• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

My dietitian rang me this afternoon to see how I was getting on. We talked about trying to get the right amount of protein in, in the first couple of weeks, and also the amount of fluids that soluble medicines take up. She said I was not to worry too much about getting everything right in first two weeks as the most important thing was that I remained hydrated, got my medicines down, and had a mixture of nutritional drinks and water. She thought what I had managed in two days was very good, and it will get easier. I just have to make sure my pee is yellow and not orange.
Also not to worry about the iron and the ADCAL (which I haven't got anyway) at the moment, but that the Forceval was the most important one, and no it shouldn't upset my stomach, cause diarrhoea or damage my stomach lining .

I found adding more milk to my Slimfast today has helped, almost double, and it has slipped down fine.

I wasn't given the option the surgeon told me what would be best for me which I was pleased
about as he is the doctor not me. Could ask the doctor what he would have if he was you!
I had been invited to take part in a study so was given lots of information which I did some more research on as it was a randomised one, and I wanted what was best for me, rather than it be a lucky dip! When I saw the consultant he hadn't read any notes of mine so didn't know i had a couple of hernias from previous surgery, so the bypass wasn't an option anyway. The NHS could have saved themselves a lot of money if they had done some basic research first as there was lots of paperwork, phone calls and even an interview before my appointment with the consultant, before I was told I was no longer eligible. I had spent a lot of time being anxious about ending up with something that wasn't right for me, but they dangle extra support if you take part in the study for an extra year on top of the two you get anyway. The support turned out to be the odd conversation with the dietitian.

I have learnt over the years at the hands of many doctors, that they don't always know what is best for you, and that it is best to be aware of your own body and its needs.

I had been invited to take part in a study so was given lots of information which I did some more research on as it was a randomised one, and I wanted what was best for me, rather than it be a lucky dip! When I saw the consultant he hadn't read any notes of mine so didn't know i had a couple of hernias from previous surgery, so the bypass wasn't an option anyway. The NHS could have saved themselves a lot of money if they had done some basic research first as there was lots of paperwork, phone calls and even an interview before my appointment with the consultant, before I was told I was no longer eligible. I had spent a lot of time being anxious about ending up with something that wasn't right for me, but they dangle extra support if you take part in the study for an extra year on top of the two you get anyway. The support turned out to be the odd conversation with the dietitian.

I have learnt over the years at the hands of many doctors, that they don't always know what is best for you, and that it is best to be aware of your own body and its needs.
I am on the By-Band-Sleeve study and agree with what you say above. However, I think it is a good thing that they do the research, and because it said very clearly that you could withdraw at any time, I went ahead at least as far as learning what surgery I would be allocated. I was given the sleeve, which was my choice anyway so I am very happy with things. I wanted the sleeve because it was (in my opinion), a neat operation with everything tidily finished off and no odd bits of my insides hanging loose. Also the removal of my stomach should help with reducing the production of ghrelin, which should help with appetite issues. If I had been selected for the band, I would probably have withdrawn because I think my weight loss needs more help.

I am on the By-Band-Sleeve study and agree with what you say above. However, I think it is a good thing that they do the research, and because it said very clearly that you could withdraw at any time, I went ahead at least as far as learning what surgery I would be allocated. I was given the sleeve, which was my choice anyway so I am very happy with things. I wanted the sleeve because it was (in my opinion), a neat operation with everything tidily finished off and no odd bits of my insides hanging loose. Also the removal of my stomach should help with reducing the production of ghrelin, which should help with appetite issues. If I had been selected for the band, I would probably have withdrawn because I think my weight loss needs more help.
Yes, I certainly agree they should do the research and it helped to have the opportunity to find out more. I am the same as you in that I wouldn't have wanted the others for the reasons you have given. I was drawn to the sleeve before I had the interview and the consultant appointment anyway and had reached the point where I wasn't going to go any further with the study anyway, even if I had the choice.

What was worrying though, was that as I only know I have hernias from a CT scan 4 years ago, and they never bother me, I tend to forget to mention them when asking for past medical history, given I have had so many bits removed already, and at no point has anyone taken a scan to see what is going on inside my body before operating. If I had wanted a bypass and hadn't mentioned them, then I may have got as far as the operating table before they realised they couldn't have done it!

Having read some successful sleeve stories on here, plus seeing those who have had bands now converting, I am convinced at this point in time I have made the right decision.

Well, my ADCAL has turned up! Pharmacy rang me back this afternoon to say they would put it in the post.

