• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My pre op diet diary

A very bittersweet day for me today. It was my last day in work before my surgery. I'm really going to miss my job and my work friends over the next few weeks.

I had lots of good luck cards and a lovely bouquet of flowers. The most special gift of all was from my friend Tracy's six year old son called Josh. He made me a heart shaped good luck charm, and gave strict instructions that it must accompany me to hospital, to keep me safe.

Reality is really kicking in now and my anxiety levels are rising. My mood swings from being really excited, to being absolutely scared to death. I'm petrified of the anaesthetic. Only one more day to go now, till a new chapter of my life begins.

All my work colleagues are lovely. They have been so supportive and kind, ever since I told them I was being referred for wls. I really am blessed to have such lovely people in my life :)

Your work mates sound really nice, it's lovely that they are being so supportive. Not long for you now Paula! I'm getting really nervous too. I've gone from being really excited to being on a bit of a downer!

I'm not really worried about the anaesthetic at the moment, maybe that will change nearer the time! I'm more worried about the surgeon making a mistake and puncturing my liver or severing my aorta or something. I am a true pessimist lol!!

Awe honey pls don't worry about the anaesthetic like all things it has it's risks but the aniesthatist has trained long and hard to look after you, I work in an operating theatre so know how hard it is I have frightened patients every day but hopefully put them at ease xxx

Good luck with it all, my op is on 22nd Oct and I am sooo looking forward to it. I only just had an op last week on my knee and had a general anaesthetic then too and it was fine! I woke up in recovery in the middle of having a lovely dream, so wanted to find out the ending! :) anaesthetic is a doddle you will be fine, try not to stress x

Seriously though Paula you will be absolutely fine. I have watched tons of programmes about people having bypass surgery and some of them are so unfit and are a big anaesthetic risk. They have all come round fine and I think if they are ok then we will be ok.
I keep giving myself a little pep talk to stop myself being negative. If I really thought something bad would happen to me during the surgery then I wouldn't have it done.
I have been overweight most of my childhood and all of my adult life and I'm worried how I'll cope emotionally being "normal" size. I have blamed a lot of things on my size all my life and if it's still the same when I'm thinner then I'll know it wasn't anything to do with being overweight, it was just me all along. Also the times I've said I'll do this when I'm thin or do that when I've lost weight, now I'm thinking will I actually do those things?? Will I still be the same boring, old before my time person?? It's very scary!

Thank you Sarah, I know I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I can't help it. I understand what you mean about blaming everything on your weight. I've done the same thing all my adult life. I fully intend to do all the things I've put off because of my size and you should too xx

I guess I'll just have to trust the anaesthetist, like my patients trust me :-/

Exactly! Just think of what you would say to one of your patients if they were worried about something.
I'll have to do all those things I've put off otherwise I'll have nothing else to do as everything I do now centres around food! We usually go out for a meal as a treat so we will have to find something else now x

Paula honestly honey you will be fine, I asked the anaesthetist if it was a problem with being overweight when I had my knee op last week, he was so lovely he said he was only putting my brain to sleep and we all have the same size brain (although mine acts pea sized sometimes) :) you shouldn't worry, he will look after you carefully, don't forget they are also doctors with extra years of learning added on! Best of luck, but you will think why did I stress when it's all over. Xxx

Sarah I've thought exactly the same- keep telling hubby that I will be happier and easier when I'm thin and so worried I will be grumpy! I have a really strong stomach now and never have any foods that don't agree with me..can't rem being unwell and going for this op is so major. I've had 6 hour discharge after all 3 births..petrified now!! Good luck all!!

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm hoping to get some sort of sleep tonight. I'm up early, as I'm being admitted at 7am.

Paula Lewis said:
Thank you all for your kind words. I'm hoping to get some sort of sleep tonight. I'm up early, as I'm being admitted at 7am.

Good luck hun your in the best hands honest and enjoy the anaesthetic it's nice feels like your sinking into the bed I always tell my pts to enjoy it before you
Know you will be in recovery all done! Xx

kellsbells said:
Good luck hun your in the best hands honest and enjoy the anaesthetic it's nice feels like your sinking into the bed I always tell my pts to enjoy it before you
Know you will be in recovery all done! Xx

Thank you. I'll try to, but tbh I'm still scared xx

Weighed myself this morning as I am a week post surgery. Since beginning my pre op diet and a week on the liquid diet I have lost 23lb !!! I can't believe it ! :) :) :)

Thats smashing news bet we know where most of that has come from Haha. Well done good start, keep it going and you will be amazed at it falling off. xx

Back