• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A very uplifting day, if I do say so myself !!

Read the mag today bonita , you have really gone through the mill babe , and to get to the end of it all and wish you had never had wls must be dreadfull, it will make a lot of people think twice about going down the wsl road x

Read the mag today bonita , you have really gone through the mill babe , and to get to the end of it all and wish you had never had wls must be dreadfull, it will make a lot of people think twice about going down the wsl road x

They made that bit up. I have never said I regret getting it done, if you read through this thread you will see that I actually am glad I had it done dispite all the problems. Guess they have to make it sound good..lol

They made that bit up. I have never said I regret getting it done, if you read through this thread you will see that I actually am glad I had it done dispite all the problems. Guess they have to make it sound good..lol

Hi Bonita

Your always saying you dont regret your op even after all your problems with your stomach, and you said how good it felt when everyone didn't recognise you at the hospital. It's just a shame the magazine couldn't have made it sounds good by saying everything they did but changing the article to be a "Wow what a life saver" article instead of a "dont do this look what happens article".

It would be such a shame if someone got put off what we all know is a risky but well worth it operation due to reading that magazine, and unfortunately those people don't get to hear all the good you say about life after and how good it is to be 6 stone lighter.

Honestly the media have such a cheek.

Oh well..... so how does it feel to be a celebrity now??? Has anyone stopped you in the street yet? :p

Loved the article but was disappointed that they said you regretted it when I knew you hadnt it would have been nice for them to be truthful, you have been through so much.
Thanks for sharing that story with us Bonita

Jay xx

Hi Bonita

Your always saying you dont regret your op even after all your problems with your stomach, and you said how good it felt when everyone didn't recognise you at the hospital. It's just a shame the magazine couldn't have made it sounds good by saying everything they did but changing the article to be a "Wow what a life saver" article instead of a "dont do this look what happens article".

It would be such a shame if someone got put off what we all know is a risky but well worth it operation due to reading that magazine, and unfortunately those people don't get to hear all the good you say about life after and how good it is to be 6 stone lighter.

Honestly the media have such a cheek.

Oh well..... so how does it feel to be a celebrity now??? Has anyone stopped you in the street yet? :p

Strawberry the whole idea of running it was to get people to sit up and realise that it really is a very difficult operation and not the easy way out. Yes I agree I wish they had taken the 'it's been a rough ride but boy I'm glad I got there route'. But although they didn't do that, they did get the message across.

Its not just the people that put you down (normally the thin onces) saying things like...'why can't you just go on a diet' etc that needed to realise how hard all this is, but also a lot of pre-oppers that genuinely think this is the easy way of losing the weight and the answer to all their problems.

I know they exist because I was one of them myself. Dispite doing as much research as I could I still thought 'have the op and lose the weight, simples'. But its not at all. There is very little pre-op and post op medical advice out there, other than whats on the forums and people do seem to turn a blind eye to the problems, its that old... Oh it will never happen to me syndrome.. That bugs me.

The last time I was in hospital there were three other bypass patients all of whom had post op problems. One had a bad internal bleed, another had a serious bowel problem and a third also had a wound problem like me. There were two other patients that were fine, but one has gone on to have problems keeping food down later on.

Thats what I'm trying to get across. be prepared and make sure that you make yourself as fit as possible pre-op. This is also the message that Topsy has been trying to get across too.

For some people (not all) it takes a long time to get over this operation and we should all be prepared for that, I certainly wish people had been truthful with me (especially the medical profession).

My aim has never ever been to put anyone off having their surgery and I certainly thought long and hard before starting this thread let alone going to the mags, because I was aware it might.

It would have been very easy to sit back saying all the right things to those that have it in front of them, but that would have made me a hypocrite and something I personally wouldn't have been comfortable with.

I am glad I had it done, no denying that, but I would be lying if I said there weren't times I have bitterly regretted it too. The journey is one hell of a rollercoaster with good up days and bad down days, twists and turns that you will all experience to a certain degree.

You say its a well worth it operation, and for some people I agree it is, I also agree that when someone says 'wow you look good for the weight loss' that feels good too, but then I have to go home and get undressed and see the mess they have left me in every day. I still can't sleep on my left hand side because its too painful to say nothing of what its done to my love life, thats not so pleasant and does get me down a lot.

I might try and come across as cheerful and for the most part I am quite bubbly and cheerful, but I can tell you, feeling as I'm feeling right now, if I could do it all again,I would have run as fast as I could in the other direction.

That will probably change again in a few days/weeks/months, who knows.

