• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Chance to Start Again

Maria61

Hi all, hope you're enjoying this lovely, sunny Easter bank holiday weekend!

I'm still ticking along and have now lost 11lbs since surgery on the 10th April. All pain is gone unless I bend or stretch too much and every day I seem to notice a new change in my body or that daily life is becoming easier in terms of movement and stamina. It seems now that surgery is past Richie has calmed down and if anything we seem to be closer than we have in a long while! This morning we went and got a coffee, found a nice viewpoint and sat and sipped and chatted. After that we came home and sat in our summer house and did the same.

My mom and sister went back home today, which, although I was glad to see them, I'm glad about. Mom's memory issues have not improved and I'm going to write to her doctor in the US to state my concerns and I'm going to encourage my sister to do the same. Whether it will do any good or not, I don't know, but it's something. It probably would have been better for them to be here the next two weeks than the previous. In all truth, I didn't really need a huge amount of assistance once I got home apart from any heavy lifting. I was up and about and even cooking meals within a few days of surgery and as long as others cleaned up, it wasn't that bad. I get the feeling that mom wanted to be here as the knight in shining armour and on some level got sulky when she realized that wasn't what I needed.

Anyhow... if you all remember, I had said that my goal was to find a way to get out of my job at the church. My mom was generous enough to pay for me to do the NVQ Level 2 in Nail Services so I can become a nail tech! I'm so excited!

Every day I find myself feeling more excited about life than I have been in such a long time. There's a small spark of the Mandy I used to be starting to make a reappearance. I'm making plans, dreaming dreams and looking so forward to the days to come. Even though I'm still less than two weeks out of surgery, I can already say that this has been the best thing that has ever happened to me!
What a wonderful positive post, you sound so happy xxx

OkieGirl

Welp, I've hit the dreaded three week stall! I had lost 20lbs, but have gone up 2lbs. I'm not going to fret about it as I'm doing everything that I've been told to do and I know it will start shifting again soon, but it still stinks!

Overall I'm still feeling good in myself. In fact, I've started weaning myself off my antidepressant, although I will take that slow and steady and see how I feel once I get back to work next Tuesday. One thing that does have me a bit concerned is that although I feel fine in myself physically most of the time, I find that I run out of puff pretty quick or that I get weak quickly when doing physical tasks and this seems to be getting worse rather than better. Maybe I'm worried over nothing, but it's annoying that I have to go and sit down for a few minutes after doing something minor like hanging out the washing! Did any of the rest of you experience the same?

Welp, I've hit the dreaded three week stall! I had lost 20lbs, but have gone up 2lbs. I'm not going to fret about it as I'm doing everything that I've been told to do and I know it will start shifting again soon, but it still stinks!

Overall I'm still feeling good in myself. In fact, I've started weaning myself off my antidepressant, although I will take that slow and steady and see how I feel once I get back to work next Tuesday. One thing that does have me a bit concerned is that although I feel fine in myself physically most of the time, I find that I run out of puff pretty quick or that I get weak quickly when doing physical tasks and this seems to be getting worse rather than better. Maybe I'm worried over nothing, but it's annoying that I have to go and sit down for a few minutes after doing something minor like hanging out the washing! Did any of the rest of you experience the same?
Hi @OkieGirl
Congrats on your fabulous weight loss!
I really feel for you after hitting the week 3 stall. I gained 3lbs in the same week and lije you, you know you've done everything correct and possibly expect a stall or gain but it's pretty scary. Please believe it'll come off the week after and will come off quickly!
I'm 4 weeks out from my surgery now and can't say I've been feeling weak. I've been managing a walk most nights after work. Have you started your vitamins yet? How's your protein intake? Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon but maybe speak to your team or GP if you're worried. Keep up the great work. I hope your pouch is behaving xx

OkieGirl

Hi @OkieGirl
Congrats on your fabulous weight loss!
I really feel for you after hitting the week 3 stall. I gained 3lbs in the same week and lije you, you know you've done everything correct and possibly expect a stall or gain but it's pretty scary. Please believe it'll come off the week after and will come off quickly!
I'm 4 weeks out from my surgery now and can't say I've been feeling weak. I've been managing a walk most nights after work. Have you started your vitamins yet? How's your protein intake? Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon but maybe speak to your team or GP if you're worried. Keep up the great work. I hope your pouch is behaving xx

I started my vitamins at 2 weeks post op. I'm wondering if my protein is too low or my intake in general. I know we're supposed to have snacks mid morning and mid afternoon but there is a part of me that is terrified of getting in the habit and that it's just going to open the old floodgates. I've tried to take in a bit more protein today and fit in the snacks and think I feel better for it. I need to go and see my GP as is because my blood pressure seems to be really going down a lot, so I would like to discuss maybe lowering my medication in that regard and if I'm still feeling funny I'll mention it to him.

