• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How'd I get to here....Bypass story update

Now I've calmed down, i think a major worry for me is not the surgery itself, its because at the moment i have no actual medical problems through my weight and i'm putting myself forward to undertake something where i'll have to take tablets for the rest of my life and possible hair-loss (my hair is fine already)

I've suffered depression cos of my weight, could i just be replacing it with something else?

well, here we go, almost at the point of no return. Its my birthday tomorrow and the day after that i start my 1 week pre-op diet. Not actually had my bloods etc done yet or paid a penny. Dr A's secretary advised me to wait till the very last minute in case anything came through from the PCT about funding, not looking likely now!!!

Got my bloods and pre-op meet booked for Wed 21st Jan, then there's no going back, op booked for 24th Jan

All this research, all these questions, thanks to everyone for ur help and advice even when sometimes i was just thinking out loud and not making much sense

x x x

Good luck Lisa, Just to say I had same worries as you regarding surgery, although I opted for the band. My little girls 5 too and I also have a boy who was 7 mths at the time I had my op. I haven`t told my girl about the op and I don`t think she`s picked up on it. She visited me at Dolan Park but we just told her I was stopping in a different hotel and she did comment on my wounds once when I was getting out of the shower but I told her our dog had scratched me. Not sure she believed our story but she`s not mentioned anything since.
Although I was worried about having the op and leaving the kids without a mum I put trust in the doctors. They do these ops several times a day and only a very small percentage goes wrong what is the odds that it`ll b yours. Your a young, fit, healthy woman with not a drastic amount of weight to lose so I`m sure you`ll b fine hun.
Another reason I had surgery was cos my little girls getting to that age now where comments can hurt and I don`t want her to get picked on because of my size as kids can b very cruel. I`m sure she`ll appreciate it when she`s older as will your kids hun. Take care hun and good luck ( Hope this post sounds like how I mean it to come out and not at all patronizing xxx )

Good luck Lisa, Just to say I had same worries as you regarding surgery, although I opted for the band. My little girls 5 too and I also have a boy who was 7 mths at the time I had my op. I haven`t told my girl about the op and I don`t think she`s picked up on it. She visited me at Dolan Park but we just told her I was stopping in a different hotel and she did comment on my wounds once when I was getting out of the shower but I told her our dog had scratched me. Not sure she believed our story but she`s not mentioned anything since.
Although I was worried about having the op and leaving the kids without a mum I put trust in the doctors. They do these ops several times a day and only a very small percentage goes wrong what is the odds that it`ll b yours. Your a young, fit, healthy woman with not a drastic amount of weight to lose so I`m sure you`ll b fine hun.
Another reason I had surgery was cos my little girls getting to that age now where comments can hurt and I don`t want her to get picked on because of my size as kids can b very cruel. I`m sure she`ll appreciate it when she`s older as will your kids hun. Take care hun and good luck ( Hope this post sounds like how I mean it to come out and not at all patronizing xxx )

Thanks for that, it didn't sound patronising at all. Its obviously a similar situation and its nice to know i'm not on my own...I just don't think people see why i'm doing it cos they think i'm happy. Do you know what i'm looking forward to most....taking the mask off that i feel like i have to put on every day. I know i'm in good hands and my daughter Maisie was distraught at me having the op so instead of making her understand, i bottled it and told her i cancelled the op and was going to manchester for a massage to help my tummy but that i have to stay overnight in a hotel. She's happy as larry and she saw a programme on the tele about someone having a massage that had a mud treatment and now she thinks i'm getting covered in mud, she thinks its hilarious and is desperate for me to go in!!! I know its a cowards way out but i can concentrate on whats happening knowing she isn't worrying. Oh she can't wait now my family are taking it in turns and the weekend i'm in she's going bowling, pictures, swimmiing, pizza hut and to Nannas caravan...I'm considering cancelling the op and going with them...it sounds fab!!! lol x x x

Ohhh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:talk017::birthday::bday::candle1:

yaaaaay, my last birthday where the first thing i think of is the size of my cake and where we're going for tea, lol x x x

Hehe, I had several Krispy Kreme doughnuts and ate my weight in sushi for my birthday in July, that is most certainly the last time that will happen!!

Hope your birthday is just the magical start to a year that ends with you permanently thinner!:p:p:p

i'm almost looking forward to the pre-op diet...any more "last suppers" and i'm gonna combust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm almost looking forward to the pre-op diet...any more "last suppers" and i'm gonna combust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Lisa - Enjoy your birthday - remember that how ever hard the pre op diet gets its only for a short time and its a means to an end, post op you wont desire food for a while and wont be hungry.

And as for the surgery itself your in the safest hands that i believe possible - Dr Ammori is brilliant and the team he uses are great, given you have no other issues or health concerns pre op you will be fine, to be honest the op for me was a bit of an anticlimax as i built up to it all worrying and after i thought 'is that it' :D

One other thing i wanted to say - i didn't tel my 7 year old son i was doing this, i didn't want him to worry or know anything was wrong ! after the op i told him i'd had an operation because he jumps on me, but before i said nothing ! and yep that hurts not telling him, but its for his protection, to be around for him i needed to do this at whatever cost, 2 years from now had i not had the op i'd have probably been dead.

Good luck and enjoy your birthday !

