• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers

tranquil_butterfly

That is so sad about your husband, that must be hard for you at times. I can understand that fear about eating, maybe just try one new thing at a time, just a very small amount to see how it goes. When my hair started falling out and going thin I got some Biotin and Zinc tablets and taking those have made a big difference, my hair us growing back and getting thicker, so might be worth a go for you. Getting it cut will make it feel better x

Thank you for your kind words Sarnie. My hair is very thin at the front. I will look into the Biotin and Zinc you suggested.

TB x

tranquil_butterfly

Hello all. I have had an accident. I had a fall in my garage on Sunday and have done severe damage to my left shoulder. I landed on it full weight straight onto a concrete floor. I went to A&E and was x rayed, put in a sling and told to come back to the hospital today. Today I was given a more substantial sling and I have to go back in 2 weeks. I was supposed to start my phased return after my revision op on Tuesday. I have now negotiated to work from home and start tomorrow. I have to try and keep my injured shoulder in place and type one handed. I am devastated. I have been feeling so low after my surgery in November and this has now set me back even more. I cannot drive and whether I have surgery or not it is going to take months to recover. I have a lump on my shoulder where the bone is sticking up and that is likely to be permanent.

I am struggling with food at the moment. I am having to cut my protein up into tiny pieces to eat it, well mashed in with veg and gravy. If I keep food whole I just cannot bear the thought of trying to eat it. I have not weighed myself as I am frightened to after the last time. I need to get over myself. I feel really depressed but don't want to start on the road of medication. I think the last few years of coping with Mr TB's illness has caught up with me.

Sorry for the long moan. I am in pain with my shoulder and just feeling very overwhelmed.

TB x

Irene44

Hello all. I have had an accident. I had a fall in my garage on Sunday and have done severe damage to my left shoulder. I landed on it full weight straight onto a concrete floor. I went to A&E and was x rayed, put in a sling and told to come back to the hospital today. Today I was given a more substantial sling and I have to go back in 2 weeks. I was supposed to start my phased return after my revision op on Tuesday. I have now negotiated to work from home and start tomorrow. I have to try and keep my injured shoulder in place and type one handed. I am devastated. I have been feeling so low after my surgery in November and this has now set me back even more. I cannot drive and whether I have surgery or not it is going to take months to recover. I have a lump on my shoulder where the bone is sticking up and that is likely to be permanent.

I am struggling with food at the moment. I am having to cut my protein up into tiny pieces to eat it, well mashed in with veg and gravy. If I keep food whole I just cannot bear the thought of trying to eat it. I have not weighed myself as I am frightened to after the last time. I need to get over myself. I feel really depressed but don't want to start on the road of medication. I think the last few years of coping with Mr TB's illness has caught up with me.

Sorry for the long moan. I am in pain with my shoulder and just feeling very overwhelmed.

TB x

Oh sweetheart I’m so sorry to hear about fall. God love you hun Biggest hugs :) xx

Bling Babe

TB x
Aw TB that’s awful news, no need to apologise for moaning you have every right to feel down in the dumps, you been through so much and caring for Mr TB has been ongoing for so long you must be drained both physically and also emotionally, hopefully working from home will help you feel a sense of worth and help to take your mind off things a little, do you know why your struggling to whole food?
Take care my love, thinking of you x

tranquil_butterfly

Aw TB that’s awful news, no need to apologise for moaning you have every right to feel down in the dumps, you been through so much and caring for Mr TB has been ongoing for so long you must be drained both physically and also emotionally, hopefully working from home will help you feel a sense of worth and help to take your mind off things a little, do you know why your struggling to whole food?
Take care my love, thinking of you x
I think the struggle with whole food is all in my mind. Having gone so long with not being able to keep anything down before the revision surgery I am afraid I will start being sick again. I feel 'safe' with softer consistency food which is easier to chew then swallow. I cannot keep eating soft food for the rest of my life so I need to conquer this fear as it is irrational. It also means I am not being adventurous in terms of what I am eating and that may tempt me back into eating the wrong things. Having said that the thought of dumping and just not going back having reached the weight I am after years of struggle albeit by illness is stopping me doing anything stupid at this stage. I need to give myself a break. You are right about the physical and emotional toll things have taken. I need to heed the advice I have offered to others and be kind to myself.

