• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

May 2014 Surgeries

Thank you everyone :) I'm amazed!

Haha Terrilou, very politically correct as I'm still on liquids and total mush baby food ;) xx

I have been told I should only have drinks that will go easily up a straw for 2 weeks, then 1 week on thicker liquids, then if I'm ready after 1 week, I should do at least a week on puree, then soft foods, then gradually try normal food. They reckon I should be on small portions of normal food within 3 months.

All providers vary on the post op diets I did 1 week liquid 1 week puree 1 week soft now on 4th week I can have normal which for me is softer foods anyway as I have no teeth for hard foods

Congrats also banana on the loss

Someone I know that had the op last week at the same place I'm having mine was told slightly different too, so they're not all consistent within the same hospital. Lol!

I think everyone progresses differently too!! Terrilou I have been cleaning like mad and had cooked OH lots of dinners before pre op! Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight!! Xx

I think everyone progresses differently too!! Terrilou I have been cleaning like mad and had cooked OH lots of dinners before pre op! Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight!! Xx

No, I don't think I'll sleep much on Wednesday night either. I'm kind of thinking that I'll be able to sleep a lot when I get back home at the weekend. Hopefully you will get a good nights sleep tonight. xx

No, I don't think I'll sleep much on Wednesday night either. I'm kind of thinking that I'll be able to sleep a lot when I get back home at the weekend. Hopefully you will get a good nights sleep tonight. xx

Funny, I actually slept really well the night before surgery. I had to get up at 5am though, to leave by 5.45am to catch the 6.18 train to Paddington.

I felt very relaxed when I got to hospital. I think because I'd been well prepared for the procedure, including watching video of the operation (bypass) I was having.

terrilou, best of luck this week. x

Thanks Dave, I have watched a lot on YouTube, from the op to video diaries. I am so ready for this, but still very nervous. Mines the bypass too. xx

Dave how did you get to watch a video of the op? Iv tried on you tube but all I can get is clips of virtual op's? what am I doing wrong? my op is on 21.5 getting nervous now too.

2/05/14 ....Juicy Lucy ..... Band .... Dolan Park :winner:
6/05/14... Mrs Duck .... sleeve
:winner:
6/05/14.... Change4life.... sleeve
6/05/14... Banana19... sleeve :winner:
6/05/14 ....Jamast....Bypass....Treliske, Cornwall
:winner:
12/05/14 ...Anniebannie... sleeve
13/05/13... Mandijayne...Band... Drewsberry
15/05/14 ....Terrilou .....Bypass ....Derby Royal
17/-5/14.. The Bear... Band.... Dolan Park
18/05/14.. Nikola.. Band.. Spire Manchester
18/05/14.. nuttyblond.. band ..Chelsfield Park Orpington Kent
21/05/14...Trish418 ....Bypass... Spire Solihull
23//05/14... Millywomble... Bypass
25/05/14... Melarnz...Sleeve.. Kings College
27/05/14.....Samp24..Bypass..Treliske, Cornwall
28/05/14.. Kerry2656... Bypass
30/05/14 ..Rob.74.. Bypass
31/05/14.. BluegirlUK.. Band

MandiJayne wishing you the very best for tomorrow. You will be just fine.
See you on the other side! Just remember to rest up and stick to the recommendations.

Banana your weightloss is fantabulous! Well done you!

I am flying high on a promise of wearing my summer clothes that I couldnt last year. It's such a lovely feeling to be so optimistic! Woop woop!

Hi all

As predicted I can't sleep!! Not through nerves but just the way I am. I always sleep badly before anything that requires a really early start!! Think it's a fear of sleeping in!!

Terrilou good luck for Wednesday! I'll save some room for you on the losers bench!

Keep going with those fantastic weight losses and I'll be joining you all soon!!

Night night xx

Dave how did you get to watch a video of the op? Iv tried on you tube but all I can get is clips of virtual op's? what am I doing wrong? my op is on 21.5 getting nervous now too.

They're on YouTube. Here's a couple -

http://youtu.be/p_-Rmk8Mfwk

And another -

http://youtu.be/Qzg607nM2hw

Warning - contains graphic images of a surgical procedure. Not for the squeamish, but great for the inquisitive.

(Some are age-restricted, and require age-verification on YouTube)

Good luck Mandijayne, I will be thinking of you, hope to hear from you on the other side when you feel up to it. xx

Dave, I think its good to see what is going to happen. Its amazing what they can do now, isn't it?

I may just be having normal pre op jitters, but these are the things that have been running through my head. - am I mutilating myself as punishment for being so greedy
- will having a sleeve work
- Is it worth paying out every penny I have (and don't have!) for something that may not work
- I know it's not a cure, but a tool; therefore what if I spend all this money, and I still eat just as badly as before and am still fat but skint as well!

I may just be having normal pre op jitters, but these are the things that have been running through my head. - am I mutilating myself as punishment for being so greedy - will having a sleeve work - Is it worth paying out every penny I have (and don't have!) for something that may not work - I know it's not a cure, but a tool; therefore what if I spend all this money, and I still eat just as badly as before and am still fat but skint as well!

I think these are normal reactions to what is essentially a major operation, which in essence has life-long consequences. I'd be more concerned if you didn't have these fears. This shows you're thinking it through.

Remember, we can't maintain weight loss normally. The tool we need is our surgery. So long as we realise it isn't the be all and end all and that it's going to take work from us to achieve and maintain our goals, then I think we've made a great decision.

The sleeve works - there's plenty of evidence to prove that it does. It'll need input from you though. You'll become a more diligent eater - consuming less because you have to. If you eat too much, especially in the early days, the dangers are there - blockage, staple-line rupture, etc.

Treat post-op as a learning phase, at least for the first 4-6 weeks. I struggled at first to be honest, but now I find it easy. I'm 4-weeks post-op tomorrow.

Remember also that the sleeve can become a gastric bypass if need be, however; most people don't need that and the sleeve does the job. I only chose bypass because I didn't fancy having major surgery twice.

Finally, you're not mutilating yourself. Sometimes in life we need a little help. You've made a conscious, positive life decision.

Wishing you the very best of luck, we're all here for support. xx

Mel, it's all completely normal. You'll be probably sick of hearing it, but it's true, honest. I'd got myself in such a tizz before the op, that when I woke up I felt relieved that it was over and my brain could rest! It was like a great weight had been lifted - in reality I suppose it had too!

Just try to relax and take your mind off it, easier said than done I know. Xx

Melarnz don't worry I have had same thoughts. Having failed at every other attempt to lose weight I have been doing the same. I keep allowing myself to dream and hope a little about the possibility of enjoying wearing smaller clothes etc then snap myself back in case I am disappointed again and blown the life savings. But
..... logically wise this time next year it is a real possibility so try to imagine how happy you will be and you may not even recognise your life by then x

Arghhh just when it had all gone smoothly. WLS group card machine has broke and now want me to pay to a bank account even though I paid last week. Can anyone vouch for them? Lose section 75 card protection against loss of services if i do that. This preop diet is making me suspicious! They suggested rearranging and can't do that as all arrangements in place :-(

Just heard that they have arranged for hospital to take payment as a one off! Had a right wobble there pre nerves. Anyone heard yet from the two most recent girls?

Back