• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits about having had the sleeve!

so glad you're doing so well hope :) xxx

Hi everyone

Please keep this thread going it's really useful for those of us that are hoping to get a sleeve at some time in the near future.

Thank you all for being so honest. It must be really difficult to write things down when you just want to let the bad stuff to bu**er off!

Tessy..x

One odd con for me is burping when im hungry and just after eating, anyone else get this ???
One positive, it was nice to be able to have a tiny piece of friends birthday cake without the awful guilt feeling :)

I have had a wrap but have the exact same burping issue! At least its not the other end though :)

flowerofshona said:
One odd con for me is burping when im hungry and just after eating, anyone else get this ???
One positive, it was nice to be able to have a tiny piece of friends birthday cake without the awful guilt feeling :)

Hehehe yes I get this normally when I start to get full and after eating lol x

Hi Vanda,
Have you recovered?
If yes, please can you pass on your experiences.

I am still researching the right tool for me, Wrap/Sleeve, therefore can you tell me what swayed your decision to opt for the Sleeve and what was involved medically , check up etc, how long you had to wait once you had booked it and how you are feeling up-to-date?

Thank you in advance
New look.

HoPe *87*,
I have been following your journey, like other posters, I love your honesty too. You seem so down to earth and i'm sure it wont be long before the positives surface too. However you are not letting anyone down by stating your factual experiences and I would rather hear the negatives too.
Good luck
New look

Thanks new look :) I have a diary on here to have u found that? Where are u in ur journey? I'm a very down to earth and feel honesty is the best policy. I feel that if I can help other people by my experience a will be a happy girl xx

Hello
I hope to get a band and it is really helpful to get an understanding of the changes to expect.
Please keep updating this thread as I have over 9 months to go for my op, and I need to keep motivated!
xxx

HoPe*87* said:
Hi all, my last post on this thread was at 4 weeks post op and I'm now coming up 8 weeks post op. I read my post back and for all everything I wrote is/ was true at the time of writing things are different now so thought I would post again :)
Cons - I do get pain occasionally when I eat to much or it doesn't agree, forget to eat, uncomfortable about eating out (I'm sure this will pass in time), no fizzy drinks which I miss especially in this hot weather, I've missed out on alot of social outings with my friends and family due to not eating and no alcohol. I probably would be ok to have alcohol now but don't want to, I could have went out and not drank but decided to not bother, my stomach/chest makes some very strange and loud noises at times, constant questions from people gets in my nerves a little, worrying about if I'm gonna lose weight week by week, daren't go shopping for new clothes.

Pros - I've lost 2 stone 11 lb!! I have loads of energy and feel loads better in my self, my confidence is better, I can do things I couldn't b4 ie I mowed the lawn :) I have very little back pain, life is much easier, get lots of nice comments, my fluid intake is much better now and I'm ok with hot drinks now in fact I'm like a tea wife lol, I want to get out of bed in a morning, I don't think about food all the time now.
So that's me for now :) :)
Very happy and so pleased I had a sleeve wouldn't have wanted any other op it's been great for me xx

Hi all,
my last post was at 8 weeks post op I'm now 14 weeks post op so thought I'd do an update!
Cons- some are still the same as b4, I still make strange noises from my chest/stomach but not as much as b4, I seem to have days when I forget to eat but also days when I do feel hungry , worrying about weight loss and if I'm doing things right, constant questions from people can get on ur nerves at times, the first thing people say to me is how much weight have u lost now not hello or how are u lol, people also seem to be saying u need to stop losing weight now ur skinny enough! They didn't say u need to stop stuffing ur face now ur to fat when I was the opposite way!! They now think they can comment! Sorry I think there more pros and cons of people rather than the sleeve lol

Pros :) :) - weight loss!! I've now lost 4 stone since my op, 6 stone 9lb since my heaviest, my bmi has gone from 42 to 27!!, I have energy, I now enjoy clothes shopping :), I have more confidence, my back pain is virtually gone now, lots of nice compliments, I decided wot I eat and when food no longer controls me!, I even went to the hospital I got my op done at and help with a seminar last week told pre op patients my story I wouldn't have dreamed of publicly speaking about anything b4!

If I knew wot I know now and they turned back time would I do it again?? Without a shadow of a doubt YES!!!
I had an appointment yesterday with the gp that referred me for wls, first time I've seen him since my op. I thanked him for changing my life so hopefully anyone else that sees him he will think of wot good it's done for me and he will refer them :) :)

Anyone else got an update? Xx

5 months post op.

I weigh 10st 8-10 lbs (fluctuating a bit, annoyingly!)

Cons: weight loss has slowed down a LOT. I'd like to rush to goal (another stone off) and then maintain, although everyone says maintaining is much harder than losing. But at not even six months post op I know there's no rush.

I do get hungry, has my ghrelin started coming back??

I don't think I'll ever get used to not drinking with a meal.

Pros: I look great, feel great, and enjoy what I eat, however little that is.