Two hours later I get a phone call from a taxi trying to find me, they had driven 43 miles from Leeds to deliver it. Goodness knows what that cost :rant: No wonder we are short of nurses... Given it wasn't a major medication, only a vitamin supplement, I am sure 1st class Royal Mail would have done!!!

Yes, I certainly agree they should do the research and it helped to have the opportunity to find out more. I am the same as you in that I wouldn't have wanted the others for the reasons you have given. I was drawn to the sleeve before I had the interview and the consultant appointment anyway and had reached the point where I wasn't going to go any further with the study anyway, even if I had the choice.

What was worrying though, was that as I only know I have hernias from a CT scan 4 years ago, and they never bother me, I tend to forget to mention them when asking for past medical history, given I have had so many bits removed already, and at no point has anyone taken a scan to see what is going on inside my body before operating. If I had wanted a bypass and hadn't mentioned them, then I may have got as far as the operating table before they realised they couldn't have done it!

Having read some successful sleeve stories on here, plus seeing those who have had bands now converting, I am convinced at this point in time I have made the right decision.
When I met the surgeon on the day of surgery, one of the things he said to me was that if he had to repair a hiatus hernia he would have to convert from keyhole surgery to open surgery. I had no idea if I had a hiatus hernia or not, and that gave me quite a shock! Also, when I started trying to lose weight 4/5 years ago I had a huge tight round painful stomach. As I lost weight (down to 19 st) I discovered a large swelling around my belly button. My GP confirmed that it was an umbilical hernia. But no one at the hospital even looked at my stomach until I was in theatre. I didn't want to say anything because I was really anxious they would cancel everything, but even though I told them, no one looked at me. I had no scans or anything. Nearly all my weight is on my stomach, and a little part of me did wonder if I would wake up with no op done because they had found another cause for my swollen tummy - you know - like a huge cyst or something! It felt as though I was on an escalator to the op and nothing could stop it. That it was all or nothing. Either keep quiet and go on the pathway, or jump off with no alternatives in between.

So, I should be in hospital having my bypass right now. :(. I really hope that everything will go as planned on Tuesday - my fear is that it will be cancelled as it is NHS and deemed 'elective' (which deserves a rant - but that's for another time).
I know we only hear about the bad news stories on cancellations and rarely do people shout 'hey my surgery went on time', the presumption being that they mainly do. But still, until I am on the table with the gown on and plastic mask heading to my nose, I'm still fearful that it will be cancelled/ postponed.
please everyone pray for me/ send me good luck vibes/ do a rain dance - whatever - on Tuesday so my surgery goes ahead.

So, I should be in hospital having my bypass right now. :(. I really hope that everything will go as planned on Tuesday - my fear is that it will be cancelled as it is NHS and deemed 'elective' (which deserves a rant - but that's for another time).
I know we only hear about the bad news stories on cancellations and rarely do people shout 'hey my surgery went on time', the presumption being that they mainly do. But still, until I am on the table with the gown on and plastic mask heading to my nose, I'm still fearful that it will be cancelled/ postponed.
please everyone pray for me/ send me good luck vibes/ do a rain dance - whatever - on Tuesday so my surgery goes ahead.
Good luck! I was convinced mine would be cancelled until the minute I set off for theatres, but in the event all went smoothly. When it was cancelled before it seems it was due to an exceptionally bad road accident on the M6 which led to all the beds being taken. An unusual situation and probably not likely to happen often.

Well, I am out and on the other side. Home after two days.

It was a very mixed experience with some great care from doctors, but some rubbish care from nurses.

Surgery went better than I expected and I don't feel as ill as i thought I might.

Still woolly head from aneasthetic and sore from drain.

Have managed on sips of water with no problem and an Upbeat protein drink this morning with no discomfort.

Getting my regular meds in liquid for has been and still is a challenge, and getting my head around what I do with each one. Have soluble paracetamol and dissolved it in a cup of water before realising it would take forever for me to drink it, both from a volume point of view and that it is fizzy so I have to wait until it goes flat. Also have liquid ibuprofen but it is a children's one so no instructions on what to take as an adult. :(

District Nurse due to come to show me how to inject myself with blood thinning drug whose name I can't remember.