As for my pouch, it seems to be an incredibly agreeable pouch! I've not experienced any nausea or vomiting and I've transitioned into the mushy phase without a hitch. Complan and Slim Fast make me dump like there's no tomorrow though, so I now avoid those like the plague. Tonight I had homemade cottage pie and it was really good. I'm struggling to sense when I'm full because it's not the same sensation as it was. My stomach now gets gurgly if I'm getting full or I hiccough. But so far so good!

Sarnie

I started my vitamins at 2 weeks post op. I'm wondering if my protein is too low or my intake in general. I know we're supposed to have snacks mid morning and mid afternoon but there is a part of me that is terrified of getting in the habit and that it's just going to open the old floodgates. I've tried to take in a bit more protein today and fit in the snacks and think I feel better for it. I need to go and see my GP as is because my blood pressure seems to be really going down a lot, so I would like to discuss maybe lowering my medication in that regard and if I'm still feeling funny I'll mention it to him.

As for my pouch, it seems to be an incredibly agreeable pouch! I've not experienced any nausea or vomiting and I've transitioned into the mushy phase without a hitch. Complan and Slim Fast make me dump like there's no tomorrow though, so I now avoid those like the plague. Tonight I had homemade cottage pie and it was really good. I'm struggling to sense when I'm full because it's not the same sensation as it was. My stomach now gets gurgly if I'm getting full or I hiccough. But so far so good!
You are doing a lot better than me hun, I don't know if its because I had a double hernia op as well, but I'm really tired and head achy today, I've not taken my BP pills since I was in hospital, as they said my BP was low, I've been monitoring it here and its still low for me. I try and go out now, but its a struggle, I was hoping to go back to work yesterday, but just not ready, so taking another week off hoping I will be better by then. I gained 7lb directly after surgery, on the morning of my op I was 21.9 and now I'm 21 stone, so I've only lost 9lbs, but I'm happy with that. The tiredness I think is because you are still healing inside, it's early days yet for both of us, make sure you're not over doing it hun xx

OkieGirl

You are doing a lot better than me hun, I don't know if its because I had a double hernia op as well, but I'm really tired and head achy today, I've not taken my BP pills since I was in hospital, as they said my BP was low, I've been monitoring it here and its still low for me. I try and go out now, but its a struggle, I was hoping to go back to work yesterday, but just not ready, so taking another week off hoping I will be better by then. I gained 7lb directly after surgery, on the morning of my op I was 21.9 and now I'm 21 stone, so I've only lost 9lbs, but I'm happy with that. The tiredness I think is because you are still healing inside, it's early days yet for both of us, make sure you're not over doing it hun xx

I honestly am shocked at how quickly I've progressed, if I'm honest. Maybe it's been made better because I was expecting far worse! Thankfully they didn't find any hernias so that was one last thing they had to do to me. Over the last three weeks I have had to repeatedly remind myself that it has only been three weeks! It feels much longer for some reason.

You hang in there. I'm sure that you'll start feeling better soon. It's so amazing how every person reacts differently to this surgery.

Sarnie

I honestly am shocked at how quickly I've progressed, if I'm honest. Maybe it's been made better because I was expecting far worse! Thankfully they didn't find any hernias so that was one last thing they had to do to me. Over the last three weeks I have had to repeatedly remind myself that it has only been three weeks! It feels much longer for some reason.

You hang in there. I'm sure that you'll start feeling better soon. It's so amazing how every person reacts differently to this surgery.
It is amazing. I think I'm doing good really, just this new way of eating takes some getting used toto, but you are doing amazing, so pleased for you x

Bling Babe

Oh my days yes, I had a massive energy crash from weeks 2 through to week 6, like you I was great for a couple of weeks, I was of work for 7 orv8 weeks in total, I just listen my body and done very little, just lounged around most of the day, even having a shower just wiped me out, our intake is so very low I think our body can go into shock with it all, just ride the wave and don’t go back to work if your still the same because you’ll set yourself back a lot. As for the weight gain, it’s minors, your body will still be changing try to keep the fluids up because that will really help.
Did you do some body measurements pre-op ?? Xx

