• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

All booked and now on that road of no return

Well it's Saturday morning and the sun has gone into hiding at the moment and we have a very gentle rain . I woke early as the smell of the rain hitting the patio woke me up , I love that smell !
This week I am really struggling with my right knee . Wow it hurts . It feels like someone is in there with a paring knife digging . When I'm resting it's ok , but when I get up to walk arghhhh ! I'm limping worse than I have ever have ..
Hubby said something that I thought made a little sense ? He said losing the weight should help the joint in the long run , but he wonders if losing fat inside the joint as well has taken away some of the padding in there ? It might be true . All I know is this sucker hurts like a bugger :(
Got an appointment on tues with the doctor to try and get daughter a referral , God I hope it happens , I hate seeing her struggle , esp in this warm weather ..
Well that's my moaning done for today lol ! Onwards and upwards , ... or downwards :)

Good luck getting the referral.
I'm sorry the pain isn't easing in your knee, are you going to be able to see anyone about that?
I have various splints and supports I got from the orthotic team for various joints and they really help with the pain so maybe worth considering? Places like Boots have ones you can buy over the counter but they are petty expensive.
X

Thanks Fee
I think it may be something I have to live with until I lose enough weight to have a knee replacement ..
I just thought with the weight coming off the knee would not hurt so much ..
A customer said it's probably because I have lost a lot of weight , I'm walking differently , my body is more balanced ..?
I dunno lol .. But it sounds good :) ahahaha !
I will just plod along until such times I can get surgical help .. About another 6 stone away :)

That could well be part of it. When I had physio last I realised I was walking in such a way as to take pressure off the most painful part of my feet but it was straining other joints and also made me even more unstable. Learning to correct my gait did make it more painful but I also did a lot of dedicated work around accepting permanent pain. You're probably walking a bit taller because you feel and look better :) but it totally sucks that this is happening.
At least it will hopefully mean less of a wait come knee surgery time and no one is going to go on about your weight :)

Understand your frustration with the pain, totally understandable expectation you had about reduction in pain as the weight came off but seems these things are never are straight forward. Wishing you best of luck in managing the pain until the surgery.

I won't be able to weigh in this week as I have swapped shifts tomorrow .. Usually I have the morning off and can pop along to Boots but I want to go with my daughter to the docs in the pm ..
So I will have to wait another week to weigh myself ... Not overly bothered as then it gives me a little while longer to get 4lb off to get my 4st loss :)
I have another band fill at the end of the month . Initially after the last one , that put me up to 5ml , I didn't want to,push my luck and have any more in there and have some of the side affects that others have had .. But I'm hungry a lot of the time and I'm finding it hard to keep control of myself and not over eat ..
I could still eat a big plate full of food if wanted to , it's only been my will power that stops me half way through ..
So I might see if just 1/2ml might just give me what I need ..
We will see :)
Mindy
Xxxx

I get the impression it can be a bit trail and error finding the 'sweet spot'. It sounds like you're being incredibly restrained but maybe another fill will take the pressure off you a bit x

Ah fingers crossed appointment with your daughter goes well- does she know which surgery she's thinking about yet?
Can't believe you've lost 4 stone country- that's just brilliant! Inspiration to the lot of us! X

Yep everything crossed for her. Plus you're proof how well WLS works :)

You've done so well so far, and been so practical I'm sure you'll make the right decision about your fill, looks like you've given it enough time to determine if another fill is required and hopefully this time, it will hit the spot. and all the best with your daughter.

Ok we went to the appointment
Very proud of my daughter for stating her case and not dissolving into foods of tears . Even when he had to get 2 scales for her to stand on as the one set didn't go up to her weight .. She weighed in at 26.8st bless her ..
He was very nice about it all and put her at her ease and put her on Tier 2 ?
She gets 12 weeks free at slimmers world and he gave her some of those damn fat busting pills that make you crap yourself if you eat fat ! I know she won't take them as she drives for a living Roflll
So I've tried looking up info on the tier 2 and can't find much on it

Any tips from anyone about this part of the journey would be gratefully received .. This is going to be a long road for her isn't it ?
All I can do is support her and encourage her .. We will find a slimmers world class that is away from from where live s we don't bump into anyone we know as I know she would be so embarrassed ..
Any hints please
Mindy
Xxxx

