• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits about having had the sleeve!

Ruthiep

I saw a thread like this only about bypass, so I thought I'd start one about the sleeve.

I'm 13 weeks (3 full calendar months) post op.

So far my worst bits are:

Having quite bad pain on eating certain foods, including my favourite vegetables, particularly broccoli. Cabbage is slightly better but I can only eat a little before I get the pain. I get pain quite a lot when I eat, but it might be my fault for eating too fast and not chewing well enough, but I am trying! I do miss bread, but not so much that it bothers me unduly.

Not "going" regularly like I used to; having to always have help to make a bowel movement.

Not being able to eat and drink at the same time; I really miss drinking with my meals.

I miss Schweppes Slimline Bitter Lemon, but not nearly as much as I thought I would.

Having to mislead (lie to?) people who ask me outright what I've done to lose the weight. I have chosen carefully who I have told about my sleeve. I wish I could shout it from the rooftops but I know people would be judgmental and think "Oh well she's cheated.."
Feeling cold, always. The blubber kept me warm!

The best parts:

My osteo arthritis has got SOOO much better. I have no more pain in my spine, not much pain in my knees, and only a little pain in my right foot. That was the main reason I had this op.

Being slim again! I look great and feel great.
Getting "wow" comments wherever I go on my weight loss.
Seeing that under all the blubber I am actually petite!
Shopping for clothes anywhere I like, and buying young fashions in sizes 12 and 14! Loving it!!
Looking at a size 16 or 18 and knowing it will be much too big!!
Sleeping better. MUCH better.

The pain on eating is a good thing too; it keeps me from overeating.

Anyone else want to join in and list their best and worst parts of having the sleeve?

Tracey37

I am only 4 and half weeks post op

at the moment the only bad part of having a sleeve for me is having to take someting everyday so i can open my bowels but apart from that am loving my new sleeve
have going from a size 28/30 too a 24 which i am realy happy about and that some of my health problems are getting better x

suzie290304

I'm 8 weeks post op and my worst bits are also pain when eating, can't drink cold drinks, having to wait 1 hour after eating to drink I wouldn't mind if it was 30 mins rule like most. But if I'm out in the morning I have to sometimes miss breakfast so I can have drinks and dinner at a reasonable time. Also suffer from constipation, it takes a lot of effort to cook for the amount I eat. not being able to binge like I used to (although a good thing too but I didn't get big for no reason at all and I like my food and sometimes miss it lol). Having to take regular medication. Money on clothes :)
My positives are Iv gone from a size 24-22 to 16-18 :) enjoy trying on clothes now and had a comment on how well dressed I was and where did I get my top from (trendy at last lol). Starting to feel good about myself and making an effort on my hair make up and nails. Dog walks have got longer and doing a little bit running (never thought I would say that). Eating so much healthier meals and enjoying it, food tastes so much nicer. Not being able to binge :) saving money on food. I feel happier and healthier than ever and starting to get my energy back :) hope I haven't forgot anything, I would not change my sleeve for the world and so happy I went through with it x x x

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
All of the above, its the best thing ive ever done.
Love not feeling hungry all the time and not grazing all day. Im eating really well and my skin is clear and my hair is thick and shiny. These are the food choices i should have been making all my life but didnt until now, its so much more than just size for me. Im bloody happy and i love it:)
Kim

vanda

I'm having my sleeve next week, so it was great to read all the positives. The negatives thankfully arent too bad either :)

Last edited:

HoPe*87*

I'm only 4 weeks post op and feel like I have had a pretty rough ride so don't want to comment on this thread just yet until I can put some more positives on. I have enjoyed reading everybody's posts tho :) x

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
I'm only 4 weeks post op and feel like I have had a pretty rough ride so don't want to comment on this thread just yet until I can put some more positives on. I have enjoyed reading everybody's posts tho :) x
id rather hear it tbh, not everyone has an easy ride, hope its easier for you now :) xx

lyndajoan

yes i tend to agree with caron i think it best to put down what you have been through cos it may help someone who is going through the same later on. xxxx

DEANO76

Pros,

weight loss, better mobility, aiming to start fitness trining in 2 weeks if i get the all clear from the Hospital. Feel healthy, knee pain and back ache going.

Cons,

Miss Fizzy drink and alcohol, miss certain foods, eating something thinking its ok and 5 mins later being doubled up in pain. People keep saying i have lost weight in my face, its the belly i want them saying i have lost weight from lol. THe horrible bloated feeling after eating a tiny amount. The flabby parts.

Ruthiep

Hope 87: I also think you should write your worst bits. People should know, and be prepared in case it happens to them.