Bling Babe

That is the same “full” signal as I had, or what I call “throaty burps”, I struggled with the snacks too I also didn’t like the fact the 2 snacks a day took away 2 hours of hydrating time due to not drinking half an hour before/after eating. How many grams of protein are you having on average? Xx

OkieGirl

Oh my days yes, I had a massive energy crash from weeks 2 through to week 6, like you I was great for a couple of weeks, I was of work for 7 orv8 weeks in total, I just listen my body and done very little, just lounged around most of the day, even having a shower just wiped me out, our intake is so very low I think our body can go into shock with it all, just ride the wave and don’t go back to work if your still the same because you’ll set yourself back a lot. As for the weight gain, it’s minors, your body will still be changing try to keep the fluids up because that will really help.
Did you do some body measurements pre-op ?? Xx

I seem to have turned a corner in regards to my energy levels. Yesterday we took the boys to Norwich to see the new Avengers movie and had to walk a bit to the theatre and I was able to keep up with my hubby and the boys and didn't feel knackered! After that we went to Pizza Hut for lunch and I just ordered chicken wings. It felt weird and although I know it was in my head, I kind of felt a bit conspicuous because I ended up only having about 3 of the wings and giving the rest away. At the very least, I'm now a very cheap date! But dad gum, those wings were good and I really did enjoy them.

Sadly I didn't get any pictures or measurements from the day of surgery. With the arrival of my mom and sister and trying to get other things sorted immediately beforehand, it just didn't happen, which I'm sad about. I'm still stuck at the moment, but my shape is continuing to change. In fact, I put on a pair of jeans that I've not worn for about 15-16 years and they fit perfectly.

That is the same “full” signal as I had, or what I call “throaty burps”, I struggled with the snacks too I also didn’t like the fact the 2 snacks a day took away 2 hours of hydrating time due to not drinking half an hour before/after eating. How many grams of protein are you having on average? Xx

I'm getting better at judging being full, but I'm still rubbish at judging portion sizes! I still put too much on my plate which then leads to the 'one more bite' which then puts me over the top and I regret it. Nevermind, I'm going to get a lot stricter with myself now. Snacking continues to be my bane, but I tell myself that with having so little in general, it is very necessary, which helps.

Tomorrow I'm back to work. There's a part of me that is not happy to return to this job, but I'm also kind of ready to get back to routine. Change is coming in regards to the job, I just have to bide my time and I'll get there!

Maria61

I seem to have turned a corner in regards to my energy levels. Yesterday we took the boys to Norwich to see the new Avengers movie and had to walk a bit to the theatre and I was able to keep up with my hubby and the boys and didn't feel knackered! After that we went to Pizza Hut for lunch and I just ordered chicken wings. It felt weird and although I know it was in my head, I kind of felt a bit conspicuous because I ended up only having about 3 of the wings and giving the rest away. At the very least, I'm now a very cheap date! But dad gum, those wings were good and I really did enjoy them.

Sadly I didn't get any pictures or measurements from the day of surgery. With the arrival of my mom and sister and trying to get other things sorted immediately beforehand, it just didn't happen, which I'm sad about. I'm still stuck at the moment, but my shape is continuing to change. In fact, I put on a pair of jeans that I've not worn for about 15-16 years and they fit perfectly.

I'm getting better at judging being full, but I'm still rubbish at judging portion sizes! I still put too much on my plate which then leads to the 'one more bite' which then puts me over the top and I regret it. Nevermind, I'm going to get a lot stricter with myself now. Snacking continues to be my bane, but I tell myself that with having so little in general, it is very necessary, which helps.

Tomorrow I'm back to work. There's a part of me that is not happy to return to this job, but I'm also kind of ready to get back to routine. Change is coming in regards to the job, I just have to bide my time and I'll get there!
Well done you are doing very well xx

Bling Babe

I’m pleased your energy levels are getting better and I agree that getting structure back into our lives really helps, I hope you don’t have to bide your time for to long regarding your job, when will you start your nail technicians training? Xx

OkieGirl

I’m pleased your energy levels are getting better and I agree that getting structure back into our lives really helps, I hope you don’t have to bide your time for to long regarding your job, when will you start your nail technicians training? Xx

I start the nail course in June and over July and August I'll have done the five modules. After that I'll need to do my case studies (guinea pigs!) and take my exams and once that's all done I can get my insurance and get cracking. It will take time to build up clientele and for a while I will have to do both but I'm hoping to gradually make the nails a full time thing so I can ditch the church job.

