• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band, My journey, the thruth, the whole thruth and nothing but the thruth

you're determination is bloody commendable - my BFF struggled like HELL having fill after fill then the weight started to drop off. Her journey has taken nearly 2yrs, she is currently 11.7st from 20st - so hold the positivity, like her you are taking longer to get to that 'established' place that you expect to get straightaway.

Just keep at it hun and you know your support network is close at hand here xx

Thank you very much. Your poor friend must have been difficult but she must been saying if was worth it now :) fingers cross it will soon be me

My diary is called the truth and when I started it I wanted to be as honest about my journey, my feelings etc… and in a way I have but in other I have not. I am always the bubbly funny girl that makes everyone laughs and always make it like I am doing fine.

As per my signature will confirm I have been to get my fourth fill taking me to 7.5ml in a 10ml band. And only now I feel like I have had the op and the band is working. Don’t get me wrong I could feel it if I poked my belly but working wise and helping me gain control over food addiction, not a chance!!!

People say, don’t rely on fills get into good eating patterns and habits etc…. it is sooooo true. BUT I have to be honest, up until 5 days ago, nothing annoyed me more than hearing this! I love the people don’t get me wrong but I also want to let other people like me who struggle that it is ok to be annoyed because things aren’t going as well or as fast as other people’s journey.

Let me explain it better (I hope!!)
I had a band because I am a volume eater not a massif junk food addict. I don’t eat ready meals I cook most of the food I eat. But pre-op I could eat double what my OH had. The only naughty things I used to love was chocolate on a daily basis, icecream (we are talking a whole tub of Ben & Jerry on a weekly basis 2 whole tub when TOTM) sometimes pizza now that was a large one by myself!, not a massif chinese take away fan apart from the duck pancakes and maybe curry once every couple of months. And McDonalds again maybe once a month. So hardly a daily junk food addict, more of the sweet addiction.

Now 5 months ago I had my op. For the first 4 weeks things were going great, loosing 2 pounds a week. Then the swelling went down and back on solid food, kind of back to normal. Now normal for me was still no sugar in my tea and half a spoon in my coffee, no more coke (was one a day prior to it) no other sugary drinks, I don’t even have squash with my water…no macdonalds, not a spoon of Ben & Jerry passed my lips Chocolate around TOTM only. … but the volume is still there.

I can have two bowls of cereals with no milk (so it’s crunchy and all that) and barely feel satisfied, I can have two whole pitta bread toasted with ham / turkey slices (5 slices) tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce etc… all healthy all crunchy food, again not full barely satisfied. So when speaking to dietitian they say all the usual are you still eating from a tea plate, yes I am but two or three of them but what if you stick to one, then I am going to bed hungry and I have many many times. So paying £6k and go to bed at night hungry makes you very very unhappy and quite frankly pissed off! And on top of that barely loosing 10kgs in 5 months, I was heartbroken. And I was very honest with my team and they did put more this time that they normally would and checking up on me to see if I am not too restricted. My team does not allow having a fill less than a month in between. This time and next time, I am border line 4 weeks because they can see I am trying and that I need those fills to reduce the volume I am consuming and start loosing weight.

So the point of this post is for me to acknowledge how difficult this journey is but also for new people who would be unfortunate like me not to loose heart, but to be patient but also to demand those fills, should you need it (you don’t want to be too tight either). I need to fill the restriction; otherwise I am on another diet and on the road to another failure. I do not have any support apart from my little friend I paid £6k for, so I am rightly demanding it start doing is job!

However, I am happy to say that finnaly I feel satistifed on a tea plate, not stuffed but full enough to go to bed without crying myself to sleep. Keep heart, keep faith is my message today even though I ranted long enough!

Mis big hug from me.and if I am annoying you I am sorry; xxx

You haven't be reassured I do really like everyone on here and you have been of great support. My point i guess was that's it seems easy to say don't rely on restriction, eat healthy don't eat more that your tea plates but when your band friend isn't been friendly and helping achieve this its even harder to fight urges and its like those people saying well you fat eat less and exersice more. Easy to say for people that are sporty etc.... that's all. No hard feeling :) xxx

Aw mis i hope this is the fill for you. I totally understand what you're saying, if we can't rely on restriction, why didn't we do that without the band. I totally get you, i struggled to maintain my 15lb loss let alone lose weight. Don't get me wrong i have the utmost respect for people who have done it without fills i really do but i would also be wondering what was the point. I really believe we will all get there tho, no matter the speed. All last week i didn't know myself with fantastic restriction and no hunger but today for some reason is totally different, i started back on the pill and i think it's kicking in now and knocking my body out of sorts but i have been rather snacky all day when last week i managed great on my three small meals.
I totally understand your frustrations, the band is a funny device. I love it all the same and plan to get to know it better etc.
Hope you're ok.x x x

