• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Beyond Bummed out!!

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I am not giving up and have started a list of all my issues to hopefully discuss with the gp and possibly bulk up my appeal. I have not had my bp checked since I was pregnant. However, did have a prior history of it and had even been on tablets. The nurse practitioner I see told me she felt I had to have surgery as with my history she didn't think losing weight would be possible. I am going to ask her for a letter of support as well. I had talked to her extensively about the depression side. No sex, self esteem, etc.

I also checked my height and weight today and will ask the gp to do it again. My calculations show me as having a bmi of 50.3... Who knows, I suppose one of the reasons I am so gutted id it took me years to decide surgery was the right thing. Now I want it so badly.

You are all so great! I can't thank you enough for your advice and support. :party0023:

BTW: I am defo going to this months support meeting at bmi chelsfield, hope to meet some of you there.

:needhug:

It sounds to me like your GP maybe just needs to reword his referral letter. The PCT haven't actually said no they said they WOULD close the application if there were no other issues.

You have stated plenty already, your BMI is over 50 etc etc.

Get banging on the GP's door in the morning in your heaviest lothes, flattest shoes and rewrite the letter yourself if you have to

Best of luck....keep the faith....and keep on fighting...YOUR WORTH IT!!!!!

I saw the gp this morning. He said if he thought appealing based on my pain, sex life, etc would work he would do it. His experience is that unless I had diabetes or similar they would reject it. So, he asked (without asking kwim) how long I thought it would take to gain 5 pounds. I said not long I'm sure. So seeing him in 2 weeks to discuss the "appeal". How stupid a system! If PCT'S would just follow NICE guidelines this wouldn't happen.

So, I have stocked up on galaxy Bars and krispy kremes for my "diet"

Good luck sweetheart. I hope you are successful this time :)

Honestly, it sometimes really does bring it home to me that doctors can have some strange ideas. Reminds me of the time when I told my ex-doctor that I sometimes got hypo with my insulin regime and he told me the best thing I could do was to drink loads of non diet coke and eat two or three Mars bars as quickly as possible :8855:

You are right, Melissa, it does seem ridiculous to have to gain weight, but if it is a means to an end, 5lb won't be the end of the world. Who would have thought a doctor would advocate putting weight on? At least he is willing to help even if it is a bit unorthodox. (it took me ages to work out what KWIM meant, bit slow today) Good luck with your diet, hunnie.... I know it will be hard :8855: xx

Thank you! It's funny how this whole process has made me realise how much I want it. Which is good I suppose. Your bum really starts to hurt sitting on the fence so long! Lol

It's frustrating that so many of us are in this limbo boat.

Twinkle, I only worked out kwim a few months ago. Lmao
:eating:

Hope your bum can stand a bit more fence sitting (it will be harder after the op when your padding is reduced, so if you have any other issues deal with them now whilst you have the wherewithall to cope, lol) Hope you are getting on with your diet as we speak ! :)

keeping all i can cross firmly crossed for you xxxx

I'm in the same boat, and wondering whether to gain weight or not! I've just worked out that i am 9lb off being the correct BMI for referral. I could gain that this weekend, but i am so uncomfortable at the mo that i was gonna start dieting on Monday. Plus even if i did get a referral, i dont think i would want the long wait. But then again, i cant afford to go private at the mo anyway, so i have nothing to lose!

I think this weekend i will mostly be binging ;)

And i'll book a GP appt now!

What a horrible thing to happen - am so sorry :-( All I can say is don't give up, def have a chat with your GP and ask to have a "full MOT" with bloodworks and everything, and go through your past medical history and flag up anything that could be counted as a co-morbidity.

I hope you can talk with your doctor about this, and don't give up!! x

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help and support Know What I Mean (kwim) lol.
It's a hard road made harder by ridiculous policies! Wannabeminime its tough without the co-morbidities. You need to do what's right for you. I feel like if gaining a few pounds saves thousands its what i need to do. Inbox me or facebook if you want a chat. It's nice sharing a boat with great people! xxxxx

how about putting some weights in your knickers ! LOL , good luck with the appeal , see you at work soon
Kate xx

Last edited:
I've just added you Mel!

Thanks everyone for your help and support Know What I Mean (kwim) lol.
It's a hard road made harder by ridiculous policies! Wannabeminime its tough without the co-morbidities. You need to do what's right for you. I feel like if gaining a few pounds saves thousands its what i need to do. Inbox me or facebook if you want a chat. It's nice sharing a boat with great people! xxxxx

how about putting some weights in your knickers ! LOL , good luck with the appeal , see you at work soon
Kate xx

Bags of rice in your bra, wear jeans or denim skirt mobile phone in your pocket and all your jewellery Drink loads and don't go to the toilet :D

Good luck

I was told to go away and put on 5 stone to qualify:eek: luckily I was under a different pct to the Dr that told me that

KWIM

Do'h I had to have it spelt out for me. What a plonker!

What's kwim?

Back