Speaking of which...

I went back to work this week and was somewhat surprised to discover that not too much had gone awry in my absence, although I was more than a little annoyed to discover a surprise funeral that took place today (Friday). No one had bothered to keep the office in the loop. Apart from that and a few other fairly minor annoyances it wasn't a bad week.

Today I also went swimming for the first time in years! I had forgotten how much I loved it and actually did loads of laps and stayed in the pool for over an hour followed by a session in the sauna. I left there totally relaxed and exhausted, but in a really good way, and I'm going to try and start going at least 3 times a week. There's also quite a few fitness and yoga classes that use our hall and I'm thinking about joining one of them as well.

Weight-wise, however, I'm still stuck and although I know it's not uncommon, it's hard not to let it get me down. I'm doing everything they've asked and if I'm getting anywhere near 1000kcal a day I'd be amazed. Maybe over the next week it will change. :(

Ian2Big

Congratulations on the swimming. It is a great exercise. The weight will come off, just stick to the plan.

Bling Babe

I start the nail course in June and over July and August I'll have done the five modules. After that I'll need to do my case studies (guinea pigs!) and take my exams and once that's all done I can get my insurance and get cracking. It will take time to build up clientele and for a while I will have to do both but I'm hoping to gradually make the nails a full time thing so I can ditch the church job.

Speaking of which...

I went back to work this week and was somewhat surprised to discover that not too much had gone awry in my absence, although I was more than a little annoyed to discover a surprise funeral that took place today (Friday). No one had bothered to keep the office in the loop. Apart from that and a few other fairly minor annoyances it wasn't a bad week.

Today I also went swimming for the first time in years! I had forgotten how much I loved it and actually did loads of laps and stayed in the pool for over an hour followed by a session in the sauna. I left there totally relaxed and exhausted, but in a really good way, and I'm going to try and start going at least 3 times a week. There's also quite a few fitness and yoga classes that use our hall and I'm thinking about joining one of them as well.

Weight-wise, however, I'm still stuck and although I know it's not uncommon, it's hard not to let it get me down. I'm doing everything they've asked and if I'm getting anywhere near 1000kcal a day I'd be amazed. Maybe over the next week it will change. :(
I’d love to be your guinea pig but I’m not allowed to have them done for work.
Those scales will move, you know they will, but I understand how frustrating it can be.
Your swimming and sauna session sounds lush as does the yoga/fitness class.
I’m glad you didn’t go back to too much ‘upheaval’ at work, just think by the end of this year your could be out of it all completely xx

OkieGirl

I’d love to be your guinea pig but I’m not allowed to have them done for work.
Those scales will move, you know they will, but I understand how frustrating it can be.
Your swimming and sauna session sounds lush as does the yoga/fitness class.
I’m glad you didn’t go back to too much ‘upheaval’ at work, just think by the end of this year your could be out of it all completely xx

Oh, but I could just do a luxury mani-pedi for you minus any polish! The five modules are:
Luxury Manicure (scrubs, masks, etc.)
Luxury Pedicure (same as above)
Nail Art
Acrylic Extensions
Gel Extensions

So, you might be able to be a guinea pig after all! :D

I'm so looking forward to going swimming again already and I'll tell you what, I slept so good last night! What's nice about the pool I'm using is that because it's kind of out of the way and is fairly small, it's not uncommon that I'm all by myself in there. Yesterday when I got there, I was alone for a few minutes and then a dad and his son turned up and then a couple other ladies, but that was it. They've also got a small gym there that's quite nice, so I might look into a membership. It's so handy because it's almost directly across the street from the church so as soon as I'm done with work, I can head over there. There's also a lady that I've befriended from one of the yoga classes who is keen to take me swimming at the Beccles lido when it opens at the end of May.

