• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Chance to Start Again

Hello Okie, I'm a newbie here but wanted to post my condolences to you and your family for the sad loss of Teddy. I'm sure that soon the happy memories of him will replace the the recent painful ones. How fantastic that he had lovely family like you to prevent his suffering and to be with him. You might be familiar with the concept of rainbow bridge but if not: https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm.

Congratulations on your surgery letter - it makes it all more real, and what a civilised time to be there for. Much better than 7am after a 3 hour drive! How long are you to be on your LRD for with L&D? I started mine the day I got my surgery letter but it's 4 weeks LRD with at Royal Derby.

Hello Okie, I'm a newbie here but wanted to post my condolences to you and your family for the sad loss of Teddy. I'm sure that soon the happy memories of him will replace the the recent painful ones. How fantastic that he had lovely family like you to prevent his suffering and to be with him. You might be familiar with the concept of rainbow bridge but if not: https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm.

Congratulations on your surgery letter - it makes it all more real, and what a civilised time to be there for. Much better than 7am after a 3 hour drive! How long are you to be on your LRD for with L&D? I started mine the day I got my surgery letter but it's 4 weeks LRD with at Royal Derby.
What a beautiful poem, thank you for sharing xx

Hi @OkieGirl
Sorry to hear about Teddy ,looks like he was a right character.
Good news on the date for surgery, hope your pre-op letter arrives soon, mine appeared 2 days after my surgery letter, despite been sent at the same time. (Royal Mail !) My pre-op was only 2 weeks before surgery and that was all the time i had to do the milk diet for.

I am sorry for your loss. He looked like he was a much loved member of the family. I hope news of your surgery date is helping with coping with your loss.

All the best.

TB x

Aw he is adorable @OkieGirl, so very sad, I’m sure he had a very happy life with you all
I’m so so pleased you have your date, that is very exciting, my pre-op was the the same as @Ian2Big and just 2 weeks on the milk (mine ended up being 3 due to cancellation) your date is 5 days after my surgiversary, ohhhhh I’m so excited for you xxx

Oh that is so sad, poor Teddy :( I'm sure he's left your family with lots of happy memories.
I hope you get your pre op letter soon x

So sorry about Teddy but great news about surgery xx

Thank all of you for your condolences. Teddy was a wonderful little dog and we will always miss him. I'm thankful that we do have so many good memories of the 'idiot dog' as I used to lovingly call him.

I got my letter about the pre-op today and I go in for that on the 27th March. @jules2 L&D have you do the LRD for two weeks prior to surgery, but I'll probably do it before then. My family have planned a 'last supper' for the 23rd. I'll just be glad to have it over now. I don't feel excited and I don't feel nervous, I just want it over. lol.

Thank all of you for your condolences. Teddy was a wonderful little dog and we will always miss him. I'm thankful that we do have so many good memories of the 'idiot dog' as I used to lovingly call him.

I got my letter about the pre-op today and I go in for that on the 27th March. @jules2 L&D have you do the LRD for two weeks prior to surgery, but I'll probably do it before then. My family have planned a 'last supper' for the 23rd. I'll just be glad to have it over now. I don't feel excited and I don't feel nervous, I just want it over. lol.
Glad you’ve got that through, that’s the same date that my surgery should have been.....it’s so nice that you have many happy memories xxx

Rainbow Bridge made me cry!

Sorry to hear about your dog x

Well, last night I went out with my family last night and had a mother's day-birthdays-last supper, which was fun. It felt really weird to think that this time in two and a bit weeks I will never be able to eat that much ever again and I actually felt a huge sense of relief about that.

My pre-op is Wednesday and then on April 10th I check in at 11am. I'm just so ready to be done with this now.

Well, last night I went out with my family last night and had a mother's day-birthdays-last supper, which was fun. It felt really weird to think that this time in two and a bit weeks I will never be able to eat that much ever again and I actually felt a huge sense of relief about that.

My pre-op is Wednesday and then on April 10th I check in at 11am. I'm just so ready to be done with this now.
Eeeek! So exciting Hun x

Wow, I've been thinking about you a lot lately, that really has come around fast, before you know it you'll be sitting on that bench. I've got my surgeons appointment on Friday and hoping like you I get a date. So exciting for you x

Not long now lovely lady xx

@OkieGirl I can’t tell you how excited I am for you......so so so exciting, go rock that milk diet it’s really is quite liberating as you know, we are all moving up the bench for you xxxx

Thanks everyone. Still not feeling excited, just more exasperated with it all! There is a small panicky voice in my head now that is almost in panic mode about how life will be after surgery and listing all the things I won't be able to eat and/or do. I know logically that this surgery is my best bet and tool to get my weight sorted. I also know that losing the weight is going to bring so many more positives than negatives. Did anyone else encounter this?

Tomorrow is my pre-op and I'm up again from my surgeon's meeting. Bring on the milk... I'm just tired of it all now.

Thanks everyone. Still not feeling excited, just more exasperated with it all! There is a small panicky voice in my head now that is almost in panic mode about how life will be after surgery and listing all the things I won't be able to eat and/or do. I know logically that this surgery is my best bet and tool to get my weight sorted. I also know that losing the weight is going to bring so many more positives than negatives. Did anyone else encounter this?