Anyway thats enough of me going on, just thought I'd get all that straight...lol

I have just read the article Bonita and I am really disappointed in they way they have presented your story and YOU :eek:

If they have misquoted you as much as they appear to have done then this should be made the subject of a serious complaint. THEY HAVE BEEN TELLING LIES ABOUT YOU TO SELL EXTRA COPIES OF THEIR MAG!!!!

We all know what a terrible time you had but the fact that they have turned it into a "shock! horror! don't mutilate your body!" tabloid story does you an enormous disservice. You are being sold to the public (on the front of a magazine) as someone who regrets her operation (which we know you don't) and as someone who used to be happy and is unhappy now because of her surgery (which we know is not the Bonita we know!)

You are an incredible inspiration to us all on here and we all love you. You have to stand up for yourself about this.

Sorry if I am sounding negative here, but this article was a freak show and you are no freak honey!!!!

love

TillyBob

Strawberry the whole idea of running it was to get people to sit up and realise that it really is a very difficult operation and not the easy way out. Yes I agree I wish they had taken the 'it's been a rough ride but boy I'm glad I got there route'. But although they didn't do that, they did get the message across.

Its not just the people that put you down (normally the thin onces) saying things like...'why can't you just go on a diet' etc that needed to realise how hard all this is, but also a lot of pre-oppers that genuinely think this is the easy way of losing the weight and the answer to all their problems.

I know they exist because I was one of them myself. Dispite doing as much research as I could I still thought 'have the op and lose the weight, simples'. But its not at all. There is very little pre-op and post op medical advice out there, other than whats on the forums and people do seem to turn a blind eye to the problems, its that old... Oh it will never happen to me syndrome.. That bugs me.

The last time I was in hospital there were three other bypass patients all of whom had post op problems. One had a bad internal bleed, another had a serious bowel problem and a third also had a wound problem like me. There were two other patients that were fine, but one has gone on to have problems keeping food down later on.

Thats what I'm trying to get across. be prepared and make sure that you make yourself as fit as possible pre-op. This is also the message that Topsy has been trying to get across too.

For some people (not all) it takes a long time to get over this operation and we should all be prepared for that, I certainly wish people had been truthful with me (especially the medical profession).

My aim has never ever been to put anyone off having their surgery and I certainly thought long and hard before starting this thread let alone going to the mags, because I was aware it might.

It would have been very easy to sit back saying all the right things to those that have it in front of them, but that would have made me a hypocrite and something I personally wouldn't have been comfortable with.

I am glad I had it done, no denying that, but I would be lying if I said there weren't times I have bitterly regretted it too. The journey is one hell of a rollercoaster with good up days and bad down days, twists and turns that you will all experience to a certain degree.

You say its a well worth it operation, and for some people I agree it is, I also agree that when someone says 'wow you look good for the weight loss' that feels good too, but then I have to go home and get undressed and see the mess they have left me in every day. I still can't sleep on my left hand side because its too painful to say nothing of what its done to my love life, thats not so pleasant and does get me down a lot.

I might try and come across as cheerful and for the most part I am quite bubbly and cheerful, but I can tell you, feeling as I'm feeling right now, if I could do it all again,I would have run as fast as I could in the other direction.

That will probably change again in a few days/weeks/months, who knows.

Anyway thats enough of me going on, just thought I'd get all that straight...lol

Bonita lol

I hope you had a cuppa by your side writing that.

I totally agree with you on all accounts, My point was how the magazine made it sound like you were telling people not to have the op cause they'd end up like you did.

As it reads "I wish I had never had gastric surgery. I saw it as a solution, a quick fix to happiness.That's why I want to warn others. Listen to the risks, think about how dangerous it is. And if your still tempted, just look at these pictures. Do you really want to end up like this?"

Not everyone ends up like that and most of the people on here, even the ones who have had problems post op still say it's the best thing they've done and has changed their life in so many positive ways.

I just wish there was maybe a success story next to it to give a balanced view maybe of how life saving it can be also. Altho like you say it raises awareness of what can happen, I just hope it hasn't made people think this is whats happens if they do have Wls.

I hate these magazine's at the best of times lol.

Last edited:
I have just read the article Bonita and I am really disappointed in they way they have presented your story and YOU :eek:

If they have misquoted you as much as they appear to have done then this should be made the subject of a serious complaint. THEY HAVE BEEN TELLING LIES ABOUT YOU TO SELL EXTRA COPIES OF THEIR MAG!!!!

We all know what a terrible time you had but the fact that they have turned it into a "shock! horror! don't mutilate your body!" tabloid story does you an enormous disservice. You are being sold to the public (on the front of a magazine) as someone who regrets her operation (which we know you don't) and as someone who used to be happy and is unhappy now because of her surgery (which we know is not the Bonita we know!)

