• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleever Feb 2014

slimpip

Hi everyone, my name is Pip and I've been lurking around this site for a few weeks. I have found it absolutely invaluable and I've found the supporting nature of most posts so encouraging and it's answered many questions I didn't even know I wanted to ask.

I thought I'd share my brief (thus far) experience of NHS weight loss surgery as it hasn't been what I expected at all. I went to my GP at the start of July and asked that, after 13 years of being overweight and trying every diet possible, she refer me for weight loss surgery. She agreed to do it but told me not to get my hopes up. Shortly after this, I was asked to see a CPN at my GP surgery to discuss my reasons for wanting surgery, that went fine, she said I seemed to know what I wanted and why.

Short cut to September 27th, I had a letter from Telford Hospital inviting me to an appointment with Mr Sigurdsson on November 15th, which I attended. I was in there for no more than 25 minutes and I'm booked in for February. I am in shock!! I have read so many posts about funding battles etc and long waiting lists and I feel like a bit of a cheat haha. All I have to do is lose 5kg (11lbs) and attend at 2.5hr education session in January. Has anybody else had an experience like this?

I have a lot to lose, about 9.5st. Cannot wait to get started, very excited!!

Hi and good luck :)

Thanks ladies, butterfly we have the same start weight, how much are you hoping to lose? X

don't feel like a cheat, feel like a lucky so and so! good luck and welcome to a great website !

Thanks Los, I do and I intend on running with it!! Maybe even literally haha, x

Hi

I went private for a sleeve so cannot comment on nhs side. But wanted to say I had mr sigurdsson at Telford and I thought he was fab :0)

It's great that your journey has been straightforward so far. Feb will be here before you know it. I also had a very good experience of getting funding. Saw the GP at the beginning of Feb, went through weight management and then sleeved in October. Everyone was very supportive.

Aww thanks for that Emma, I saw lots of comments saying he was a little stern and a man of few words, wellll he must of had his weetabix when I saw him cos he was jibbering on making jokes to the nurses haha. I feel like the next 10 weeks are going to be the slowest of my life, is it viable to go into hibernation? x

Thanks ladies, butterfly we have the same start weight, how much are you hoping to lose? X

I have lost 20 lbs on the pre op if I could lost another 8st I'd be estatic not really thought too much about final weight really :)

I've lost 20 lbs on the milk diet if I could lose another 8 st I'd be so chuffed but not really thought too much of an end weight as I don't want to sent myself up to fail :)

Silly phone lol thought first post didn't work

Yeah well it may not be how I should be managing it, but I'm planning on maintaining until start of Jan (get xmas out of the way), then losing in jan, obv the majority being on the milk diet. Did you find it hard? X

Yeah well it may not be how I should be managing it, but I'm planning on maintaining until start of Jan (get xmas out of the way), then losing in jan, obv the majority being on the milk diet. Did you find it hard? X

Do what works for you hunni. As for the milk diet after day 3 or 4 it was fine and I never cheated once :)

Oh good, and 20lbs is excellent!!! you must be chuffed with that! X

I have been told early next year for my sleeve but my journey began march 2012. That's a quick turn around for you ") well done x

hi there welcome and goodluck i was due bypass end feb but on hold not for too long i hope though

Yeah I've been offered sleeve or bypass. He says he is happy to do either. Does anybody have an opinion on what I should do?

Oh I do hope you're not waiting too long, howcome it was postponed? X

Hi slimpip. I would say sleeve is better, only because it's less drastic for your body and you can achieve the same weight loss like with bypass. And because your food gets digested normal way you use all the nutrition from your food you eat unlike when you have bypass where food doesn't stay in long enough for your body to get all the nutrition needed. Therefore if you eat healthy balance diet with sleeve you don't have to eat vitamins and nutrition supplements for the rest of your life. :)

Oh that's great advice thanks. I initially said yes to the sleeve because the plan is to have a baby after and I thought it might be easier with a sleeve! I guess there is always the option to do a bypass later on if there was an issue, but not the reverse. Yeah, think I've made the right decision. Thanks hun x

You are very welcome. You can have bypass done later but in most cases this is not necessary as the sleeve is enough for you to achieve your goals. :)

Back