Last edited:
Here you have to do tier 2 as a way of documenting that you have tried to lose weight the more conventional way before they put you on tier 3 which is more supported and personalised. It's a bit frustrating because I don't think most people get to the stage of asking about surgery without trying to diet first but like a lot of the NHS WLS process it seems about proving you are prepared to really try and help yourself and stay committed to losing weight.
I was given orlistat a couple of times and it did nothing tbh. I even eat fat deliberately several times to try and 'help' with my bowel problems and it never gave me anything like the trots once but other people are at the other end of the spectrum.
It is going to be a long road I'm afraid, a marathon not a sprint BUT even though there will be times when it feels like nothing will ever change and she won't ever get to the losers bench she will. I had a friend lose nearly 10 stone with Slimming World so maybe it will be the thing that works for her and if not she's still helping herself by trying x

Thank you Fee
I keep buying lottery tickets in the hope of winning her enough to have the surgery ASAP
Xxx

Well you have to be in it to win it :)
Hopefully seeing you losing so well will help your daughter to stay positive while she waits too. One of the most important things though is she knows you won't judge her for her desire to have WLS x

Ok we went to the appointment
Very proud of my daughter for stating her case and not dissolving into foods of tears . Even when he had to get 2 scales for her to stand on as the one set didn't go up to her weight .. She weighed in at 26.8st bless her ..
He was very nice about it all and put her at her ease and put her on Tier 2 ?
She gets 12 weeks free at slimmers world and he gave her some of those damn fat busting pills that make you crap yourself if you eat fat ! I know she won't take them as she drives for a living Roflll
So I've tried looking up info on the tier 2 and can't find much on it

Any tips from anyone about this part of the journey would be gratefully received .. This is going to be a long road for her isn't it ?
All I can do is support her and encourage her .. We will find a slimmers world class that is away from from where live s we don't bump into anyone we know as I know she would be so embarrassed ..
Any hints please
Mindy
Xxxx
Can completely relate to your daughter on this especially the scale thing. My doctors didn't even have one that could take my weight. and love how you are doing everything to help her. Maybe you can both do some activities together as well as slimming world? Sorry don't know much about tier 2 :( xx

It's been a long old week because I didn't weigh in last Wednesday due to working .. My brain wakes up and immediately thinks about the scales and if I've got my 4st loss .. Can't wait till this Wednesday !

On Sunday , Father's Day , me , hubby and both girls went to Hengistbury Head for the day .. Wow it was so busy ! I've never seen so many people . Dogs and walkers all over the place .. I don't have a dog as I just don't have the time to look after one , but I love them .. My youngest has a mutt called Poppy and I adore her like I would a grandchild and it brightens my day no end to spend time with her .. .. Poppy loved the Head , saying hello to all the different dogs , you've never seen so many waggy tails in all your life ! So many puppies as well , my poor heart !

We decided to do a little crabbing behind the head and as I can't take my mobility scooter on the sand I had to walk .. It was amazing ! To be able to walk and talk without getting out of breath and my knee wasn't to bad either .. I think the sand worked as a buffer and I managed really well .. It was a 15 min walk to where we wanted to go , doesn't sound far but for me before this band , it would have been impossible .. I also climbed up some rocks ! Youngest sprints over them like a deer and wanted to crab right on the end of the rocks and I thought , I'm not missing out on this , so without thinking I'm on the rocks and scrabbling after her .. Hubby realises where I've gone and is shouting that he's not going to call the bloody life guards to save me and I can swim back Hahahaha !
I made it to ! Good job the rocks were dry , but I havnt done that since the kids were teenagers I guess .. The look on youngest face when she saw me behind her was worth it :)

They ate pasties and ice creams and a cream tea and I sat and watched them feeling so happy that we were all together and didn't worry about the food on the table .. I settled for a baked potato with cheese and bacon and I thoroughly enjoyed it and never once felt like I was missing out .. Now , pre band , I would have eaten all on the table and finished their plates off as well ! Just goes to show we don't need to eat like we did ..
:):):):)

Back