Let's hope this does the trick for you mis and you're right in being honest!! Great for everyone to get a balanced view of this wls mallarcky and to realise its no walk in the park!!! Good on you for posting frankly xx

Mis- we must have been twins in a previous existence. Xxxx

Well this one does the trick alright.... for the first time ever I could not eat a piece of sponge cake for the life of me. Had my stuffed pepper with lean mince beef and homemade tomato sauce ( that's two tomatoes blended before you start calling masterchef!) And then my friend gave me a piece of her bday cake. Cut it in half bigger piece for OH then had the small piece for my desert, well no way ose would that go down. My OH just oh no.... and I jumped in the air I had a smile from ear to ear. May it last may it be it!!!

LOL Mis - make the most of that feeling of restriction. The strange thing about the band is - somedays it does that to you and then others you can eat two or three bits of that some old cake - I have been there and done it!! :rolleyes:

Oh I see you have a female dog boss like I had - can give you a few tips on dealing wth that and coming out the other side if you want;)

tranquil x

Anything any advice I ll take. Just need a new career path really but still don't think I am good for anything :( but with weight loss and time I really hope my confidence ll grow

Quick update from me. It's been a week and a half that I have had my forth fill and still feeling the restriction massively! So very happy with it. Not feeling starving anymore, eating of a side plate ONCE (lol) and not snacking between meals.... unless at work and bored... sometimes... really need to sort a new career path asap!!! Any sugestion welcome, plus what a bonus will it be to say to my boss, screw you!!! I would like to be self employed but you need to have the courage and confidence in yourself that you can make it and earn enough money to pay for bills and mortgages etc.... so if anyone knows where I could find self confidence and courage let me know! :) Anyway, after moaning for so long about not having any restriction and been able to eat everything, I find myself been completely on the other end of the story in the fact that I can eat about 5 or 6 mounthful of whatever it is then I am full. So far today I had two biscottes with low fat flore for breakfast and 2 eggs scrambled for lunch, could not even finish it and a milky coffee. Now to explain even further what feeling the right level of restriction does do you: OH made brownies now anyone knowing and reading my diary will know how much I ADORE his brownies, it's better than sex!!! :) :) :) (shush don't tell him I said that!) and as we are going to see my family for Easter he decided to make some. Now I am seating upstairs going through a tidy up of my clothes and take stuff to the charity shop, he shout out from downstairs, do you want to do the dishes of the brownies. Now before people think I am is slave and do the washing up, he meant, do I want to lick alll the bowls, spoons (which is what I always do) but this time, I went no thank you, I am good. Now i just said no to lick a bowl of melted chocolate!!! an hour ago he said, i cut you a piece for you to try and I said maybe later. It has been an hour and it still there!!! And I don't feel obscese by it just that right now I am still full from lunch and will have it later when I fancy it. It's a like a different person took over my head! Is it related to the band? or am I on a high from sorting out old too clothes, am I just in a right frame of mind right now? Maybe but who cares, for once I said no thanks to something involving chocolate and don't feel like its a sacrifice!!! I am just weird, I know! Anyway, going to see my parents on thursday, have not seen them since christmas, will they notice a difference I hope so. Do I care, yes of course, but strangely enough, not as much as I used to.... humm..... So this is the happy note, the not so happy note is: Now that I cannot physically eat much, I feel cheated if what i eat isn't really what I fancy! Also now I feel completely all over the place because it has been a stressful week and for the first time, I could not eat my way out of those feelings.... don't know how to deal with those emotions, usually I used to feed them now I cannot, so need to deal with them, and I don't like it!!! But I keep telling myself it surely has to be more healthy to deal with emotions head on than use food to counter act them... Boy oh boy what a learning journey this band malarky is!!! right enough rambling from, I still have this browny waiting for me..... :) :) i am no angel!

Thanks Sophie x

Oh Mis- I always read your posts and think- oh thats me and so is that! I'm so glad you've got there. For the first time tonight I didn't finish my tea. I just thought "I've had enough" and stopped and threw it in the bin because I always make too much. Changed days, I can tell you! Take care xxx

Right back at you Mrs pill :) glad you are also getting there xxx

Back