• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone watching holby city bbc 1 18 feb?

I watched it, although it mostly seemed to be about that annoying bint from Big Brother.

If anything it just reinforced to me why I had my band!

same here ! I don't understand why she wanted to be filmed in an orange far to small gym kit and be seen jumping up and down with her belly hanging out, was she doing a Christmas keep fit dvd maybe? hmmm! that screen reminded me of when the weather girl from gmtv was papped in her local park in nearly the same outfit ,then after a time put out her own keep fit dvd .

just started c4 big fat bill

dispatches on now regarding weight lose and how nhs is battling with it

Watching it now :)

Didn't like the surgery scenes it made my wounds twitch :D

There were a few surgery scenes but not that many.

really really puzzled. They showed St Georges and stated that there was no tier three funding so they couldn't do the ops.. I had never heard of tier three until after I had my op...it was funded by St Georges to have my op at a private hospital on the NHS.. I always knew I was lucky to get funding but now I think I may have been given it by mistake... oops not getting a refund from me!

glad I watched it but it has got me in a bit of a tizz.ive had the psy meetings, blood tests, heart tests the lot and in feb will be off to homerton to meet the team then in march meet the surgeon. ive been told to get to this stage means the funding has been approved.but on this programme a manager said since aug 2013 something like over 100 operations had been "deferred " and were been reviewed .so im a tad worried.should I ring homerton and ask or wait till I go in feb? or if ive not heard anything does that mean im ok? what should I do??

I was puzzled when I got the funding as I was surprised at how quick it all took. I first discussed weight loss surgery in June 2013 with my GP and then had the op in October 2013... my surgery has already changed my life completely and utterly. I have been given a gift. I hope the issues of funding get sorted for all.. I wish everyone can have what I have been so fortunate to have.

Some of that programme didn't seem right to me. So the woman who had asthma etc couldn't lose weight despite eating one salad a day - yet after having a gastric band she lost three stone in three months?

Also they said the gastric band 'leaves you with a stomach the size of an egg cup'. Er no. No wonder there are so many misconceptions about bariatric surgery.

That is quick!! Do you mind if I ask your start bmi? I'm moving to your PCT lol

My starting bmi was over 40, plus I had diabetes and hypothyroidism. Diabetes has reversed since the op.

part of the story is a female who has had the gastric band op she has eaten a solid and caused a blockage she has a crush on the doctor and gets let down by him so goes into the toilet and stuffs her face with chocolates causing her to throw up and she is now throwing up blood ..
now I know its a tv hospital drama but can this really happen ?
I don't wish to worry any one

Ive not seen it sorry and I have no idea about whether this could happen but now I want to watch it! Iplayer it is! Sounds horrible tbh:( suppose the blockage could be the cause

they said it was her eating solids too soon after having the band fitted so the doc took some fluids out of her band when he shouldn't have to let what had caused the blockage to go down instead she over ate !
it ended up with her having the band removed lime I said I know its fiction but it must have some grounding in true life

I just posted on the banding board about this - the fact is, she'd just had it placed. When they did the removal of liquid, they said they'd removed 10mls. 10mls would not be placed into the band at the time of surgery. Bands are only 8, 10/11 or 14mls anyway, and some providers do place a small amount at the time, maybe 3/4mls, but not 10mls placed.

Yes if someone stuffs food down it can block, food gets stuck, but it wasn't an accurate portrayal of banding. I know the storyline was more about the doctor, but their portrayal of bariatric surgery patients only goes to fuel the judgements that people make. And it puts such a stereotyped view of people who have it.

On another group I'm on, people were really angry at this, and some have even complained to the BBC.

Poor!

I think it told the story well about why some people are not suitable for bariatric surgery. Im always shouting at the tv whist watching Holby but it gave some understanding why they make us jump through the hoops the way they do its not always just to be mean :/ x

Back