• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

September 2016 Surgeries

I'm seeing the gp on Friday as there is a lot of string hanging out of three of my cuts which are red and itchy but I don't think infected.
I too have started driving and no problems at all.

Still absolutely exhausted and can't imagine getting through a day without a nap. How on earth am I going to cope when I go back to work? I do love my job, but am def not up to it. V impressed with those ladies whose back so quickly.
Mine were red an itchy too, that's normal as the skin heals. Have had it with all my surgeries.

I had keyhole gallbladder surgery once and the guidlelines said could go back to work after 2 weeks if a light job and I felt well enough. I ended up with 6 weeks off like I had with a full cut for something else. The body still needs to heal no matter how small the cuts are and to recover from the anaesthetic, plus we have to remember we are not getting the nutrition we had. Do you know how your iron levels are? I thought I would need to sleep a lot but have been surprised I have rarely needed a daytime nap. (pre-op diabeties often dictated i did). Only real day time in bed was when my UTI started.

Grrr its so annoying, sorry to go on folks!!

The doctor doing the rounds at the hospital on Saturday afternoon did the sick note (not in front of me) but it was from 15th to 29th September. To be fair I did ask for two weeks and I do feel ok (ish). Its only 12 weeks til xmas too!

I can't see a doctor until 21st October, I called in to try and get an appointment and to sort out my prescription. I don't need a prescription review as I saw a doctor who reviewed my meds and took my blood pressure in June (booked at the end of April), they just haven't updated my records to show this but the receptionist decided to pull my repeat prescription on this basis.

There are more GPs around its just finding the right one and the time to sort it out

Good lord - change your doctor. Having a good doctor makes everything so much easier and less stressful. I imagine you are faithful to someone you've been going to for years but this service just doesn't work for someone who needs quick help and needs to juggle life/work and an illness.

Grrr its so annoying, sorry to go on folks!!

The doctor doing the rounds at the hospital on Saturday afternoon did the sick note (not in front of me) but it was from 15th to 29th September. To be fair I did ask for two weeks and I do feel ok (ish). Its only 12 weeks til xmas too!

I can't see a doctor until 21st October, I called in to try and get an appointment and to sort out my prescription. I don't need a prescription review as I saw a doctor who reviewed my meds and took my blood pressure in June (booked at the end of April), they just haven't updated my records to show this but the receptionist decided to pull my repeat prescription on this basis.

There are more GPs around its just finding the right one and the time to sort it out
Try PALS to see if they can advocate for you http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1082.aspx?CategoryID=68

We can phone to request a fit note extension, can you not request over the phone? Or go and ask the receptionist? Do they not have emergency appointments available on the day? If we phone at 8.30am we can usually get an appointment and then we have a "sit and wait" Surgery in the evening as well. Do you have a walk in centre in your area? They might be able to help. Hope you can get something sorted.

Erm no I can't and I did go in rather than phone as I know what they will and won't do. Yes you can phone and get an emergency appointment on the day BUT only if the receptionist thinks its an emergency then the nurse has to triage first.

I'm back at work now anyway. I'm working at home today but I'm away all next week, after my boss telling me yesterday I would just be away Monday to Wednesday to ease me back in!

Oh well, I need to look for a new job and a new GP. Fed up of juggling everything now :mad:

I'm not surprised you're fed up :(

Erm no I can't and I did go in rather than phone as I know what they will and won't do. Yes you can phone and get an emergency appointment on the day BUT only if the receptionist thinks its an emergency then the nurse has to triage first.

I'm back at work now anyway. I'm working at home today but I'm away all next week, after my boss telling me yesterday I would just be away Monday to Wednesday to ease me back in!

Oh well, I need to look for a new job and a new GP. Fed up of juggling everything now :mad:

I know you said that nurses triage, but just when did the receptionist get their medical degree in order to decide what needs to be triaged and what doesn't?! This makes me mad. I'd be looking for a new GP...

I needa new job too. Good luck to us both!

I know right, they are so bloomin rude and when you do actually see a doctor and tell them - they're so shocked!

Yes good luck to you too :D

Reading all that I'm not surprised you're fed up @Mazza

I can't believe it's October now. Where did September go? But it looks like all us September people are doing okay/well. So here's to more months under our belts and looking and feeling fabulous.

Hi fellow October losers. Is anyone else still napping during the day?

Phew

I don't nap during the day but haven't managed a bedtime later than 9 since my op.

Does anyone else actually have a problem getting food down? I'm never hungry so I force myself to eat but it literally is 5-8 20p sizes and I can't eat anymore and only managing 3 times a day. Guide says to eat more

Is this normal

I think it's different for everyone. First few days I struggled with anything but had two weeks of sipping shakes starting 50 mil an hour and working up to 150 ml. Then 4 shakes a day with a clear soup snd mini yoghurt before moving onto food. I managing 15 tsp of pureed meals bit still use shakes too as it's hard work getting food in and I get really tired. By end of week I hope to have worked up to 6 tablespoons. It's just taking it slowly. It still takes me 30 min for each drink or meal but I keep going with gaps between mouthfuls aiming for targets set for me... every dietician is different and everyone is.... just keep at it and you will work out what's managable for you :) I still have a week and half of purees before introdicing soft foods (2 weeks) then introducing normals.... feels like learning to eat again!

Last edited:
@milliemollymandi1234 - sounds like you may need to add in a protein shake to keep getting enough sustenance . If you don't eat enough you'll get grumpy, tired and your body goes into emergency mode and you don't lose weight.

My weight loss has stalled and it's putting me on such a downer I lost 2 stone from starting the lrd to 3 weeks post op which was great. But since I hit the 2 stone lost mark it's stopped. Ive been hovering 2lbs either way from that weight for nearly a week. I know that the 2 stone is great, and didn't expect to keeping losing at that rate, but I thought I'd lose something

I feel like I'm eating enough- a couple breakfast biscuits or weetabix protein with a coffee for brekkie, good bowl of homemade soup at lunch, a small fromage fraise or actimel drink mid-late afternoon if I'm hungry, and then a mashed up dinner-fish pie/casserole/something like that. Before I go to bed I might then have a petite filous to top me up for the night. Throughout the day I probably have 2-4 cups of tea or coffe (1 sweetener, NO sugar since the unfortunate milkshake dumping incident a couple of weeks ago), and lots of water.

So I really do think I'm taking enough in, I want to exercise, but I'm still achey down the left side,so joining the gym later this month. Although I am still fairly active with work and horses etc.

It's just really got to me this last few days, especially after that initial high of losing ☹️

I seem to remember you can stall 3 weeks post op while your liver recoups what it lost during the LRD? Sorry I can't be more specific, hopefully someone with a less sieve like memory can help but keep going, sometimes nothing happens for a bit and then you loose a decent amount all at once x

I'm in exactly the same position. I lost just over two stones since LRD but nothing for two weeks.
BUT I'm not weighing myself anymore as I'm getting down and fixated on the scales.
I'm only going to weigh in once a week. And if I can I'll hold back to my post op review.

Back