15weeks post op

And now 17st 6 was 22st 4lbs

Good things , I feel so much better more energy , of bp medication thyroid medication has been reduced , and gone down 6 dress sizes

Bad things about the sleeve am find it that am feeling hungry more , I thought that feeling would not come back so soon but do eat heathy as still got another 75lbs to loss to get to goal. Starting to get some reflux at night and little pain

Apart from that glad to have had my sleeve so lost almost 4 stone since op and stone with pre op diet I am a happy bunny

I will be 7 weeks post op Friday.

Cons: questioning myself and by weight loss constantly. Not easy to have lunch if you are out when not planned to be, when I forget and drink too fast (ouch!!!!), what I perceive to be slow weight loss.

Pros: no longer a slave to crap food, inch loss, compliments, men chatting me up, smaller clothes, feeling for once I will get to goal one way or another.

Regardless of any cons, and last Friday feeling I was near regret, I am actually happy I has my op and will keep working with this tool :)

Hi All,

I only joined the site today, I am 3.5 weeks post-op, I had my surgery on the 21st April (gastric Sleeve), and apart from the first few days of pain etc, I'm feeling really good, I do have days where I'm weaker than others, and I also get the occasional day when I have pains in my stomach but in general I'm ok, I also started back at work this week, and feel as though I'm getting back to normal.
At the moment I'm still on the fluid regime, and I'm finding it hard to have as much as I am meant to, I should be having 6 shakes a day and honestly am only managing 3, with that I'm drinking but not as much as I should either. Has anyone else experienced this? what also worries me is I lost 7kilos the first week 4 the next, but this week I haven't lost anything, is this normal, Its a bit disheartening as I thought the first few weeks were meant to be when you dropped the most, could it be that I'm not having enough fluids and therefore I'm not losing, also suffering from constipation which doesn't help, but all in all still 100% happy I have had it, the best decision I have ever made and I am so looking forward to the future, Its also wonderful to be able to share my experience and talk to others in the same position.
Kind regards all.....

Sarah

Sazdami said:
Hi All,

I only joined the site today, I am 3.5 weeks post-op, I had my surgery on the 21st April (gastric Sleeve), and apart from the first few days of pain etc, I'm feeling really good, I do have days where I'm weaker than others, and I also get the occasional day when I have pains in my stomach but in general I'm ok, I also started back at work this week, and feel as though I'm getting back to normal.
At the moment I'm still on the fluid regime, and I'm finding it hard to have as much as I am meant to, I should be having 6 shakes a day and honestly am only managing 3, with that I'm drinking but not as much as I should either. Has anyone else experienced this? what also worries me is I lost 7kilos the first week 4 the next, but this week I haven't lost anything, is this normal, Its a bit disheartening as I thought the first few weeks were meant to be when you dropped the most, could it be that I'm not having enough fluids and therefore I'm not losing, also suffering from constipation which doesn't help, but all in all still 100% happy I have had it, the best decision I have ever made and I am so looking forward to the future, Its also wonderful to be able to share my experience and talk to others in the same position.
Kind regards all.....

Sarah

A stall is normal at around three weeks don't worry it will soon start moving I had four stalls and I am 15 weeks post op stall x

Nearly 17 weeks post op.

was 23stone 1 pound
now 18 stone

Cons - Must admit at first I had times when I thought, what have I done. I was being sick I had terrible reflux, I could hardly eat anything, 1 maybe 2 fish fingers. Couldn't drink what I was supposed to. Now I am so glad I had the operation done. It was worth all the pain, suffering and sickness.

Pros - I am a size 20 from a 32 - 6 dress sizes, it is wonderful. I feel smashing. I no longer feel like a fat blob walking round. I have so much more energy, I can do the gardening. I am now at the stage where I try to eat anything I want. Albeit reduced amounts, but the pleasure of having different food.

I haven't had bacon or steak as I don't think they will digest well.

Tracey, I had terrible reflux of a night and I have been told to take a Lansoprazole of a night as well as a morning and it works great. I also have a pillow wedge to sit me up more.

Bethany:D

Sarah, if you continued to drop at the rate of 7lbs or even 4lbs a week, you'd disappear down the nearest plughole! Of course it's going to slow down and even stall after a couple of weeks. I had a complete stall at 2 weeks post op that lasted for 2 weeks. Your body has to adjust to what's going on before it "lets go" and you start losing again.

Yes if you're dehydrated it won't help with either the stalling or the constipation. You can't do much in the way of heavy exercise yet but you can do some walking at this stage, so do that; everything helps!

I just love this thread :) its so nice to know there's others experiencing what I'm going through as it makes me feel a little normal.

Like Hope, I too felt very negative for the first weeks after the op. It was very uncomfortable to eat. I also had problems drinking enough fluid. The weight dropped off me so that compensated for it but the weight loss has now stopped for 4 weeks and i keep getting diarrhea. I was getting very depressed about everything. I felt that I has swopped one lot of health problems for another and still do. I have not gone through all this to loose only 4 and a half stone. Will I ever be able to eat properly again ( small amounts). I used to enjoy food ( too much) but now I hate it. I feel that people going into operation do not get enough counselling and are definately not told enough about the conseqences of the op. I hope I feel more positive in 12 months time but now I need to diet (thought all that was behind me) and increase exercise. Will it all be worthwhile in the end??

Back