TB x

Sarnie

TB x
Oh hun, so sorry to read this. I hope you heal quicker than expected and that the pain eases too. Big hugs x

Irene44

I hope your ok and feeling a little better TB xx

tranquil_butterfly

Hi Mazza. Hope you are well. I went back to the hospital on Wednesday. The shoulder was too swollen and painful for them to do anything. I saw the consultant and he confirmed that I have torn away the ligament. So I have a bone sticking up which you can see and feel and that will be a permanent disfigurement unless they decide I need surgery. I have an appointment on 27 February with the physio and today I got another appointment to see the consultant again on 8 March. At least they are seeing me quickly. The consultant did say they try to avoid surgery so it all depends how badly damaged the other ligaments are just below the area where the ligament has completely gone. I have been given a more substantial sling which is providing better support than the one I was given on Sunday. I am in a lot of pain and having to dose up on the strong painkillers I usually take for pain relief. I did negotiate with work about starting my phased return. The consultant said if I could type one handed and keep the injured shoulder as immobile as possible then I could try. I worked from home all day Thursday and Friday which is not what was agreed. It is so busy I had no choice. My team is drowning in work so I felt I had to step in. It is not ideal and finding a comfortable position in my chair so I can type is difficult. I will see how it goes.

I do feel really depressed. I cannot drive and I am relying on online shopping or getting in a taxi. A friend came out in the taxi with me today so I could pick up more painkillers. I did not feel safe travelling alone one handed. He cannot do this all the time so it is going to be a difficult few months until I heal. I just hope that I do not have to have surgery.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for checking on me.

TB x

Bling Babe

Hi Mazza. Hope you are well. I went back to the hospital on Wednesday. The shoulder was too swollen and painful for them to do anything. I saw the consultant and he confirmed that I have torn away the ligament. So I have a bone sticking up which you can see and feel and that will be a permanent disfigurement unless they decide I need surgery. I have an appointment on 27 February with the physio and today I got another appointment to see the consultant again on 8 March. At least they are seeing me quickly. The consultant did say they try to avoid surgery so it all depends how badly damaged the other ligaments are just below the area where the ligament has completely gone. I have been given a more substantial sling which is providing better support than the one I was given on Sunday. I am in a lot of pain and having to dose up on the strong painkillers I usually take for pain relief. I did negotiate with work about starting my phased return. The consultant said if I could type one handed and keep the injured shoulder as immobile as possible then I could try. I worked from home all day Thursday and Friday which is not what was agreed. It is so busy I had no choice. My team is drowning in work so I felt I had to step in. It is not ideal and finding a comfortable position in my chair so I can type is difficult. I will see how it goes.

I do feel really depressed. I cannot drive and I am relying on online shopping or getting in a taxi. A friend came out in the taxi with me today so I could pick up more painkillers. I did not feel safe travelling alone one handed. He cannot do this all the time so it is going to be a difficult few months until I heal. I just hope that I do not have to have surgery.

TB x
Bless you, wish I lived closer to be able to help you physically and emotionall, gentle hugs to you xx

tranquil_butterfly

Bless you, wish I lived closer to be able to help you physically and emotionall, gentle hugs to you xx
Bless you. Thanks.

Today is a week since the fall and it is as painful as ever. The painkillers are causing constipation. Mr TB keeps looking at my arm with furrowed brows. I know he is worried. I explained what happened but I am not sure how much he understands. It is so difficult. I am going to have to do a full days work again tomorrow. I have been even more fatigued this weekend from doing the two days last week.

I had two letters from the hospital on Friday. The test results are back. I have a zinc deficiency. My haemoglobin is now back to normal ranges. I did not even know they were abnormal. They must have picked that up from the bloods they took at the preop assessment back in June. I have been advised in the letter to take two multivitamins instead of one. I have booked a telephone consultation with the GP to discuss this as the brand I take says one a day and not to exceed the dose so I want some clear advice on this. I am not sure if being deficient in zinc would explain how I am feeling.

TB x

Alexandra Nevermind

TB x
Hi TB. What a lovely name. I have never chatted to you before on the forum, but I just wanted to say hi, and send healing vibes and let you know that strangers are rooting for you [so friends must be]. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Feeling overwhelmed and vulnerable is VERY normal in the circumstances. Absolutely to be expected. Please, please, please do try to take a measured approach to work. BELIEVE ME, I understand the impulse. We seem alike in this respect. At least take regular breaks, and I swear by guided meditations.
It's hard to ask for help. But do.
Am going to read your diary. All love to you.