Hope others from Monday surgery have done well x
Ask go for adult strength liquid paracetamol, no need to dilute and not fizzy, good luck X

When I met the surgeon on the day of surgery, one of the things he said to me was that if he had to repair a hiatus hernia he would have to convert from keyhole surgery to open surgery. I had no idea if I had a hiatus hernia or not, and that gave me quite a shock! Also, when I started trying to lose weight 4/5 years ago I had a huge tight round painful stomach. As I lost weight (down to 19 st) I discovered a large swelling around my belly button. My GP confirmed that it was an umbilical hernia. But no one at the hospital even looked at my stomach until I was in theatre. I didn't want to say anything because I was really anxious they would cancel everything, but even though I told them, no one looked at me. I had no scans or anything. Nearly all my weight is on my stomach, and a little part of me did wonder if I would wake up with no op done because they had found another cause for my swollen tummy - you know - like a huge cyst or something! It felt as though I was on an escalator to the op and nothing could stop it. That it was all or nothing. Either keep quiet and go on the pathway, or jump off with no alternatives in between.
One of mine is an umbilical, and like the other one near my appendix scar, a legacy of past surgery - gall bladder, and an attempt to key hole my appendix, and I was told they wouldn't repair it whilst doing the surgery. When they were found 4 years ago I was asked if i wanted surgery, but I said no, as they weren't bothering me. My consultant at my first appointment felt it (I can't) and said it was quite large, this time he struggled to find it when I reminded him it was there! I have a friend who has just developed an umbilical, has been told to stop swimming and is waiting to have surgery.

Like so many other things about WLS, what happens is down to the individual surgeons preferences.

Keeping everything crossed for you @Rose2016 x

@Rose2016 My fingers are crossed for you.

Had some green oozing from my wound today on my dressing. Nurse has just been and changed dressing and wound itself looks ok. They are going to monitor it again tomorrow. Temperature was normal but then I had not long had some paracetamol for pain, which has been worse today. Will probably end up with the dreaded antibiotics. I can't remember when a surgery hasn't produced an infection of some sort. :badmood:

Asked for my blood pressure to be taken to check how it was since leaving hospital so I could regulate medication as it was up and down in hospital and I wasn't on it over that period. Should have been checked first day they came along with other obs, as well as sticking a needle in me! Nurse didn't carry a large cuff so that is going to have to wait until tomorrow as well. She did take temperature which was slightly under which would have been a good indication of infection or not had I not long had the paracetamol.

Had some green oozing from my wound today on my dressing. Nurse has just been and changed dressing and wound itself looks ok. They are going to monitor it again tomorrow. Temperature was normal but then I had not long had some paracetamol for pain, which has been worse today. Will probably end up with the dreaded antibiotics. I can't remember when a surgery hasn't produced an infection of some sort. :badmood:

Asked for my blood pressure to be taken to check how it was since leaving hospital so I could regulate medication as it was up and down in hospital and I wasn't on it over that period. Should have been checked first day they came along with other obs, as well as sticking a needle in me! Nurse didn't carry a large cuff so that is going to have to wait until tomorrow as well. She did take temperature which was slightly under which would have been a good indication of infection or not had I not long had the paracetamol.

Oh dear - you are having a rough time. I hope you don't get an infection - that was one of my main worries when they catheterised me but I seem to have come off ok from that. My wounds seem to have been fastened with glue and already appear to be well on the way to healing. I feel extraordinarily lucky.

Oh dear - you are having a rough time. I hope you don't get an infection - that was one of my main worries when they catheterised me but I seem to have come off ok from that. My wounds seem to have been fastened with glue and already appear to be well on the way to healing. I feel extraordinarily lucky.
Glad its going well> Mine are glue too and look ok. Had a reaction to the dressing they put on me when they took the drain out so have developed a sore and its very itchy, but hopefully the new dressing which is different will be better and the sore is now exposed so should heal quickly. Other wounds/dressings put on at time of surgery seem to be fine, and I had to look in the mirror when I first went to the loo to see where they were as I felt no discomfort from them.

How are you doing with pain?

Glad its going well> Mine are glue too and look ok. Had a reaction to the dressing they put on me when they took the drain out so have developed a sore and its very itchy, but hopefully the new dressing which is different will be better and the sore is now exposed so should heal quickly. Other wounds/dressings put on at time of surgery seem to be fine, and I had to look in the mirror when I first went to the loo to see where they were as I felt no discomfort from them.

How are you doing with pain?
I have no dressings now - took the last one off on Thursday morning. No pain as a general rule, but when I drink cold drinks my stomach spasms, and that can be quite painful. Warm drinks and soup are much better. First of all every sip brought that reaction, but it is getting much less intense now, as long as I don't gulp or have something straight from the fridge. it's just as well really, since the co-codamol really upset my stomach and made me retch, so I have not taken any since Tuesday.

I still can't drink cold drinks .....
Hot drinks like tea and coffee go down a treat tho ..x

Back