• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP finally referred me to Homerton

Oops I don’t think you can PM. But feel free to ask me anything here, I don’t mind.

I’ve just had a chance to read through the whole thread and I can confirm that I didn’t have to do a Tier 3 as a lot of areas in London are not running them at the moment. I know someone that’s currently under the Whittington and doesn’t have to the program either. He was advised to do SW as an alternative. I know UCLH are doing their own tier 3 alternative in the interim. There’s just no programmes being offered at the moment, but that can’t stop people from getting the medical intervention they need. I’m sure it will be back on soon though.

Hi Lizzie,

I’m also under the Homerton Hospital, I haven’t had my surgery just yet but I can give you some information on my journey so far.

I’m 5ft4. At the time of my referral, I had a BMI of 40 and I weighted 108kg.

At the moment there is no tier 3 in my area (Hackney), and Homerton currently doesn't offer an alternative program like some other hospitals do. You’ll be fine.

I was referred in March 2018 and my first appointment was in May. I was seen by a Dietitian and a Consultant. The appointments were to talk about my weight loss history, eating habits etc and to also establish if I needed further assessments such as Psychology, Physiotherapy, Sleep Studies, Endoscopy and so on.

Lucky as I have no health complications, all that was I required to do were bloods and ECG tests.

I then went to a Bariatric workshop at a later date, which was for about an hour. I found this very informative as we were given loads of information on all the different types of surgery and how the whole process works at the Homerton.

I was then advised I needed to loose 5-10% of my weight, and I needed to take vitamin supplements for three months as I was a little low on my vitamin D. (I would strongly advise you to start taking an all vitamin and mineral supplement from now so this doesn’t set you back in any way, should you be low in anything as Homerton take this serious from my experience).

I was then taken to the MDT meeting and I have recently been given the all clear for surgery. Just waiting for my pre-surgery appointments to happen and then I will be given an official date for surgery.

I did have a few set backs in between particularly because of my weight and BMI being borderline, and the fact that I have no other health issues or complications. I am literally an easy case.
Nevertheless, I stood my ground and refused to be robbed off at any opportunity. What really helped me was the fact the my referal letter from my GP was very very detailed and “backed up” all my claims of attempts to loose weight over the past years.

I probably would have had my surgery by now if didn’t have these minor set backs so Homerton do work very very fast.

Feel free to PM me of you want to talk more and I can give you more detailed info

Xx
Hi Lotus!!
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on?
Can I ask roughly how long it was between your 1st consultant appointment and going to MDT meeting please? x

I was referred in March, my first appointment with the Dietitian and Consultant was in May and I was taken to my first MDT meeting in June.
The MDT decided I needed to see Psychology for whatever reason? and I was booked for the end of August!! After several weeks of Unnecessary waiting, on the morning of this said Psychology appointment I received a call from the lead Psychologist saying I didn’t actually need to be seen as there was nothing within my notes that suggests I needed further assesment. So I was send back to the MDT which was held two days ago and now I’ve been given the all clear .

If I didn’t have this little set back, I may have had my surgery by now or at least had all the pre -appointments and given a date etc.

MDT meetings are held weekly on Wednesday afternoons at the Homerton.

I was referred in March, my first appointment with the Dietitian and Consultant was in May and I was taken to my first MDT meeting in June.
The MDT decided I needed to see Psychology for whatever reason? and I was booked for the end of August!! After several weeks of Unnecessary waiting, on the morning of this said Psychology appointment I received a call from the lead Psychologist saying I didn’t actually need to be seen as there was nothing within my notes that suggests I needed further assesment. So I was send back to the MDT which was held two days ago and now I’ve been given the all clear .

If I didn’t have this little set back, I may have had my surgery by now or at least had all the pre -appointments and given a date etc.

MDT meetings are held weekly on Wednesday afternoons at the Homerton.
Thanks for replying.
I had my 1st appointment yesterday and got my consultant appointment next Thursday but just wondered roughly how long it took for everyone to sit down together. Hope my journey is as plain (ish) sailing as yours has been so far! x

Thanks for replying.
I had my 1st appointment yesterday and got my consultant appointment next Thursday but just wondered roughly how long it took for everyone to sit down together. Hope my journey is as plain (ish) sailing as yours has been so far! x

How did it go?
my appointment is on monday. Looking forward to it and i do hope my journey to get the surgery is plan sailing too lol.

Oops I don’t think you can PM. But feel free to ask me anything here, I don’t mind.

I’ve just had a chance to read through the whole thread and I can confirm that I didn’t have to do a Tier 3 as a lot of areas in London are not running them at the moment. I know someone that’s currently under the Whittington and doesn’t have to the program either. He was advised to do SW as an alternative. I know UCLH are doing their own tier 3 alternative in the interim. There’s just no programmes being offered at the moment, but that can’t stop people from getting the medical intervention they need. I’m sure it will be back on soon though.

Hey Lotus,

You sound like me lol, i have no other issues.

Look forward to seeing your journey!!!!!!!!!

How did it go?
my appointment is on monday. Looking forward to it and i do hope my journey to get the surgery is plan sailing too lol.
Yea it went well I think! The nurse who went through my million questions with me, Grace her name was, was lovely, put me at easy straight away. The group session was so good, very informative and only about 6 others there, I’d imagined a big room full of people but it was very personal. Although some of the people looked so much like they’d rather be anywhere but there!
As far as I’m aware I have no other issues either so fingers crossed I should be a fairly boring case! x

Hiya, appointment is on Monday to come!!!

