• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

Has anyone managed coughing or sneezing... been holding my wounds but yesterday sneezed and thought I had been stabbed :( hope it's not done too much damage. Any ideas when normal sneezing can resume hahaha??
I have sneezed a lot and just hold my stomach when I feel it coming. I have found no adverse side affects fortunately.

Can we have runny scrambled egg at purée stage?
In the Nutrition and Diet Resources booklet Sleeve Gastrectomy Dietary Information I was given by my dietician, one very soft cooked scrambled egg is listed in stage 2 for for any meal. Haven't tried it yet because of the constipation

Stage three you can have a soft plain omellete or a soft-boiled/poached egg.

Just to let everyone know I came home today. My operation went really well and so far I'm feeling okay, just very tired at the moment.
Hopefully a good sleep in my own bed will help that, and I'll be back tomorrow to catch up with you all and do a more detailed update.
Thank you for all the good wishes. Now budge up that losers bench!
Glad it went well. Looking forward to the catch-up. Take care x

One cut is v sore but not infected just deep. I changed the dressing yesterday and nearly puked but I'm such a woose
Did you have a drain? My drain site was very deep and sore and took a long time to heal. Dressing has finally come off today two and a half weeks later. :)

No drain and only four cuts. I got off lucky

Co
Just to let everyone know I came home today. My operation went really well and so far I'm feeling okay, just very tired at the moment.
Hopefully a good sleep in my own bed will help that, and I'll be back tomorrow to catch up with you all and do a more detailed update.
Thank you for all the good wishes. Now budge up that losers bench!

Congratulations xxx

Thank you again, everyone!

Get plenty of rest and when you feel up to it, would be great to hear all about it xx

I've just posted in my diary, but summing up, things are going okay so far.

I'm starting to catch up on here and am glad to see everyone is doing well. I can relate to feeling scared of food. Our new stomachs seem so tiny and delicate it feels weird to actually put anything in them beyond liquid.
Sunderland put you straight onto purée, and that first bowl of porridge the day after my op was daunting.

Anyone know how long it takes to stop feeling so bloody tired? I'm utterly exhausted!!!

On a good note though, day two of purees, I'm loving food! Still scared, but tasting real food is amazing!

Had my first public outing since surgery which was a large dinner party. No where to hide so I ate some mozzarella and quiche (leaving the pastry) - went down well as I'd chewed it to death. Think I got away with it . There were more comments about my not drinking than not eating and I often don't drink so in all I'm putting that down as a successful outing.

Relieved as I did feel that there was a floating flashing arrow above my head Screaming 'weight loss surgery' but there's not - we can do this !!!

Anyone know how long it takes to stop feeling so bloody tired? I'm utterly exhausted!!!

I'd like to know that too, though know I'm getting ahead of myself as usual considering I'm only days post op.

Glad you're enjoying some real food.

Relieved as I did feel that there was a floating flashing arrow above my head Screaming 'weight loss surgery' but there's not - we can do this !!!

Yes we can! You did so well. Did it feel good to be out and about?

I am on the By-Band-Sleeve study and agree with what you say above. However, I think it is a good thing that they do the research, and because it said very clearly that you could withdraw at any time, I went ahead at least as far as learning what surgery I would be allocated. I was given the sleeve, which was my choice anyway so I am very happy with things. I wanted the sleeve because it was (in my opinion), a neat operation with everything tidily finished off and no odd bits of my insides hanging loose. Also the removal of my stomach should help with reducing the production of ghrelin, which should help with appetite issues. If I had been selected for the band, I would probably have withdrawn because I think my weight loss needs more help.

I'm in the study too. I liked not having the option, as prior to enrolling on the study, I didn't know which op I wanted!

Anyone who is having blood thinning injections please can you tell me what you are having and what dose please?

Feeling anxious as a more senior district nurse has come out tonight (she has been twice before to do my Tinzaparin(innohep) injection) to show me what to do. I queried that she didn't check the dose 03.5 7,000 units as she was going to put it all in 0.4ml, 8,000 units as everyone else, including the hospital, have checked the amount which is less than the syringe holds and discharged it and any surrounding air. She says the amount it isn't an exact science and there will always be a little bit of air.

Having looked at the package leaflet it says do not exceed the dose given by the doctor
I want to see if we are on different doses so i have some info before I check with a doctor tomorrow please. Thanks

I was prescribed less than the syringe - was told to inject the full one and not bother about discharging anything, said it would do no harm. I bruised like **** with the things though. I can't remember the dose now, but was definitely less than the syringe. The hospital discharged the excess too.

I'm in the study too. I liked not having the option, as prior to enrolling on the study, I didn't know which op I wanted!

I was prescribed less than the syringe - was told to inject the full one and not bother about discharging anything, said it would do no harm. I bruised like **** with the things though. I can't remember the dose now, but was definitely less than the syringe. The hospital discharged the excess too.
I managed to crack the dose for the first time yesterday at long last. All it needed was a clear brain and a couple of patient nurses who understood what I was struggling with. Some days I have bruises and some I don't. Struggling to reach different points each time though and not brilliant doing it left handed.

Had to go to bed for three hours today. But did manage a creamy scrambled egg (singular!).

Anyone else got a horrid white coated tongue?

I get that coating!!! Think it's not quite enough water and mouth not processing the usual amount of food that might usually scrape it off???? Hopefully it will go as we balance everything out. I got a tounge brush... looks like a little sea anemone stuck on a tooth brush haha !!

I managed to crack the dose for the first time yesterday at long last. All it needed was a clear brain and a couple of patient nurses who understood what I was struggling with. Some days I have bruises and some I don't. Struggling to reach different points each time though and not brilliant doing it left handed.
Didn't do so well with injection today as I managed to miss the subcutaneous fat in my leg and hit a muscle as I tried to avoid a previous site - with fat legs it all looks the same. A little bit of blood, some pain as it went in and now have a painful lump. :(

@SAM55 - oh sounds painful

Back