• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Beyond Bummed out!!

Snow White

I got my letter today from the PCT telling me I have been turned down. I am seeing the gp on wednesday to discuss appealing but, I am just gutted!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

They said my BMI was 47.8 and in order to qualify it needs to be 50 or I need co morbidities. However, I have never been checked for anything.

The letter is a copy of what was sent to my GP.

"You have advised that the patiensts bmi is 47.6 and from the medical information sent, it would appear that there are no co-morbities of note.
can you confirm whether the patient has been referred to any of the following;
-the lipid clinic
-Any assessment by the surgical team with obesity services
-A history of diet and lifestyle modifications
-An co-morbidities of note

The info provided in its current form does not fulfil the criteria for bariatric surgery. If you can provide any further information this can be reassessed in light of any new information, otherwise I will not progress any further with this request."

So, I suppose an appeal is possible. Just so frustrated. I am seeing the doc next week. Who knows...The silly thing is that we are talking about a gain of like 7 pounds to put me over 50! lol :17729:

Well, you could ask your GP to check your height and weught,and if he found you were shorter than you thought then your BMI would be higher. Not that I'm suggesting you bend your knees whilst he's looking at your height or anythinglol!
Seriously,it's worth getting your height checked just in case.

So it is not over til it is over :rolleyes: Are you definitely ok on the diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid, arthritis, or any other type of comorbities fronts. Is your doctor a tame one or will he be unhelpful? If none of these conditions apply to you, you are looking at knee bending or pigging out for a few weeks to put on the 7lbs :eek::eek::eek: Gosh what we have to do to get a shot at a new life :sigh:guess you wont know until you see your doctor next week :sigh: Good luck, hon :)

I got mine through'exceptional circumstances',this was cos I have had two bladder ops for prolapse and had to lose weight and keep it off before I can have a third surgery.
They are asking about lipids,have you had blood tests to see if your cholesterol is high,liver fatty,gallbladder probs,depression,joint probs,social phobia,no sex life,fatigue,morbid thoughts,high bp,diabetes or in family,family weight probs.Varicose veins.
I was virtually told by my weight management team to go away and put on weight then when I was granted funding not to lose any.Maz x

dont give up i was turned down evry year since 2002 this time when they turned me down i emailed my mp he teamed up with gp and i wrote the person who gives fund asking y i had to get worse b4 i can get better that they were giving me a one way ticket to an early grave and i would cost the nhs more in the long term YOU KEEP AT THEM DONT TAKE NO

Hi don't give up ! I had been trying for nearly 4 years and have been turned down 3 times so just going.

Marie.xoxo:wave_cry:

Thanks everyone! I am hoping my gp will play ball. I didn't see the original referral letter. Sounds like it must have been pretty tame though. I'm on double the usual dose of prozac, no sex at all. I can hardly move most days, pcos, bp and blood not checked in years. I had to give up hospital nursing cause my weight. I'm on the highest dose they do of oxycontin cause of my back. I don't know, but it ain't over till the fat lady sings. I am not in mood to burst into song just yet.

You go. girl .... there are lots of fat ladies (& men) not singing for you .... & quite a lot of not so fat people too ... :D

I'm with everyone on here saying "Don't give up", sometimes we have to really fight for some things.... and this is one of them. Go down every route available.. Be encouraged by the others who have been turned down then accepted. It may take a while but you'll get there in the end.

That's awful Hun :-( , But it looks like the door is still open for your GP to add more info to support your funding , good luck x x

Snow White,

It is, in a way, very similar to one of the letters my GP received when I was turned down for funding. The important thing for you (and what my GP and I focused on when appealing) are these 4 points -

can you confirm whether the patient has been referred to any of the following;
-the lipid clinic
-Any assessment by the surgical team with obesity services
-A history of diet and lifestyle modifications
-An co-morbidities of note

What you and the GP need to get over to the funding committee are explanations of the following or examples of how you have worked on them..........

-the lipid clinic - as previously mentioned, have you ever had adverse blood results which indicate problems with cholesterol levels or similar?
-Any assessment by the surgical team with obesity services - have you got as far as being referred to the surgeons? In my area you have to have funding before they can refer you but this makes it sound as if you can start the journey to surgery before funding is agreed (perhaps it's the time to get the referral done!!)
-A history of diet and lifestyle modifications - have you done 'every diet in the book' including some which are well known such as WW or SW? Have you been prescribed medications by your GP to address your weight issues? These were not fully explained in my original funding request but we got them spelt out (and it went in my favour that Orlistat didn't suit me and Reductil, which did, had been taken off the market by the European Medicines and Health Regulations Authority - the people who judge whether medicines are allowed on the market or not!) Lifestyle changes, have you been given an exercise prescription from the GP (if it's available in your area) again, something that will go in your favour.
-An co-morbidities of note - do you have any other affecting medical conditions (not always phsyical such as arthritis or heart disease) do you suffer from depression with issues related to your weight that are documented by a counsellor or psychiatrist? Again, these are all things that can go in your favour. You can also ask other healthcare professionals to write letters of support - I got my rheumatologist to write in support of my situation which helped sway my decision I think.

Good luck with meeting again with your GP and working on your appeal for funding. I think it would be interesting to find out how many applications are refused at a first stage and don't go on to appeal and how many are actually agreed on appeal!!!

We're here to support anyway we can during your journey!!

Tatiana

Dont give up Melissa, it sounds like they want to help and are giving your gp a push in the right direction by reminding him about different tests etc. Sit and make a list at home and go through it with your gp. I didn't realise how many things they actually take into account. Good luck love xx

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I am not giving up and have started a list of all my issues to hopefully discuss with the gp and possibly bulk up my appeal. I have not had my bp checked since I was pregnant. However, did have a prior history of it and had even been on tablets. The nurse practitioner I see told me she felt I had to have surgery as with my history she didn't think losing weight would be possible. I am going to ask her for a letter of support as well. I had talked to her extensively about the depression side. No sex, self esteem, etc.

I also checked my height and weight today and will ask the gp to do it again. My calculations show me as having a bmi of 50.3... Who knows, I suppose one of the reasons I am so gutted id it took me years to decide surgery was the right thing. Now I want it so badly.

You are all so great! I can't thank you enough for your advice and support. :party0023:

BTW: I am defo going to this months support meeting at bmi chelsfield, hope to meet some of you there.

:needhug:

Last edited:
Wishing you all the luck in the world ... with a BMI over 50 surely this qualifies you even without any co-morbities. :(

As all have said this is not the end. And you sound like you will have a good case.

All area's are different. After my initial request to my Doctor I was referred to a weight loss clinic. I officially had nothing wrong with me at that point apart from depression. Well they did tests, and I found I was:

HypOthyroid - now medicated
T2 Diabetic - was medicated pre surgery
High blood pressure - was medicated pre surgery
And the sleep test didn't come back with anything but in hospital they said mild sleep apoena.
There are all these tests that can help your case that haven't been done.

As said the easiest way may be to 'sag' your knees and eat a bun or two, or as your calculations show you already are in range.

The best of luck for you, this is sooo worth fighting for. xx

If you've weighed and measured yourself and come in with a BMI above 50 then definitely get them to check it again - wear a pair of flip flops or totally flat ballet pumps (or, better still, bare feet) when they measure your height and go after a nice big lunch and large drink (full bladders can weigh anything up to 1kg!!) There are some perfectly good reasons not to have the first appointment of the day when your weight is at it's lowest!!

Tatiana

Back