• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

July 2017 Surgeries

It is so refreshing to see an honest post like this - I'm 2 days post and also also still in a lot of pain, crap mobility and feeling emotional. I'm barely getting enough water down but just because I feel so bloated! The shoulder pain has been horrendous! My mum is staying with me to help look after my children (and partner lol) and I feel so bad leaving them to fend for themselves! I didn't expect to feel so bad! Xx

Hey @Nickynooo thank you for your well wishes. My op was on Monday, the operation itself went absolutely great with no complications. I however was not expecting to be in as much pain and to be as emotional as I have been. When I first came round after the op in recovery, I was dry heaving to be sick and the pain was unreal. I then fell back to sleep and I woke up in intensive care (hospital procedure, no complications). In intensive care I felt ok as I was doped up to high heaven on theatre drugs still and oxycodone. I thought oh wow I can do this. Then BAM! It was the next day, I was up out of bed for my swallow test etc and the contract is disgusting and gave me severe diarrhoea (sorry TMI). I was then wheeled to a normal ward and left to fend for myself and my god, I was in pain and I was crying constantly. Scared to cough in case I sprung a leak. I am home now and it's day 3 post op I guess, I think I'm being hard on myself but I'm just so anxious about everything and honestly I have a lot of regret, why did I do this to myself? :(

I'm barely managing to get enough water down, let alone soup etc. I know it's going to take time but I guess I just wasn't prepared for this.

This post is just me being completely honest and I know plenty of people have amazing experiences and roll out of bed feeling like nothing has happened after surgery but I just don't feel that way.

How is your pre op going Hun? I bet your getting nervous now. Xxx

Congratulations probably not what you want to here at the minute lol Omg ! So glad to here from you I've been so anxious waiting for you to post so pleased your out and home but so sorry to here the pain and regret but just keep telling yourself it's not going to last and it WILL get better Hun I've heard alot of people start off with the feeling of what the hell have I done !!! But it will pass before you know it , your not on your own believe me , I had my pre op on Monday and god I was so nervous but since it has calmed me down I think like you just before you try not to think about it too much but it's always at the front of any thoughts I just want it over and done with now,
I'm not sure what your pain was from but I'm not looking forward to the gas pain at all , I done a previous post about my other surgeries and it was that what I was dreading but hopefully it's all worth it in the long run , when your feeling up to it I'd like to here what you've had fluid wise or as you say you can barely manage soup , I'm counting down now my surgery is Wednesday ........ arhhh Hun hoping you start feeling a little better soon

Hey @Nickynooo thank you for your well wishes. My op was on Monday, the operation itself went absolutely great with no complications. I however was not expecting to be in as much pain and to be as emotional as I have been. When I first came round after the op in recovery, I was dry heaving to be sick and the pain was unreal. I then fell back to sleep and I woke up in intensive care (hospital procedure, no complications). In intensive care I felt ok as I was doped up to high heaven on theatre drugs still and oxycodone. I thought oh wow I can do this. Then BAM! It was the next day, I was up out of bed for my swallow test etc and the contract is disgusting and gave me severe diarrhoea (sorry TMI). I was then wheeled to a normal ward and left to fend for myself and my god, I was in pain and I was crying constantly. Scared to cough in case I sprung a leak. I am home now and it's day 3 post op I guess, I think I'm being hard on myself but I'm just so anxious about everything and honestly I have a lot of regret, why did I do this to myself? :(

I'm barely managing to get enough water down, let alone soup etc. I know it's going to take time but I guess I just wasn't prepared for this.

This post is just me being completely honest and I know plenty of people have amazing experiences and roll out of bed feeling like nothing has happened after surgery but I just don't feel that way.

How is your pre op going Hun? I bet your getting nervous now. Xxx

Ohhh bbe, so so glad to hear from you and pleased the operation went well!!! The pain sounds horrible but keep asking for more painkillers and take it easy!

