• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

Can I ask if any of you remember how long after the op you were up to visitors at the hospital? Ive now been told my op is an afternoon slot after all, gutted really as ive never left my kids overnight so definately wanted them to come see I was ok that evening, I know everyones different but was after a rough guide, they arent babies, but theyre my babies and I dont want to scare them if im completely out of it, thanks in advance x

I had an afternoon slot 330ish i think and my other half came about an hour after I had come round. I was in and out of sleepiness and felt pretty ruff. He just read a book until leaving time lol. Was nice to have him around but I wasn't much company lol.

My op was in the evening and I was in HDU (or whatever they called it!) and not back in my room for that first night. I didn't get much sleep but I was in and out of it. My OH came to see me as soon as they had taken the breathing tube out and before they had set up all the painkillers etc. I was talking to them as they injected the second syringe of painkiller and that was me gone! Apparently I just glazed over and was not with it at all.

Even if you are back in your bed/room, I wouldn't have thought you will feel much like visitors/speaking to people, but everyone is different! It also depends what painkillers they have you on.

What about face-timing them instead? I didn't that night being in HDU but as soon as I got back to my room I face-timed my parents and they were reassured that I was ok, if a little (lot) pale!

That might be a way of letting them see you are ok without actually being there.

I was told it was because it would wash food through my stomach more quickly and that would make me feel hungry again more quickly.
Thanks Penny, that makes sense and may have contributed to my feeling more hungry this week which i had totally put down to always feeling more hungry when I have a cold.

My op was in the evening and I was in HDU (or whatever they called it!) and not back in my room for that first night. I didn't get much sleep but I was in and out of it. My OH came to see me as soon as they had taken the breathing tube out and before they had set up all the painkillers etc. I was talking to them as they injected the second syringe of painkiller and that was me gone! Apparently I just glazed over and was not with it at all.

Even if you are back in your bed/room, I wouldn't have thought you will feel much like visitors/speaking to people, but everyone is different! It also depends what painkillers they have you on.

What about face-timing them instead? I didn't that night being in HDU but as soon as I got back to my room I face-timed my parents and they were reassured that I was ok, if a little (lot) pale!

That might be a way of letting them see you are ok without actually being there.
Not sure where the question is to this, but I had my op in afternoon and was back on the ward at 5. I had said I didn't want visitors as I knew from previous experience that I would not be feeling like them. I had one planned for the next night (none were family) and whereas it was nice to know they were coming, the reality was that someone else turned up unexpectedly as well, and i was in the process of moving from HDU to ward, so found it all very exhausting! Did a lot of texting though so people knew I was ok.

I was in HDU the first night and was taken to theatre about 3.30pm. My husband was going to come up but I told him not to because I felt pretty rubbish and he's done enough sitting next to hospital beds. I was in 2 nights and my eldest came with my best friend to collect me though and I was fit enough not to scare her which was my main concern. I would not have let them come while I was still hooked up to a morphine drip etc because morphine administered that way often makes me hallucinate.
If you think the kids will handle you being very tired and sore then arrange for them to come but personally I'd play it by ear and see how you feel. It wounds like you want to reassure them you're OK but it might backfire if you feel rubbish. For as unwell as I was straight after I was 200% better 24 hours after so it does seem to settle quickly. If you decide not to see them on day 1 it doesn't mean you won't be totally fine to see them the day after x

I get it :hugs:. Mine are still very small and because I've been life threateningly ill before they were very anxious indeed about me being in hospital at any point but especially having surgery and staying in. They always think the of the worst happening again which I understand. The way I dealt with it which was to be honest with them and also point out that this was planned surgery that I had prepared for by following a special diet to be in the best shape for. I told them I would be sore and tired afterwards but that it would be worth it because once I'd recovered I'd hopefully feel much better and have more energy etc.

It's always felt like they take their cue from me to some extent and if I was calm and open that's helped them keep calm. I've learned the hard way not to promise they could definitely see me at any point or that I'd call after an operation because when I haven't been able to or I have and I've felt and sounded awful it's done more harm than good. It's going to be fine and it's also going to be worth it, definitely worth a couple of maybe difficult days x

I was in HDU and my parents came to visit. I was pretty out of it; I don't think that they stayed long, but just wanted to see with their own eyes that I was ok. It will be different for kids - sorry if I've missed it, but how old are they? I'd play it by ear - some people come through and are in little pain, I remember being in masses amount of pain! I was also attached to all sorts of equipment (oxygen, heart monitor, blood pressure, flow trons as I didn't have stockings, erm, plusox, and IV fluids) which may scare children and I also had a drain in wound. I didn't actually know that the drain was there until the next morning though lol!

As for the eating, someone posted a video on Youtube that I've seen.
I don't know how accurate it is, but it's my understanding of not drinking straight after eating. However, I do do it sometimes, if I'm desperate for a drink or need to wash something down that feels a bit stuck.

@puddytats - excellence video and thanks as that has hammered it home to me.

Is anyone else at the hair thinning stage? It's getting very noticeable on me now. I leave hairs everywhere and am def thinner on top of my head.

I had my bypass on the 15th September just over 7 weeks ago haven't had any pain or wind problems and weight loss good 3 stone off which I am delighted with my problem is I'm so dizzy all the time has anyone else had this problem,any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I was in HDU and my parents came to visit. I was pretty out of it; I don't think that they stayed long, but just wanted to see with their own eyes that I was ok. It will be different for kids - sorry if I've missed it, but how old are they? I'd play it by ear - some people come through and are in little pain, I remember being in masses amount of pain! I was also attached to all sorts of equipment (oxygen, heart monitor, blood pressure, flow trons as I didn't have stockings, erm, plusox, and IV fluids) which may scare children and I also had a drain in wound. I didn't actually know that the drain was there until the next morning though lol!

As for the eating, someone posted a video on Youtube that I've seen.
I don't know how accurate it is, but it's my understanding of not drinking straight after eating. However, I do do it sometimes, if I'm desperate for a drink or need to wash something down that feels a bit stuck.

That's really helpful thank you.

Can I ask if any of you remember how long after the op you were up to visitors at the hospital? Ive now been told my op is an afternoon slot after all, gutted really as ive never left my kids overnight so definately wanted them to come see I was ok that evening, I know everyones different but was after a rough guide, they arent babies, but theyre my babies and I dont want to scare them if im completely out of it, thanks in advance x
My op was about 1pm - and I did not have any visitors that day. I wasn't in any particular pain, but was very sleepy (which is normal for me in the circumstances) and felt ugly with my stomach all bloated. However I notice that other people seem to vary a lot in their experiences so it is really a very personal decision. Me- I told every one to stay away until the next day and was glad I had.

@puddytats - excellence video and thanks as that has hammered it home to me.

Is anyone else at the hair thinning stage? It's getting very noticeable on me now. I leave hairs everywhere and am def thinner on top of my head.
My other half looked at me yesterday when I was talking about having my hair cut, and said - you are getting very thin on top - cheers mate!

See I was really different from above. I felt great after husband was there and home next day to the little one.

Sore but not as painful as expected

@erscrack - I get dizzy when I have not had enough water or food. It's rare though and normally I know what's caused it. Our dates and weight loss are similar so maybe you should see your doctor to make sure your iron levels are ok?

Back