You are an incredible inspiration to us all on here and we all love you. You have to stand up for yourself about this.

Sorry if I am sounding negative here, but this article was a freak show and you are no freak honey!!!!

love

TillyBob

I certainly feel like one at the moment.

Just ignore me. The last few days have been really hard. This damn Hernia thing seems to be getting bigger by the day, looks horrible and is quite painfull. My hair is extremely thin now and doesn't look at all nice (think I might go and have it cut off before it all falls out) and I'm still being sick. Now they are saying it could be the Hernia thats making me sick.

I'm really feeling very down at the moment. Had a letter from my doctor yesterday and in it he says that he has spoken to Walsall and I still have that Proteus Infection in my wound (which is the main reason they won't sort this Hernia yet).

Would have been nice of them to tell me. Apparently this particular strain is very hard to sort out and needs long term antibiotics, of which they have prescribed none so far since being discharged. He has also written to my local hospital and asked them to see me as a matter of urgency to A, have a corset fitted and B, to visit the phsycologist as he feels I need to at least talk all this through with someone, but they may turn me down again because I am a Walsall patient, will have to wait and see.

On a positive note, I don't know whether I mentioned it before but I have a very elderly dog who didn't seem to be at all well. Last night we took him to the vets convinced that we would have to say goodbye to him, but his test results came through fine. It seems he has nothing more than a bit of a bug and a little Arthritis which given that he's over 20 human years old is hardly surprising.

The vet gave him an injection and some tablets to bring home and this morning he's running around like his old self again. I'm so relieved, I'm not sure how I would have told my son if we had put him to sleep last night, as they grew up together.

I see its another lovely day out there today so going to get hubbie to join me in a long walk later I think, a bit of natural Serotonin is good for the brain and well being they reckon....lol

Have a good day everyone.

xx

Hi Bonita,

I have not read the article in the mag yet but I have been reading your thread over the last few months.

I just wanted to say thanks for your honest portrayal of the facts of your surgery. This helped me make an informed decision for myself.

I am sorry to hear that you are still going through medical problems but I hope you keep your positive outlook and keep us informed about your 'real' journey!

You are truely an inspiration!

Hi Bonita personally I didn't think the article in the magazine sounded like you at all, having read your thread you are so different on here.

Sorry you are still going through such a hard time. I am not surprised the hernia is making you sick it being the size of a head. Hope they give you the antibiotics asap. I just want to give you a big hug. Take care.

Hi Bonita
Sorry you are having such a tough time i really hope it gets better for you soon. Glad to hear you came back from the vets with your beloved dog i lost 3 dogs within 8 months each one of them put to sleep at the vets its such a hard thing to do. I really hope you do start to feel better Bonita and again i'm amazed at your strength x

The senior district nurse has just been and signed me off at last. She said that there is no reason I can't do the wound management myself now. I am so pleased because its a step in the right direction.

She also told me that they have another lady on their books (again from Walsall)that is going through exactly the same thing I did, even down to not being able to get the Vac Dressing fitted. She said that their supervisor is going to complain to our PCT about the way that Walsall behave with regards to their post operative care.

She did say that in her discussions with Walsall in the past it seems they try to push as much into our doctors hands as they can post op, because its such a long journey for a lot of patients to make on a regular basis, but as she says that is wrong because A. The community nurses are not equipped and B. It really is down to the patient as to whether they are prepared to make the journey or not, and if they aren't then Walsall should agree to fund any treatment that our local hospital has to do, which of course they won't.

She also felt that although my wound isn't fully healed yet, it certainly is healed enough to sort this Hernia out and that I should have a go at them because its far too big to be left, which is what I've just done.

I rang both Mr Khans secretry and P.A.L.S and I intend to keep on at them now, enough is enough. So fingers crossed that all this complaining will get some results this time.

Have a nice day

xxxx

Good for you Bonita - i am disgusted at the way you have been treated by Walsall and your own PCT. When i go to see Mr Khan at the end of the month for my 6wk check (16wks post op!!!!) i will be having a few words about the lack of post op care for bypass patients.

You keep on complaining until they sort you out once and for all - sending hugs and fairy dust xx

Wow Bonita, what a woman!!
The journey you have been thru - such a battler!!

:0clapper:

Your story in the paper, seems they have changed bits to make good reading, bit still - you've been thru it somewhat.

Glad your on the mend now - even thou your wound still isn't perfect.

Your an insparation to us all.
xx

Back