Pro and Con at once for me: My personal trainer no longer has ANY mercy on me! When I was fat and debilitated with arthritis our workout was gentle, pretty pathetic to be honest, and only lasted half an hour. Now we're up to 45 minutes, and aiming for the full hour, and yesterday she brought out my dreaded 12kg Russian Kettlebell again!!! Lucky for me I already sold the 20kg version on ebay a while back LOL.

No but seriously, it's all good. I'll get a toned body as well as a slimmer one, thanks to her and her merciless workouts!

Oh another pro: I very seldom if ever, feel really hungry any more. Peckish is the best I would describe it as, and it's so easily satisfied with such a little amount of food.

HoPe*87*

Ok here goes, my cons so far- I was in serious pain after op in hospital. The night after my op I was awake all night in agony! The constant pain calmed however the day I was due to start eating then when I swallowed food the pain I got when it hit my stomach was unreal!! I was kept in hospital longer as they were worried. That sub sided with no explanation. I came home and spent days lying round the house with little energy to move. After about 2 weeks I got better returned to work. Then suffered the worst bug (if that what it was) ever I had extremely loose stools for 6 days and continually vomited for 5 days. Still don't 100% know what that was but wot ever it was it was terrible!! My other cons are really struggling with fluid intake, I can't drink anywhere near the amount of fluid I'm suppose to, I hate that if I'm really thirsty I can't gulp down a nice cold drink like I used to :(, my stomach makes very strange noises constantly, I struggle with hot drinks, head hunger!! The silly amount of tablets u have to take which I struggle with daily, having less energy than b4 and very weak, I seem to have gone very pale (unsure why), I'm always cold, I worry constantly if I'm going to lose this week and drive myself mad, my life is totally different and I feel I wasn't well prepared for how life would be after my sleeve (this however is probably my fault along with my teams)
How negative is that!!

Anyway here's my positives so far-
I've lost 2 stone :), my shopping bill has gone down lol, my clothes are to big, I get mostly nice comments from everyone about my weight loss, food no longer controls me (well my head it does but not my tummy), less back pain, looking forward to my future.

I'm hoping to add a lot more pros to my list soon but the main thing is I'm losing weight so my sleeve is doing it's job x

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Ok here goes, my cons so far- I was in serious pain after op in hospital. The night after my op I was awake all night in agony! The constant pain calmed however the day I was due to start eating then when I swallowed food the pain I got when it hit my stomach was unreal!! I was kept in hospital longer as they were worried. That sub sided with no explanation. I came home and spent days lying round the house with little energy to move. After about 2 weeks I got better returned to work. Then suffered the worst bug (if that what it was) ever I had extremely loose stools for 6 days and continually vomited for 5 days. Still don't 100% know what that was but wot ever it was it was terrible!! My other cons are really struggling with fluid intake, I can't drink anywhere near the amount of fluid I'm suppose to, I hate that if I'm really thirsty I can't gulp down a nice cold drink like I used to :(, my stomach makes very strange noises constantly, I struggle with hot drinks, head hunger!! The silly amount of tablets u have to take which I struggle with daily, having less energy than b4 and very weak, I seem to have gone very pale (unsure why), I'm always cold, I worry constantly if I'm going to lose this week and drive myself mad, my life is totally different and I feel I wasn't well prepared for how life would be after my sleeve (this however is probably my fault along with my teams)
How negative is that!!

Anyway here's my positives so far-
I've lost 2 stone :), my shopping bill has gone down lol, my clothes are to big, I get mostly nice comments from everyone about my weight loss, food no longer controls me (well my head it does but not my tummy), less back pain, looking forward to my future.

I'm hoping to add a lot more pros to my list soon but the main thing is I'm losing weight so my sleeve is doing it's job x
Thanks hope, its best to get all sides, so glad you're better now :)

Ruthie, thanks for this thread, I love it xxx

claires

thanks everyone it does help everyone who read the posts. i didnt know much about the sleeve but thanks to all your good/bad comments it will help me make a decision.xxxxx good luck to you all.

genevive57

hi ruthie and everyone,
i think this is a great thread - well done ruthie for setting it off.
i'm having sleeve op next thursday and i too am still having conflicting thoughts in my head but, although hope appears to have had a rough time of things i'm very pleased that she shared her experience with us [thanks hope].
i believe that forwarned is forearmed and, if you have as much knowledge and information as possible - both good and bad, then it helps you to cope better with whatever good and bad things come your way.
that's my personal philosphy anyway!!
please keep posting everyone and hopefully i will be posting on this thread soon

flowerofshona

Im only 10 days post op so far........

