• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits about having had the sleeve!

I am almost 7 months out from having my sleeve.

Bad bits since operation - severe nausea for roughly 5 months. Getting over it now. Missing eating Bread, spicy food, fizzy juice.

Best Bits since operation - almost 7 stone lighter. Down 4 dress sizes. Feel good and lots of people notice and say well done. Have lots more get up and go than before. Sleeping better and all night. Not being uncomfortable with the hot weather last week.

Roll on another 4 stone and shopping in any shop for clothes

I'm 9 weeks post-op...weight stalled for the 2nd time but, not worried as I know it will come off.

Two weeks before I was weighed before my surgery , I was 21st 3lbs...lost a few pounds through fear affecting my appetite and was weighed 4 days before surgery (wasn't required to do a pre-op diet) at 20st 10lbs.
This morning I weighed 18st 4lbs....so am 1lb shy of having lost 3st (2st 6lbs post-op).

Best bits about having a sleeve? Every thing ! Being able to eat anything I like (within the guidelines) albeit tiny amounts but, I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything at all.

Can't think of any bad bits...don't miss bread or red meat, so that's not an issue, don't miss having a diet coke either.
Maybe not being able to eat and drink at the same time...that's taking some planning around on a daily basis.

Am looking forward to the future and learning to work with my sleeve for life.

im only 10 days out and im loving it!!
I had no pain after the op, I can drink well, ive found my soft cue too :) When my pouch is full i do a great big hiccup lol
it was well embarassing at bingo tonight!! :D
I cant wait to start soft food on Wednesday!! woohoo!
And ive lost 31lb since my pre op started on 7th May.
I love my little banana tummy :) xxx

I'm 9 weeks post-op...weight stalled for the 2nd time but, not worried as I know it will come off.

Two weeks before I was weighed before my surgery , I was 21st 3lbs...lost a few pounds through fear affecting my appetite and was weighed 4 days before surgery (wasn't required to do a pre-op diet) at 20st 10lbs.
This morning I weighed 18st 4lbs....so am 1lb shy of having lost 3st (2st 6lbs post-op).

Best bits about having a sleeve? Every thing ! Being able to eat anything I like (within the guidelines) albeit tiny amounts but, I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything at all.

Can't think of any bad bits...don't miss bread or red meat, so that's not an issue, don't miss having a diet coke either.
Maybe not being able to eat and drink at the same time...that's taking some planning around on a daily basis.

Am looking forward to the future and learning to work with my sleeve for life.
Dd you ask why no pre op diet was required, i thought it had to be done to shrink the liver whichever op you have??

Kim

Hi
Mr.Patel, apparently, doesn't require you to do a pre-op diet...., no Endoscopy either...count myself very lucky !
The Endoscopy is done at the same time as the surgery.
I had a Gastric Sleeve.

Mr Patel doesn't seemed to be too concerned about liver shrinkage.

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet either.

Good job too, pre op appointment on the Friday op on the following Thursday!

I had POSE and have lost 3 stone 7 lbs but the weight loss has been slow and steady. My friend wants to lose a lot more weight and quicker and thinks the sleeve is the best for her. How long does the operation take and how long do you have to stay in hospital? She will be funding it privately because of the long NHS wait. Is there much pain after the operation ?

The time the operation takes is different from person to person. I am told mine was about 4 hours but I may have got that wrong.

I had a little discomfort in my chest after coming around and the from main incision, but on the whole I would say I have been pain free with the exception of a hematoma under the main incision, the other 5 healed quickly and painlessly

Redlass said:
I had POSE and have lost 3 stone 7 lbs but the weight loss has been slow and steady. My friend wants to lose a lot more weight and quicker and thinks the sleeve is the best for her. How long does the operation take and how long do you have to stay in hospital? She will be funding it privately because of the long NHS wait. Is there much pain after the operation ?

