• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

Rose2016

@SAM55 - I woke in the night - probably wakened by the sound of my tummy.
Have a horrible taste in my mouth - like copper. Think I read this is ketones? Recall a similar taste when I was pregnant and had (very) brief moment of panic when I remembered that!

Rose2016

Ten more sleeps until RNY

Turps

I think this is the right thread for me.
I got my date yesterday. I'm having a mini bypass on the 20th September at Sunderland. Because I'm still so heavy they want me to do the liver shrinking diet for 3 weeks, which meant I had to start that yesterday as it was exactly 3 weeks before the op date.
I'm doing the milk version, and yesterday wasn't too bad. Mainly because I'm in the middle of helping my son go back for his second year at uni, so it was a busy day. I suspect others may not be so easy.

Tracey

After day 4 it gets better ... I did milk one for 2wks ...
All I drank was big mugs of milky coffee which is quite filling when the hunger pains kicked in
Also had the sugar free jelly .. made it with milk so it was blamange like ..
Also drank lots of fizzy diet sugar free pop as I knew I wouldn't be having any after surgery ...
Good luck it will all be worth it xxxx

erscrack

I am a bit worried about the junior doctors strike
as my surgery is due in the middle of the planned walkout
has anyone been affected by previous industrial action?

Turps

Also had the sugar free jelly .. made it with milk so it was blamange like ..

What a fantastic idea. I'm going to try that.
Thankfully I have a fridge full of pepsi max right now. I'm going to miss that stuff.
Thank you for the encouragement.

Last edited:

SAM55

They sound like natural feelings,and ones that somehow I haven't felt yet which is concerning me a bit..., although may change on Sunday night when my friend who is dropping me off has gone and i am left alone in the patient hotel, with no one i know. Anxiety at all the practical stuff though :( My pre-op op diet was the thing I feared the most and hasn't been as bad as I thought. I had visions of feeling really ill, lethargic with cold sweats and sleepless nights. Was off my diabetic meds within two days and have felt a lot more energetic. Mary said to me that the motivation will keep me going and it has and i am now on Day 12. There are times when I do feel hungry and have to have some milk, and other times I totally forget about it when I am pre-occupied and have gone too long. Only once have I ventured out to a cafe with a friend and we both just had coffee, and i also had some milk. Normally we are stuffing on their amazing carrot cake! It was ok, even though i watched a young lad scoff the biggest plate of burger, salad and chips i have seen, but didn't even fancy the chips. Gave up burgers a long time ago. The things i have missed most are bananas and flapjacks :( I live on my own so I was able to clear out any temptations. I have varied my mild diet to include the odd protein shake, plus yoghurt and some slimfast, having read others pre-op diets on here. Variety is the key I think...

I have lost a stone in those twelve days, so hopefully my liver will be in good enough shape. Mary was very pleased when I saw her on Wednesday :)

The biggest drawback has been my memory, cognitive function and temper:rant:I offered to issue colleagues with hard hats :pillowfight:

How long have you had to be on the list and who is doing yours? Mine has taken 7 months since I was accepted for surgery - that I think has been the most difficult part of this.

SAM55

Wow next week! :greenapple:So close! I am so excited but terrified I will mess up my preop diet. How are u feeling? How was your preop diet?
PS If you want to read another Leeds person's diary of their inpatient and afterwards experience, although it was a bypass and not a sleeve, have a look for Puddytats on here. She is 6 weeks out on the other side and I have found her support very helpful in answering my questions. :)

FeeBee

Well done on that loss @SAM55 .

Sunshine99

Wow, a stone in 12 days, Well done @SAM55 :0clapper:

LittleMissNom

They sound like natural feelings,and ones that somehow I haven't felt yet which is concerning me a bit..., although may change on Sunday night when my friend who is dropping me off has gone and i am left alone in the patient hotel, with no one i know. Anxiety at all the practical stuff though :( My pre-op op diet was the thing I feared the most and hasn't been as bad as I thought. I had visions of feeling really ill, lethargic with cold sweats and sleepless nights. Was off my diabetic meds within two days and have felt a lot more energetic. Mary said to me that the motivation will keep me going and it has and i am now on Day 12. There are times when I do feel hungry and have to have some milk, and other times I totally forget about it when I am pre-occupied and have gone too long. Only once have I ventured out to a cafe with a friend and we both just had coffee, and i also had some milk. Normally we are stuffing on their amazing carrot cake! It was ok, even though i watched a young lad scoff the biggest plate of burger, salad and chips i have seen, but didn't even fancy the chips. Gave up burgers a long time ago. The things i have missed most are bananas and flapjacks :( I live on my own so I was able to clear out any temptations. I have varied my mild diet to include the odd protein shake, plus yoghurt and some slimfast, having read others pre-op diets on here. Variety is the key I think...

I have lost a stone in those twelve days, so hopefully my liver will be in good enough shape. Mary was very pleased when I saw her on Wednesday :)

The biggest drawback has been my memory, cognitive function and temper:rant:I offered to issue colleagues with hard hats :pillowfight:

How long have you had to be on the list and who is doing yours? Mine has taken 7 months since I was accepted for surgery - that I think has been the most difficult part of this.

Hard hats lol. Yeah I have struggled with concentrating and temper... but I have always been a bit on the hangry side.

Wow a stone, that's an awesome start!!

I haven't been able to face the prospect of nhs so am doing it privately. Although would prob qualify I just couldn't face the prospect of being turned down once I made the decision earlier in the year.

I'm being seen by Mr simon Dexter. He is really nice... also researched him online and seems to really know his stuff! I asked all sorts of questions and he was surprised by a couple lol... well he did say ask anything lol. I wondered what happened to the little (big) piece of me... lol... it's not worthy of scientific research lol... just headed for the bin :tan:

puddytats

Lol my surgeon was supposed to be Simon Dexter but due to the waiting list being behind, I only met the surgeon who did the surgery on the operating table. At least if you go privately, you are guaranteed the same person!

Well done Sam on your loss!

Happy to answer questions too

Turps

I have lost a stone in those twelve days, so hopefully my liver will be in good enough shape

That is fantastic. Well done!

Diane6763

Hi everybody, new here my bypass is 13th September Claremont Hospital Sheffield, started the milk diet on day 3 now :)

I can't believe this but I go in on Monday. I have been on LRD for 11 days. I haven't said before as worried about jinxing it but I am packing my bag.

The only thing is I feel quite ashamed. I've lost quite a bit in 11 days. So why can't I do this all the time:(

Good luck fellow September losers