U will not feel like this forever and I am sure you wont regret it hun - when the weight drops off and u look and feel amazing - that is when u will think this short term pain was worth it xxx

U r so brave :hugs:

I am a little nervous but diet is going ok thanks hun xx

Update us again when u can but just try n sleep as much as pos xxxx

Hi I'm eager to know how you are doing as I had a gastric band surgery yesterday the 4th of July. I have had a terrible day today the 5th of July. Lots of wind and pain and vomiting. Hope you are better than this but would like to know if this is normal
CarolynD

I havent had mine yet but hope ur in less pain today xxz

@LJJohns2017 Awww LJ I can't imagine how you are feeling. Please do remember this will only be for a short time and you will feel so much better. Don't forget you have had a major surgery and everyone's body is different. Rest, rest, rest. Sleep is the best medicine it promotes growth and healing. Let us know how you are getting on, when you feel up to it.

You are amazing, you can do this, you have come so far and look what is ahead. Focus on the bigger picture.. xxx

Day 3 off liver skrinking diet and 8lbs down :) woohooo

So happy...cannot wait to lose my weight xxx hurry 18th

@LJJohns2017 Awww LJ I can't imagine how you are feeling. Please do remember this will only be for a short time and you will feel so much better. Don't forget you have had a major surgery and everyone's body is different. Rest, rest, rest. Sleep is the best medicine it promotes growth and healing. Let us know how you are getting on, when you feel up to it.

You are amazing, you can do this, you have come so far and look what is ahead. Focus on the bigger picture.. xxx
Hey Paula , how are you ? not long now I'm getting so excited I just want it over with now ,
I'm all geared up for not having such a smooth ride I think the worst then anything that goes well is a bonus lol really hope to meet you on Wednesday how you feeling about it ? Xx

Yeah @jojo22674 mentally I'm ready. 1 more day at work then the next part of my journey begins. I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one lol. Like I said any othe time I would be packing the food down. I think my mindset has definitely changed regarding turning to food for every emotion. I've literally had to deal with them.

I feel the same way about thinking the worst. my mum goes nuts when I'm negative about stuff.

How are you doing?

Yeah @jojo22674 mentally I'm ready. 1 more day at work then the next part of my journey begins. I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one lol. Like I said any othe time I would be packing the food down. I think my mindset has definitely changed regarding turning to food for every emotion. I've literally had to deal with them.

I feel the same way about thinking the worst. my mum goes nuts when I'm negative about stuff.

How are you doing?
Good luck xx

How are you doing?
Sad I know but watching loads of YouTube vids at the minute just to catch up on anything I've missed previously lol I had a call early last week from the nurse who done my pre op as she questioned my HRT as I was still taking it , nobody had told me otherwise but I've had to stop straight away soooooo on top feeling extra emotional as I normally do post op I hope to god those rooms have air con too :hitthefan:xx

It is so refreshing to see an honest post like this - I'm 2 days post and also also still in a lot of pain, crap mobility and feeling emotional. I'm barely getting enough water down but just because I feel so bloated! The shoulder pain has been horrendous! My mum is staying with me to help look after my children (and partner lol) and I feel so bad leaving them to fend for themselves! I didn't expect to feel so bad! Xx

Congratulations probably not what you want to here at the minute lol Omg ! So glad to here from you I've been so anxious waiting for you to post so pleased your out and home but so sorry to here the pain and regret but just keep telling yourself it's not going to last and it WILL get better Hun I've heard alot of people start off with the feeling of what the hell have I done !!! But it will pass before you know it , your not on your own believe me , I had my pre op on Monday and god I was so nervous but since it has calmed me down I think like you just before you try not to think about it too much but it's always at the front of any thoughts I just want it over and done with now,
I'm not sure what your pain was from but I'm not looking forward to the gas pain at all , I done a previous post about my other surgeries and it was that what I was dreading but hopefully it's all worth it in the long run , when your feeling up to it I'd like to here what you've had fluid wise or as you say you can barely manage soup , I'm counting down now my surgery is Wednesday ........ arhhh Hun hoping you start feeling a little better soon

Ohhh bbe, so so glad to hear from you and pleased the operation went well!!! The pain sounds horrible but keep asking for more painkillers and take it easy!