Surgery time varies mine only took 1 and a half hours, I was admitted on Thursday had my op Friday morning and would have been discharged sunday but i was finding it difficult to eat so they kept me in till the Monday. I won't lie, I was in pain after the op, wind pain incision pain and pain when trying to eat. But after a few days that settled and I was pain free apart from the odd twinge if I moved to quick etc. The sleeve has worked really well for me :) I got mine on the nhs but there are a lot of people on here that have had surgery privately that will be willing to answer any questions to, hope this helps x

I think my op was just under two hours. Two days after my op I walked to my daughter's house (5 mns) and was able to socialize for a short time. The following morning (Saturday, our Sabbath) I walked to synagogue (8 minutes) and behaved in such a way that nobody there could have told I was 3 days post op. Any pain I had was dealt with by a hot water bottle. I am very pleased with my sleeve as you can see by my stats.

Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie to the site having spent the last few months seriously considering and researching WLS and went for a free appointment today with a WLS dietician at Spire.

To be honest in my gut I know this is the right route for me but I know my friends and family would not understand or support me so I'm keeping it all to myself and finding the lack of support/someone to talk to really hard. Has anyone else gone through with surgery where they've not told others? How do you deal with all the questions on work leave and your sudden weight loss?

I'm going to have to privately fund somehow because I don't want to wait to keep putting on more weight and deteriorating health before the NHS will consider me, I want to be pre-emptive because I've been overweight since I was 10 years old and it does majorly affect my life.

As I've researched more into it I've switched thoughts from Balloon to Band to POSE and now pretty sure I've settled on the gastric sleeve being best for me. Thanks for starting this thread ruthie and to everyone sharing their pros and cons, it's really helpful to read and get the real picture, please keep posting!

Has anyone in the North London/Beds/Herts area had private surgery and could recommend? I'd like to check out a few options rather than just go to the nearest hospital

Thanks xx

My surgery was in London at the Princess Grace hospital (W1 area) and my experiences were very good.

I had my sleeve with Cosmetic Bliss in Czech Republic, I had no pain meds after, and am loving my weight loss. If you want anymore info please ask :)
Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie to the site having spent the last few months seriously considering and researching WLS and went for a free appointment today with a WLS dietician at Spire.

To be honest in my gut I know this is the right route for me but I know my friends and family would not understand or support me so I'm keeping it all to myself and finding the lack of support/someone to talk to really hard. Has anyone else gone through with surgery where they've not told others? How do you deal with all the questions on work leave and your sudden weight loss?

I'm going to have to privately fund somehow because I don't want to wait to keep putting on more weight and deteriorating health before the NHS will consider me, I want to be pre-emptive because I've been overweight since I was 10 years old and it does majorly affect my life.

As I've researched more into it I've switched thoughts from Balloon to Band to POSE and now pretty sure I've settled on the gastric sleeve being best for me. Thanks for starting this thread ruthie and to everyone sharing their pros and cons, it's really helpful to read and get the real picture, please keep posting!

Has anyone in the North London/Beds/Herts area had private surgery and could recommend? I'd like to check out a few options rather than just go to the nearest hospital

Thanks xx
as above honey, if u want any info on my sleeve or Cosmetic Bliss please just ask, good luck :) xxx

I had mine with the Spire in Leicester and they were fab. Good luck on your decision and if you need anything let us know x

Mr Patel doesn't seemed to be too concerned about liver shrinkage.

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet either.

Good job too, pre op appointment on the Friday op on the following Thursday!

I too didn't do preop diet. Was a little concerned when I came onto this forum and it seemed standard. I just put it down to having the surgery abroad. So nice to see I wasn't the only one. But I did have endoscopy and tests at least 8 months prior to op.

Hi all,
I had sleeve 8 months ago.....
worst bit...... missing white crusty bread
best bit........ EVERYTHING ELSE.. It was THE best decision I have ever made. I can eat anything I like but some things eg bread are just too filling and uncomfy to digest.
My weight is down now by 5st
I can cross my legs again
Buy any size 12 clothes and they fit
Wear high heals without my feet killing
Run without getting out of breath
I share my teenage daughters clothes
I look 10 years younger too X

Had my sleeve done three days ago at the Chelsfield, brilliant bariatric team and so far feeling fine. Love this thread ?

Back