It's so weird. When I was a kid I was actually pretty sporty and loved riding my bike and playing soccer and all sorts of stuff and as I got older and bigger all of that faded away but now I'm excited about getting back to some of those things. Everyday I think of something new I'd like to try or get involved with. Heck, I've even had someone suggest doing a park run at some point and although I dismissed it at first, I keep thinking about it. lol

Bling Babe

Oh, but I could just do a luxury mani-pedi for you minus any polish! The five modules are:
Luxury Manicure (scrubs, masks, etc.)
Luxury Pedicure (same as above)
Nail Art
Acrylic Extensions
Gel Extensions

So, you might be able to be a guinea pig after all! :D

I'm so looking forward to going swimming again already and I'll tell you what, I slept so good last night! What's nice about the pool I'm using is that because it's kind of out of the way and is fairly small, it's not uncommon that I'm all by myself in there. Yesterday when I got there, I was alone for a few minutes and then a dad and his son turned up and then a couple other ladies, but that was it. They've also got a small gym there that's quite nice, so I might look into a membership. It's so handy because it's almost directly across the street from the church so as soon as I'm done with work, I can head over there. There's also a lady that I've befriended from one of the yoga classes who is keen to take me swimming at the Beccles lido when it opens at the end of May.

It's so weird. When I was a kid I was actually pretty sporty and loved riding my bike and playing soccer and all sorts of stuff and as I got older and bigger all of that faded away but now I'm excited about getting back to some of those things. Everyday I think of something new I'd like to try or get involved with. Heck, I've even had someone suggest doing a park run at some point and although I dismissed it at first, I keep thinking about it. lol
It’s so lovely to read all that positivity, your going to totally rock this, maybe I could go for ‘gellish’ (I think that’s what it’s called, the one that’s lasts at least 2 weeks and goes on my actual nail, no extensions) before we go away in August xx

OkieGirl

It’s so lovely to read all that positivity, your going to totally rock this, maybe I could go for ‘gellish’ (I think that’s what it’s called, the one that’s lasts at least 2 weeks and goes on my actual nail, no extensions) before we go away in August xx

I don't have any Gellish products specifically, but I do have gel polishes and would be more than happy to do that for you! Gel is amazing in how well it lasts. I've had CND Shellac last up to five weeks before!

Bling Babe

That sounds like the same as what I have for my holidays, maybe we’ll get to meet which would be great xx

OkieGirl

Been a bit since I updated and since I'm sitting here watching the weather forecasts out of Oklahoma (gotta love tornado season!) I thought I'd say hey.

Things are going well at the moment and my stall FINALLY ended, albeit the weight is going far more slowly. Since surgery I've lost 24lbs/1st 7lbs, which doesn't sound like a huge amount to me, but meh, I know I'm still in the 'I want it all and I want it now' phase of the post-op honeymoon. When I look back though and include what I lost pre-op, I'm knocking on the door of 60lbs/4st down from my heaviest weight. I've now got about three pairs of jeans that I can't even bother wearing now because they pretty much just will fall off, which is awesome. People keep asking me about shopping sprees, but I'm like... uh... no? All my clothes were getting on the tight side before surgery, so most of my stuff is still ok for now.

There are moments when I wonder if they actually did anything to me at all because I've progressed really well onto 'normal' foods and haven't actually found much that gives me trouble. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that it's all gone so smoothly so far, but in some ways I feel weird and worried about it because it just has felt too easy. There's a part of me that's waiting for the backlash. All the conflicting information about what is a healthy diet is messing with my head and I will admit that I still really need to start working harder on sorting that side of things out. My six week check is next Tuesday so I will discuss some of my concerns with them.

People have been very supportive and are quite happy to discuss my surgery and I'm often asked how much I've lost. Honestly I don't mind. Ever since I started this journey I've been very blunt and honest about what's going on with me. For some reason I've felt very strongly that I've needed to 'own' this experience and damn the naysayers, of which there have been few, and the few I've had to deal with I've just told them why this was so necessary for me and what exactly it's meant to me and how it's benefited me so far. After that, if they still have a problem, it's their problem and not mine.

I'm now completely off my anti-depressants and still feel really good and have had a lot of people tell me that I now sound like the 'Old Mandy'. Having said that, I realized today that I've been rather opinionated and remember my mom telling me when I was a kid that I was just that. Perhaps it got buried over the years and it's now making a reappearance! Or it could just be that I'm turning into a cranky old woman! lol

Swimming is going... swimmingly. I'm still really enjoying and am considering going five days a week. It's kind of surprised me that I don't really feel self-conscious wearing my bathing suit. Now, if I were down on the beach, it might be a different story (and I'm planning on finding out over the summer!), but it doesn't bother me even when there are kids at the pool. I can see that my thighs are becoming really dimpled and saggy, but oh well! My loose skin shall be a badge of honour. It will be a sign of all the work I've put in.

Sorry for the long post. TL;DR - I'm doing good, weight is going downward and I'm feeling pretty happy overall!