• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

Well, another frustrating anxious day around my leaking wound!

Temperature still down fortunately and not yet on the antibiotics, but no nurse turned up this morning to take a swab as communication broke down and they thought I was on them so therefore it didn't need doing. Nurse wrote up correct notes last night but notes stay in my house, and who knows what is put on my record once she leaves! No expected doctor turned up/rang today as promised last Thursday. Nurse came this evening to do injection and was surprised I wasn't on antibiotics, and was surprised that out of hours doctor yesterday was happy for me to not start them unless i had a temperature. Still got a yellow leak. Put the fear of God up me as she was saying that being a drain wound it was very deep and she thought I should be on them given she had seen the green ooze. Didn't take temperature. Supposedly coming back in morning to do swab which will take 2-3 days to get result anyway.

Apologised for the confusion.

Rang surgery after she left to chase a prescription and to find out if my GP had read my notes from yesterday given I hadn't heard from him. A message was left for him to ring me, but a different GP rang whom i have never seen before as she was sharing his 'on call' load as it had been a manic day. Had to explain everything to her all over again, and that as someone suffering from anxiety who lived on her own, this wasn't helping, and please could someone reassure me as to what I should be doing. She too decided that I didn't need to take the antibiotics without a temperature, but would put me on tomorrow's visiting list, and would get a swab done if nurse hadn't turned up.

In the meantime whilst waiting for Doc to call I went and had a shower now that my non-waterproof dressing from visit to out of hours yesterday had been changed. It hadn't been put on properly so leaked and I was left with a soaking wet dressing. No more dressings left so got district nurse paged, took off wet dressing to avoid a moist breeding ground for any potential bugs, and sat with swabs held on for an hour until nurse returned to redress it. She then proceeded to put on the same type of non waterproof dressing that she had taken off earlier, and i had said was causing me itching - two types now I have reacted to, so that had to come off and be replaced with a waterproof non itchy one. She also brought the thermometer in unasked and my temperature was normal.

Asked her to check that the prescription for more dressings requested by last night's nurse to be checked that they are the right type.

Missing prescription from last Thursday has now been located and is in the basket to go to the chemist.

This is the day after it is announced that the NHS has reached crisis point! They are not wrong!!!! Most of the problems I have experienced this past week have been down to lack of communication between so many professionals and staff not having the time to do the job properly because of their workloads.

Hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly. :)

On the plus side I did get an unexpected visitor with an orchid, plus a flower delivery from an unexpected source, so that has cheered me up a bit. :D

@Rose2016 everything crossed and double crossed where possible. Let us know how you are when you can.
@Mazza before now people have told me these things are sent to try us. Don't worry, I punched those people for both of us. You'll be one massive step closer soon and I hope that when the weight drops off you, you somehow get bumped right up the list x

@SAM55 bless you for finding something positive in all that. I've ended up having to try and organise a lot of medical professionals before and its as easy as herding cats! Plus the last thing you need after major surgery. I love the NHS, it's saved my life on 2 occasions but I've also had to stop them giving me potentially life threatening drugs a couple of times too because people didn't communicate properly. It's stressful and as you say, when you're alone and dealing with anxiety on top it's not what you need at all.

Hopefully the oozing will get bored and bugger off now and you can get on with healing x

@SAM55 sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare time! Hope they get the medication and dressings sorted for you.

I also had two of my wounds that were leaking green stuff under the glue to start with and then it leaked out. I went back for a wound check and they put iodine soaked gauze on them under a dressing for a few days. Then they said as long as the area around the wound wasn't looking red/inflamed they were not too worried. They reckoned that my body was trying to reject the stitch - apparently underneath the skin there is a dissolvable stitch (it just feels like a lump under the skin) and they put the glue is put on top of the stitch. that wouldn't surprise me knowing my body! Anyway, they have both dried up now, one looks neater than the other! I caught the scab/glue with the towel after my shower the other day, so it pulled it off earlier than it should! Ouch!

So I hope that your wounds improve and that you don't need to take antibiotics after all!

@Rose2016 really hope it goes ok for you tomorrow. All the best and see you on the losers bench!

Good morning - new day/ new me.

See you guys on the other side, on the losers bench.

@SAM55 sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare time! Hope they get the medication and dressings sorted for you.

I also had two of my wounds that were leaking green stuff under the glue to start with and then it leaked out. I went back for a wound check and they put iodine soaked gauze on them under a dressing for a few days. Then they said as long as the area around the wound wasn't looking red/inflamed they were not too worried. They reckoned that my body was trying to reject the stitch - apparently underneath the skin there is a dissolvable stitch (it just feels like a lump under the skin) and they put the glue is put on top of the stitch. that wouldn't surprise me knowing my body! Anyway, they have both dried up now, one looks neater than the other! I caught the scab/glue with the towel after my shower the other day, so it pulled it off earlier than it should! Ouch!

So I hope that your wounds improve and that you don't need to take antibiotics after all!
Thanks Hannah. You have made me feel a lot better. :) I will show this to the nurse if that's ok?

Ok, so I am packing now. Didn't want to before as I felt it could jinx everything.
For those who pray - please pray for me that everything goes as planned tomorrow.
For those who don't pray, cross you fingers, toes and belly button
Praying for you xxx.

@SAM55 how are your wounds today? How did you get on with your nurse? Hope they are healing now.

Back