• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PreOp diary to keep me on track

I've just read the whole time line but no entry for the result.
I hope it went well.
Do tell us how you're coping post op.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes... I survived!!!!

Joe you were right about the earplugs but unfortunately I forgot to pack them...

I was first down on Tuesday - woken and showered at 6.30am and wheeled down at 8.30am. I thought I would be in for some lovely dreams while put out, but apparently you dont dream. I can't even remember things going fuzzy. It was just like blinking. One minute I was awake getting the aneastetic; the next 'poof' I was awake in the anti-room being wheeled back to the ward. I really thought they hadnt done it - it felt so quick.

Didnt have too much pain - just discomfort; wind kicked in on the second day - thank god I had a cold and couldnt smell it... I was rather tired and kept drifting off when my visitors came.

There were a few worries - I needed the loo, so I got my pjs on and nurse helped me up, but I must have bent too far forward and popped a wound so got blood everywhere. They patched me up and I've been fine since.
I also threw up blood a couple of times but this was due to the ventilation tube scratching my throat as that can happen. Had some bloods taken just to be on the safe side but all came back normal.

Day 2 felt much brighter - more myself. I managed to do 3 cups of water. Day 3 I had some puree - 2 spoons of porridge and 2 spoons of soup and kept both down; also 3 cups of water. Going to have to build up to the 2 litres in stages I think as I've never been a big drinker.

Have loads of meds to take - dont have to have the blood thinning injections at home thank god - they sting like little bees. Have dropped the diabetes meds for now but have to try the metformin 1 tablet in 4 weeks time when I'm back on normal foods. Bloods seem ok - steady away around the 7-8 mark.

Other than the stinking cold I am fine. All has gone smoothly so far and I dont feel too bad with it.

The worst bit is not being able to give my cats cuddles on my belly - have had to fight them off through the night.

How long were you in hospital for? Do you feel sore in the inside? Is it liquid medication your having to take or can you have tablets?

Hi Linz, I was in two nights (three if you count Monday before the op) - Op on Tuesday, home on Thursday. Havent had any pain or soreness inside as such - just discomfort. I have wondered more than once if they've actually done the op! I had paracetamol on the drip on Tuesday night; Wednesday I had meds in tablet form and managed to take them ok. I stopped the paracetamol yesterday as I'm not in any pain. The fastabs are disolvable/chewable. The ones to prevent gallstones worried me the most as they are about size of a new 5p but I'm managing to take them so far.

The only real pain is in my butt - from having to lie on my back propped up in bed. I tried lying on my side last night and managed on my right side for half hour, but left side pulled a bit so I moved onto my back again.

Hi Linz, I was in two nights (three if you count Monday before the op) - Op on Tuesday, home on Thursday. Havent had any pain or soreness inside as such - just discomfort. I have wondered more than once if they've actually done the op! I had paracetamol on the drip on Tuesday night; Wednesday I had meds in tablet form and managed to take them ok. I stopped the paracetamol yesterday as I'm not in any pain. The fastabs are disolvable/chewable. The ones to prevent gallstones worried me the most as they are about size of a new 5p but I'm managing to take them so far.

The only real pain is in my butt - from having to lie on my back propped up in bed. I tried lying on my side last night and managed on my right side for half hour, but left side pulled a bit so I moved onto my back again.

Thank you so much for getting back to me, it all sounds as everything went perfectly, I'm so happy for you. You've got a wonderful sense of humour too, that will help you so much in your continued recovery , thank you for answering my queries,I'm a little more settled now . Here's hoping you have a comfortable nights sleep xx

Hi nova may ,
I'm on day one of my pre op and am ok just feeling really overwhelmed by it all at the
Moment. Just wanted to say that reading your posts has given me a little bit of inspiration and some good ideas for menus. I'm having a bypass on 5 march in Liverpool. I'm getting so nervous now. I'm going to do what u have and start a diary. I wish you lots of luck and happiness, you sound like you are doing well so far, once again, thankyou x

Back