Excited yet scared mi thinks hahahaha.

What shall i expect?

Thanks for checking in hun X
Oh sorry! Thought it was Monday gone.
Be excited! Dont be scared, it’s so chilled. Obviously they’re there to do a job but they’re quick to put you at ease.
1st I had my blood pressure taken, weight and height, then a nurse called me through, I’m sure her name was Grace. We went thoroughly through the form that was sent out to fill in and she inputted all the info onto the computer system, I was in with her for, I suppose, about an hour? We ended up chatting about our kids and stuff.
Then I went off for blood tests and ECG. No waiting time for the blood test and I’d say about a 20min wait for the ECG, so overall really good.
Back at midday for the group info session. It was soooo good. A little bit of information overload but we had handouts of the whole slide show to bring away so that helped. It covered everything, all the procedures, pros and cons of each, things to start now, what you can/can’t eat, potion control, excercise. Too much stuff to list! You’ll really enjoy it.
Do you have your surgeon appointment on the same day? I have to go back on Thursday for mine, x

Oh sorry! Thought it was Monday gone.
Be excited! Dont be scared, it’s so chilled. Obviously they’re there to do a job but they’re quick to put you at ease.
1st I had my blood pressure taken, weight and height, then a nurse called me through, I’m sure her name was Grace. We went thoroughly through the form that was sent out to fill in and she inputted all the info onto the computer system, I was in with her for, I suppose, about an hour? We ended up chatting about our kids and stuff.
Then I went off for blood tests and ECG. No waiting time for the blood test and I’d say about a 20min wait for the ECG, so overall really good.
Back at midday for the group info session. It was soooo good. A little bit of information overload but we had handouts of the whole slide show to bring away so that helped. It covered everything, all the procedures, pros and cons of each, things to start now, what you can/can’t eat, potion control, excercise. Too much stuff to list! You’ll really enjoy it.
Do you have your surgeon appointment on the same day? I have to go back on Thursday for mine, x

Yes seeing the comsultant on Monday too, im going to have my dd's with me with ipad in tow lool.

I just cant believe im starting this journey X

Yes seeing the comsultant on Monday too, im going to have my dd's with me with ipad in tow lool.

I just cant believe im starting this journey X
There were a few ppl there with their LO’s so wouldn’t worry too much about that, mine on the other hand are like tornados!!!
I originally had my consultant on the same day too but it got put back 2 weeks :( never mind. I’ll be checking in Monday eve to see how it all went! x

Hey all, I have been out of this world busy. DD will be having an op soon so all the pre op assessments has me snowed under, kids with all thier after school stuff has left me under too.

Any way, yes I had the apt. Done all the ECG's and blood works done, saw the nurse who took all details of stuff went in to have the group session which was defo information overload.

I then saw the consultant which if in being honest left ne way to empty, she didn't recommend which surgery she feels will be best with me or any thing else apart from her taking my eating history and that was it.

They said have to wait for the MDT meeting to find out if I am able to go for it.

Am i supposed to be feeling this way?

Just waiting now, how did your consultation apt go?

Hey all, I have been out of this world busy. DD will be having an op soon so all the pre op assessments has me snowed under, kids with all thier after school stuff has left me under too.

Any way, yes I had the apt. Done all the ECG's and blood works done, saw the nurse who took all details of stuff went in to have the group session which was defo information overload.

I then saw the consultant which if in being honest left ne way to empty, she didn't recommend which surgery she feels will be best with me or any thing else apart from her taking my eating history and that was it.

They said have to wait for the MDT meeting to find out if I am able to go for it.

Am i supposed to be feeling this way?

Just waiting now, how did your consultation apt go?
Oh? Who did you see?
My guy talked me thru each procedure, told me which he thought would be best, which would be least suited, we agreed on By Pass. We were speaking for quite a while, not really about eating habits? I’d done that with the nurse previously, guessing you did too?
I do have to wait for the MDT decision tho, nothing is decided so even tho you don’t feel as informed, it’s not a set back or anything.
Maybe bacause your DD is due an op you were understandably pre occupied? Have you emailed them at all?
My case is due to be heard by MDT on 17th, yours will probably be before me. Hopefully you won’t have to wait long, x
Try not to worry, x

Hey all, hope your well. So here is me coming up for air after a mad few weeks and my DD having her op and trying to deal with all the other mummy stuff.

How you all doing? In still awaiting verdict fron MDT panel hopefully the bariatric surgeon who wrote a very strong letter to my GP in the first place makes a difference!!!!!!

X

Hey all, hope your well. So here is me coming up for air after a mad few weeks and my DD having her op and trying to deal with all the other mummy stuff.

How you all doing? In still awaiting verdict fron MDT panel hopefully the bariatric surgeon who wrote a very strong letter to my GP in the first place makes a difference!!!!!!

X
Hi! Good to hear from you. How’s your daughter doing?
Do you know when your case was being heard? x

Hi! Good to hear from you. How’s your daughter doing?
Do you know when your case was being heard? x

Hey Maria, nope!!! Im shocked at how useless my consultant was, no info no advice!!!! Nothing!!!!! She didnt even say when it was going to heard!!!

So im just going to sit tight and wait for the letter!!

My daughter is doing well, thankfully no pain due to the constant meds.

Back