylou said:
I had a pre op diet letter from my hospital and it says to quit 6 weeks before sugery, my op is 7 weeks today and i am on my last pack of 20!!!!!!!

Its hard but will be worth it :) I only quit 14 days ago and got my op in 9 days! They didn't mention quitting tho xxx

Im glad i found this thread!
Nothing was mentioned to me about smoking at the beginning but then i was told that id have to stop two weeks before hand, but when chatting to the receptionist she said most people just cut down not to worry about it. So I've cut down a bit but Im a bag of nerves, my op is on Saturday what am i doing?!
Im so so pissed off with myself, i gave up for seven months before for NO reason and for ten months when i was pregnant. Im on the milk diet and i feel like it's one or the other.
Did anyone smoke and was ok?

Hi , yes I smoked up to the day before sleeve op , I did not smoke after op for 4 weeks , back on it now , but have cut down

Daisyhappy! said:
Nothing was mentioned to me about smoking at the beginning but then i was told that id have to stop two weeks before hand, but when chatting to the receptionist she said most people just cut down not to worry about it. So I've cut down a bit but Im a bag of nerves, my op is on Saturday what am i doing?!
Im so so pissed off with myself, i gave up for seven months before for NO reason and for ten months when i was pregnant. Im on the milk diet and i feel like it's one or the other.

Hi Hun, there was someone that posted on here that they smoked right the way through and nothing was ever said to them. I was asked at the pre op if I was smoking and said no coz I have quit now it's 3 weeks tomorrow :) I don't know wot they would have said or done if I said I was still smoking. I know apparently one of the surgeons at Sunderland refuse to operate on smokers. Not sure which one they just said that at the seminar I went to. If I were u I would really try and quit if u can just coz it will be better for ur healing etc. I know it hard to do diet and quit I've done it both together and have found it difficult at times if u see my other threads u will see I've been really down but I know it will be worth it in the long run xxx

I used to smoke until 2 weeks b4 Christmas as was told if you smoke the anaesthetist is more likely to refuse you than the surgeon as his the 1 keeping you safe during op!! Also it's proven smoking effects the healing process ,it's not easy I know as did it just b4 I started pre op diet,I still not smoking and feel so well since my op !! Gl wiv it x x

Stay strong and focused hun its worth it in end and reduces risk of post op complications such as chest/wound infection, DVT/PE.
I am a nurse in pre op at Sunderland and often see ex smokers and some I have talked to say the biggest thing they notice is sense of smell/taste returning and some become more aware of how bad clothing/home furnishings can smell with stale smoke.

i used champix to quit cut out all the cravings so i just had to deal with breaking the habit i learned to crotchet for something to do with my hands it works and i sucked the occasional sugar free sweet i only gained a pound by week 4 of my quit :)

Back