U will not feel like this forever and I am sure you wont regret it hun - when the weight drops off and u look and feel amazing - that is when u will think this short term pain was worth it xxx

U r so brave :hugs:

I am a little nervous but diet is going ok thanks hun xx

Update us again when u can but just try n sleep as much as pos xxxx

Hi Girlies.

Thank you for all your lovely responses. I plan to be very truthful and open about my journey as I know everybody's journey is different but from posts and videos I've seen, I don't think they really prepared me for the physical and emotional journey I've embarked on.

Today is day 5 post op, I am now managing approx 1 litre of water a day with approx 30g of really runny ready brek throughout the day and some fortified milk.

I cannot stomach soup at the moment, I tried a blended runny scotch broth and it was clearly too rich for my stomach as I had stomach cramps and feeling like I needed to poop all night!!

As for my incisions they are healing really well and aren't causing me too much discomfort apart from the biggest where my stomach was removed it's quite tender. The rest just feels like I've done a lot of ab crunches.

I'm very tired and weak, I look pale and trying to get fluids down is a full time job!! It takes approx 4-5 hours to drink 500ml.

Hoping this journey gets easier, I am an emotional wreck. Hasn't been a day where I haven't burst into tears yet.

Hope you are all well & best of luck with your surgeries if we don't speak before. I look forward to hearing from all of you xxx

Lj

Thanks for being so honest. I think it can only help to hear these things. I'm sure we'd all like to be as prepared as possible.

I hope things get easier for you very soon. And I'm sure the regret will pass very quickly as soon as you're through the worst and start to see the weight falling off!

I'm starting my pre op diet tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous and I still haven't decided exactly what diet I want to follow. My surgeon hasn't given me a strict diet, just a low fat one. I think I might try to follow the milk diet though.

How is everyone else feeling?

Yeahhhhhhh:woohoo:well done Nicky how is the smoking going ? X

Thanks hun :)

Quiting smoking is sooo hard, I called my provider and they said as long as a cut down for a week and quit for a week..i will be fine..which is what I have done..

:(

Hurry op!!!!!! Just want it done now xxxx

Thanks hun :)

Quiting smoking is sooo hard, I called my provider and they said as long as a cut down for a week and quit for a week..i will be fine..which is what I have done..

:(

Hurry op!!!!!! Just want it done now xxxx
Well I think your doing great keep it up not long now xx

Good luck to all of you.

I had my op back in January and had a really tough time with rare complications as my bowel was perforated during surgery so I went to theatre on three successive days, spent 6 days out of it in ICU and a total of three weeks in hospital. BUT, I am now down seven stone and doing things I never thought I would be able to do again and generally feel very well. It's the silly things that you didn't put on your wish list that take me with joy; like being able to bend to weed the gravel and pick lego up off the floor. I'm also lucky in that I can eat anything without problems and That all consuming hunger has vanished.

What I'm trying to say is that it is a big operation and tough for the first few weeks even without the complications I had, but it gets better. I followed the dietary advice to the letter to wean on to a full menu and I think that helped. Ask anything in the early weeks and I'll be as honest as LJ.

LJ I am glad you are in a better place that you were the last time you posted. I am cheering you on from essex. You are doing well stay strong chicken, there are brighter skies ahead xx

So here I am in Solihull. My surgery is about 4pm tomorrow . I have done all I can to prepare. My final weigh in was 23lb loss. Pleased with that. I had to eat out I chose wisely with small steak with veg no dressings etc. No desert either. I'm getting good at saying no.

I can have a light breakfast. I'm opting for fruit and yogurt. Then nothing. No chewing gum either boooo.

Back