Richard

It's great to read your story Lisa. I've loved reading through everyone's write ups of how they feel they ended up here. It's so easy for outsiders to just think we sit around all day stuffing our faces with chips, but they never stop long enough to hear all the real reasons behind our weight troubles.

I lost count of the number of times I got what I call 'that look' from doctors and other health professionals who asked about my weight and I told them it was because I couldn't exercise. They all looked at me as if to say 'yeah right'. It's so obvious they don't believe you. Maybe it isn't the best reason, but it is one of my main reasons for going for the bypass, so I can look them in the eye and tell them I don't stuff my face all day and can't because I have had a bypass. Like you, I tried several things, including diets which never lasted, although I have put myself on slimfast and it has stopped me gaining weight, although still not doing much as I only seem to be loosing the equivalent of about 1lb a month. It's a struggle but I'm hoping the bypass will help. I do nibble without realising it sometimes, then feel sick and regret it afterwards.

It's great to be able to come here amongst others with similar problems though, and know that we are not alone and no one is viewing anyone else as 'the fatty' because we all have the same type of problem.

Good luck with your op, and keep us informed.

Thanks for that, it didn't sound patronising at all. Its obviously a similar situation and its nice to know i'm not on my own...I just don't think people see why i'm doing it cos they think i'm happy. Do you know what i'm looking forward to most....taking the mask off that i feel like i have to put on every day. I know i'm in good hands and my daughter Maisie was distraught at me having the op so instead of making her understand, i bottled it and told her i cancelled the op and was going to manchester for a massage to help my tummy but that i have to stay overnight in a hotel. She's happy as larry and she saw a programme on the tele about someone having a massage that had a mud treatment and now she thinks i'm getting covered in mud, she thinks its hilarious and is desperate for me to go in!!! I know its a cowards way out but i can concentrate on whats happening knowing she isn't worrying. Oh she can't wait now my family are taking it in turns and the weekend i'm in she's going bowling, pictures, swimmiing, pizza hut and to Nannas caravan...I'm considering cancelling the op and going with them...it sounds fab!!! lol x x x
Its not cowards way out hun I`d have done exactly the same if my daughter had an inkling, your just protecting her thats all. 5 is a funny age and although they seem to have a good understanding of things they don`t really do they - its still very young lol. Bless her, sounds like she`s gonna have a whale of a time, sounds like you`ve got alot of support from your family too which is good. Good luck hun, when do u go in again??

thanks guys, it means a lot x x x

I go to spire hospital on Saturday 24th Jan...a week today OMG!!!!!!

Went in peacocks today..just for a look around...I don't think my husband realises how much this op is gonna cost in the long run. I mentally spent £114 today and do you know what, when I lose weight I'm gonna go try things on in shops even if i can't afford them. That is a big thing for me cos I usually like something and just buy it cos I can't be arsed trying it on!!!!

I buy clothes by looking at them and thinking, "oh that covers my gut and its not repulsive...i'll have it"!!!!!

LOL

Quick update, had my pre-op assesment today, its all go for Saturday again now!!!!

glad you've got the pre op out of the way Lisa. Whether its Saturday or Sunday I hope it all goes well for you.

What pre op diet are you following? (sorry if you have already said and i have missed it)

Hi
God you sound very much like me, although 18-30 woudl have been too darring for me lol...
I have 3kids ages 6 4 and 13 months, I wegh just under 19 stone, have been on xenical, reductil and all the other slimming "trends" I was 16 stone wen i got married and thought I was the bee's knees lol.
I am in manchester and am going through the long NHS process to get a band fitted.
Hopefully by the end of teh year although they have told me september but will hve to wait and see.
Good luck with your wls xxx

LOL
I asked my eldest daughter only an hour ago to bring my bag upstairs to me whilst my baby was in the bath as i had forgotten to take my xenical (I cal them fat tablets) daughter asked what it was I told her its to help mummy get thin, her reply was I love you just they way you are yo are beautiful. What a babe xxxxx

LOL
I asked my eldest daughter only an hour ago to bring my bag upstairs to me whilst my baby was in the bath as i had forgotten to take my xenical (I cal them fat tablets) daughter asked what it was I told her its to help mummy get thin, her reply was I love you just they way you are yo are beautiful. What a babe xxxxx

I told my 5 year old daughter that I was going to get healthy and lose weight and she asked " will you still be comfy?"

not a flattering image but bless her x x x

glad you've got the pre op out of the way Lisa. Whether its Saturday or Sunday I hope it all goes well for you.

What pre op diet are you following? (sorry if you have already said and i have missed it)

I'm not doing the liquid one, i think mine has been put on here before by someone else its the

brekkie
cereal or toast

Lunch
crispbread and lean meat or fish or 2 eggs not fried with green salad

Dinner
lean meat or fish or 2 eggs not fried
small potato or 2 tablespoon of rice or pasta and green salad

muller light yoghurt snack
2 pieces of fruit as snack

thats off top of my head though - it might not be exact, its not been too bad, first day was the worst x x x

I told my 5 year old daughter that I was going to get healthy and lose weight and she asked " will you still be comfy?"

not a flattering image but bless her x x x

aww thats so sweet. My youngest is nearly 5 and she says she loves lying on me as im so squishy.

yeah i got told i have cuddly legs and she loves my long boobies!!!!!

Holy hell of all words you can cope with using to describe ur boobs.......LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats before the weight loss lol x x x

Back