Bad..
Pain for 2 days post op was bad.
Liquid/sol drugs are revolting !!!!
Tired sometimes,
Het-up waiting to heal, im not happy sitting around !
Some pain when eating/drinking
some foods taste to sweet!!

Good..
Lost 8lb since op.
Wounds healing well
not had salt on anything !! used to have loads
Food tastes better and loving trying new things.
Looking at clothes in smaller sizes :)
No toilet problems so far and fluids managing 2-3 ltrs a day.
So far very happy with 'Sid' :)

suzie290304

Think I might do one for the first week post op as long term is different
Cons,
1 = gas pain this was worse than the pain from op (regular pain killers helped but had rubbish nurse who was 4 hours later with mine when I asked for some).
2 = The cramp in my arm when put to sleep apparently I have rubbish veins for anaesthetic but it did hurt and was not expecting it,
3 =orange paracetomol (no other flavours) and fast tabs they tasted disgusting post op. I even went home without paracetomol as I was nearly vomiting with it, went to shop and got normal one much better.
4 = Had a high temp at around 6 in the morning and was shaking with it, it was around 2 hours before nurse noticed even though I had told her and decided to do checks which showed blood and ketones in my water (suspected water infection) still don't know the results so think it was ok lol.
5 = Put on 2lb in hospital, only swelling and fluid and it soon came off but very common to put on weight,
6 = the pain when eating or drinking then burping lol,

Pros,
1 = slept for 2 days solid nearly bar a few hours hear and their.
2 = It was lovely not doing much for a few weeks as I'm a single mum and am normally on the go constantly :)
3 = the morphine after op great stuff lol,
4 = not feeling hungry or thirsty which is a strange feeling,
5 = tastes in food even a yogurt tastes like the nicest thing ever,
6 = felt so grateful that the nhs gave me this op and chance of a new life,

I definitely think it's good to put both pro's and con's as it gives people a chance to see both sides and also if anything similar happens to you at least you know it's ok and normal, like pain when eating alot of us who have sleeves experience this but by the looks of it is completely normal so it's a lot less worrying for me. X

Ruthiep

Yes I had forgotten some of the early cons:

Having my meds in liquid or powder form. YUCK!!! I dreaded that from one morning to the next. I was so happy when I was back swallowing tablets again.

Ongoing: I can't take/don't like cold drinks any more. They have to be room temperature or warm at least. When I was in Israel recently and out walking, trying to buy a drink from a kiosk that wasn't refridgerated was quite a task!

But today I shopped in River Island and bought a gorgeous dress size 12. I look amazing even if I say so myself LOL. I love looking great in clothes, and also love love LOVE having such a choice of clothes and it's no longer about "I'll get whatever I can find that fits me and doesn't look too horrendous", it's about "I can have anything in any shop so whatever I buy has to look amazing or I won't buy it!"

MelD

Pros,

weight loss, better mobility, aiming to start fitness trining in 2 weeks if i get the all clear from the Hospital. Feel healthy, knee pain and back ache going.

Cons,

Miss Fizzy drink and alcohol, miss certain foods, eating something thinking its ok and 5 mins later being doubled up in pain. People keep saying i have lost weight in my face, its the belly i want them saying i have lost weight from lol. THe horrible bloated feeling after eating a tiny amount. The flabby parts.

Hiya,

Did u have ur surgery at UCLH? I am due to have mine there very soon. How did u find the surgery?

HoPe*87*

Hi all, my last post on this thread was at 4 weeks post op and I'm now coming up 8 weeks post op. I read my post back and for all everything I wrote is/ was true at the time of writing things are different now so thought I would post again :)
Cons - I do get pain occasionally when I eat to much or it doesn't agree, forget to eat, uncomfortable about eating out (I'm sure this will pass in time), no fizzy drinks which I miss especially in this hot weather, I've missed out on alot of social outings with my friends and family due to not eating and no alcohol. I probably would be ok to have alcohol now but don't want to, I could have went out and not drank but decided to not bother, my stomach/chest makes some very strange and loud noises at times, constant questions from people gets in my nerves a little, worrying about if I'm gonna lose weight week by week, daren't go shopping for new clothes.

Pros - I've lost 2 stone 11 lb!! I have loads of energy and feel loads better in my self, my confidence is better, I can do things I couldn't b4 ie I mowed the lawn :) I have very little back pain, life is much easier, get lots of nice comments, my fluid intake is much better now and I'm ok with hot drinks now in fact I'm like a tea wife lol, I want to get out of bed in a morning, I don't think about food all the time now.
So that's me for now :) :)
Very happy and so pleased I had a sleeve wouldn't have wanted any other op it's been great for me xx