• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you come out the closet?

The only people who know are my husband, son and one sister. I'm a fairly private person and while I know there would be a good level of support from most of my friends and family, I can't be bothered with the few who would be negative and/or judgemental.

I work in a situation where I'm on my own most of the time so my colleagues haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Blimey.....look on the bright side eh? Just want to say that I am coming up 6 months post sleeve and have vomitted just twice post op. I haven't ever had to hold my chest like I'm having a heart attack ever and have only had any pain from eating once (when I didn't chew properly and ate too much when not thinking about what I was doing). I do realise we are all different and have different experiences post op but I would say that the easier you take it and the more you stick to the rules, hopefully the less this sort of thing will happen.

I certainly haven' told everyone about my op but have told all my close friends and family who have been nothing but supportive. A couple of people have asked me if I've had a gastic band and since I've had a sleeve I've been able to honestly answer no! Also, I've gone at it whole heartedly and thrown myself into exercising and being more healthy so people are much less suspicious.

I found the op harder than some but it still wasn't quite as bad as I'd imagined but by sticking to the post op rules I've (touch wood) had a good ride thus far and have also managed to shift over 7.5 stone so far (sleeved on 24th Jan) so I'm delighted. Good luck with your op. x

Hi jojotgirl, well done on your weightloss. Can I just ask is the 7,5 stone just since the op or any pre- op?

My family all know and are fully supportive. I've told some friends, lol I don't have that many.
I've only recently had my op so no one has really noticed I've lost weight yet and as all my family live down south so they haven't seen me since before the op.
In my opinion we each tell whoever we want to, when we want to.

Thank you so much for asking the question... I am a pre-opper and I feel I don't want people to know because they will unfairly judge me.. but at the same time I don't want to deceive.. so some of the comments here have been very useful.

when i had my op, i told a few people and also i had to tell work...Im so sad now as ive gained back the weight and some.... i feel like a failure... cant wait for revision surgeory...dont want people to see me that i have regained....

I told my boyfriend (we made and talked about the decision together) then I told my parents, I thought my mum would be really off but she was really pleased for me and has been fantastic, my dad said "don't mess with perfection" bless him, my boyfriends patents were shocked (as they made me a dinner when I was on my pre- op diet I have to come clean at the dinner table lol) they were happy for me and my friends have been great. Have not told anyone else and don't really intend to unless needed :)

Thank you so much for asking the question... I am a pre-opper and I feel I don't want people to know because they will unfairly judge me.. but at the same time I don't want to deceive.. so some of the comments here have been very useful.

... just to add to my comment up-thread: I don't regard NOT telling people as being deceptive - it's just a different choice to make in light of other relationships and a broader context.

I am an extremely private person in the workplace and it would be out of character for me to suddenly start talking about private matters in the office. If anyone should comment, I will simply say that I am eating and drinking less and moving more, all of which is true. I gave up alcohol the day after my birthday in May and that alone will probably be enough for most people to think that it's the reason for my weightloss.

It's refreshing to me to see that so many chose to keep their WLS private as i did the same. My immediate family and one friend know. I don't feel that I need to share that with anyone else.

Hi triedeverything
I see we shared the same surgeon, do u live in Hampshire then? I am from Pompey. Always good to know people close by that have had the same op would be great to compare notes if u fancy it.
In response to your thread I've told everyone even made an announcement on Facebook as I felt I needed the support and understanding of those around me. I did this for me and no one else and most have said how brave I am and good for me seeking help.
Good luck in your journey and feel free to chat if u want
Thanks
Keri xx

Half and half for me I told only close members of the family .. We are close knit and I wouldn't have got away with it as I'm a terrible fibber:rolleyes: I have two close friends that know but felt they needed to know as both are cancer survivors and one lost her hubby last year with a brain tumour. I didn't want them fretting over my sudden weight loss that would have been cruel. Most have been very supportive My middle son wasn't and couldn't see the need to do this. He stuck his head in the sand to be honest and didn't bring it back out till the day before my op last week ... He is back on my side now that the deed is done and I'm recovering :)

I have and will only tell my partner, I don't have any close friends and my family live a few hours away.

I have told a few very close friends, and my parents. I asked my parents not to tell my sisters (who I'm not close to) but they have :-( so I'm rather cross about that, and vowed I won't ever tell them anything again! Thing is, they're coming over from abroad (parents and sisters) this Saturday,just for the day, for my kids birthdays. First time I've seen them since bypass, and nor looking forward to it, nor is my husband

I am one of those who told everyone and stand by my decision. I have so much support - at home, at work and from my family. Even my mum has come around. And by being so open I've never had to worry about other people when eating in company - they are understanding and go out of their way to help me. Why make a difficult journey any harder for yourself. Ultimately if they're going to be negative wouldn't you rather know that that's the sort of person they are?

Before the op only family and work new, but since having it done, l am happy for people to know.Everyone has been very supportive. Before the op l didn't, want anyone putting negative thoughts in my mind!

Nobody but my husband knows at the moment but I will have to tell my mum and mil. He's starting a new job mid-Oct and my op is going to some point in October so I will need other support.

I'm normally really open about everything but I am apprehensive about this. I think there's still a stigma attached to WLS. People are used to me trying bizarre diets so I don't think work will notice tbh but they might notice my absence.

I told my parents and my closest friends, but I didn't want my cousins or colleagues to know. If they ask I won't lie, but I'm not going to volunteer the information.

My mum knows. And my boss, cos he's paying for it!
My dad doesn't know. And none of my friends.
Once they notice, I'll tell them.
I'm sort of going this alone.
Until I found this site/app.

I've told my grown up children, parents and sisters. Had to tell line manager as it was on my sick note so other managers will know now too. I'm usually really open about me generally but I'm kind of shy about telling others about my op. it's not about judgemental attitudes, more about me failing and how I would feel if I tell everyone and then don't achieve.

Back