Tomorrow is my pre-op and I'm up again from my surgeon's meeting. Bring on the milk... I'm just tired of it all now.

I imagine most if not all of what your feeling is expected and would be more of a concern if you weren't.

Good luck at your pre op x

Good luck Okiegirl xx

I'm getting more nervous the further along I go, I see the surgeon on Friday and getting jittery. I don't think there will be much you can't eat or do post surgery, early days can be tough, but in the long term, you will be able to eat most things just in much smaller portions and you will be able to do a lot more physically, what do you think you won't be able to do? I think everyone has these types of fears, it's stepping into the unknown, but I'm sure you're going to be fine.
I copied this off a Facebook page, thought it explained it pretty well lol
A surgeon said this to a WLS patient who was worried.
"I heard you mention you had a 2 year old son. WLS is a lot like having a baby. You wait 9 months for your baby. You prepare and imagine what it's going to be like the entire time you're waiting. You may take classes and read books. You do everything you can to be ready. Then the baby is here and they send you home. It's overwhelming at first because everything about your life is different and life as you once knew it ceases to exsist. It is a huge adjustment and it isn't easy, but eventually you get to a point where you can't imagine life without them."
xx

Oh my days.....yes yes yes ....I “mourned” food I’d never be able to eat again, I had “food funerals” too, I was seriously worried and although I knew I was doing the right thing I still questioned my decision.
It’s perfectly normal @OkieGirl you will be fine and so far there is nothing I can’t eat.......boy do I wish Percy wouldn’t tolerate many things.
You will probably still be able to eat most things, the trick is to keep it in moderation (this is my biggest problem with biscuits and chocolate)
I often still feel sad and miss my huge portions, I’m not going to lie, the head still wants it thankfully Percy does well with cutting my portion size, mind you he still lets me graze all day on biscuits and chocolate.
Good luck, your going to totally rock this xxx

I'm getting more nervous the further along I go, I see the surgeon on Friday and getting jittery. I don't think there will be much you can't eat or do post surgery, early days can be tough, but in the long term, you will be able to eat most things just in much smaller portions and you will be able to do a lot more physically, what do you think you won't be able to do? I think everyone has these types of fears, it's stepping into the unknown, but I'm sure you're going to be fine.
I copied this off a Facebook page, thought it explained it pretty well lol
A surgeon said this to a WLS patient who was worried.
"I heard you mention you had a 2 year old son. WLS is a lot like having a baby. You wait 9 months for your baby. You prepare and imagine what it's going to be like the entire time you're waiting. You may take classes and read books. You do everything you can to be ready. Then the baby is here and they send you home. It's overwhelming at first because everything about your life is different and life as you once knew it ceases to exsist. It is a huge adjustment and it isn't easy, but eventually you get to a point where you can't imagine life without them."
xx

Mr Jumbulingham is really nice, but I completely understand your nerves because I felt the same! It's another step closer to surgery becoming a reality.

That quote is so perfect! Thank you for sharing it! I think it's the unknown about what to expect is what's bothering me and I know that I will eventually find a new normal.

Oh my days.....yes yes yes ....I “mourned” food I’d never be able to eat again, I had “food funerals” too, I was seriously worried and although I knew I was doing the right thing I still questioned my decision.
It’s perfectly normal @OkieGirl you will be fine and so far there is nothing I can’t eat.......boy do I wish Percy wouldn’t tolerate many things.
You will probably still be able to eat most things, the trick is to keep it in moderation (this is my biggest problem with biscuits and chocolate)
I often still feel sad and miss my huge portions, I’m not going to lie, the head still wants it thankfully Percy does well with cutting my portion size, mind you he still lets me graze all day on biscuits and chocolate.
Good luck, your going to totally rock this xxx

Oh Bling, I'm so glad to know it's not just me! The last few days in particular have been bad. Anything sweet or rich or just plain too much I've wanted it and, as you said, mourned it. I don't know how well I'd tolerate stuff like that with the Roux-en-Y bypass. Dumping is far more common with it and to be honest, it's one of the reasons why I chose it instead of the sleeve. It seemed like a belt and braces approach to it. But, there you go, not everyone dumps, but I'd rather not push it to try and find out!

Mr Jumbulingham is really nice, but I completely understand your nerves because I felt the same! It's another step closer to surgery becoming a reality.

That quote is so perfect! Thank you for sharing it! I think it's the unknown about what to expect is what's bothering me and I know that I will eventually find a new normal.

Oh Bling, I'm so glad to know it's not just me! The last few days in particular have been bad. Anything sweet or rich or just plain too much I've wanted it and, as you said, mourned it. I don't know how well I'd tolerate stuff like that with the Roux-en-Y bypass. Dumping is far more common with it and to be honest, it's one of the reasons why I chose it instead of the sleeve. It seemed like a belt and braces approach to it. But, there you go, not everyone dumps, but I'd rather not push it to try and find out!
I certainly wish I dumped more than I do :mad: it’s so blooming challenging, but don’t get me wrong, I have NO regrets xx

Back