• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Walsall Manor Posse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello lovely peeps. Well, this could be interesting as Natalie followed me immediately after, so it'll be interesting to see if we experienced or were told the same things!

I was late arriving, having been held up on the UK's second largest car park - M5/M6 - but my good friend Pauline rang Tracey Lowe to explain and she in turn rang the Easibook suite to forewarn them. Fortunately I found a parking space straightaway so was in essence only 15 mins late, but as I am a stickler for punctuality, that stressed me a little.

First I saw a nurse who weighed me (I have lost 5lbs since November - like, how?), measured my height, did my BP & tested my wee. We had a laugh as she explained how many different receptacles she's had wee presented to her in!

She then did my ECG and swabbed me for MRSA. She used a long cotton bud type stick and run one just round the inner rim of my nostrils (one swab for each) and another two swabs from each groin.

I was then sent to see another nurse who basically asked me my medical history - have I had any ops before, have I ever had heart attack and so on and so forth.

She asked me if I snore. Yes, I do :( Do I wake up with a start, short of breath. No, I don't. :)

She took 5 vials of blood from me; she wanted to check me for diabetes and then I had the opportunity to ask questions.

I asked if my results would be back in time for Tuesday (my anaesthetist appointment). Yep, by Monday. Then my friend asked when I'd know my date. She said that Mr. Youssef would go through the pros and cons of the op and if he was happy with my results, he would write to Mr. Khan who would then ask for Karonica Hamilton to put me on the waiting list. :eek: I commented that the system seems to differ from patient to patient at WM and she said people's circs are different.

I asked her if she thought Bariatric surgery was any riskier than any other type of surgery. She said that only in that my body has different needs to that of say, a size 12 frame. It is an elective procedure and all along the way there will be considerations and any adjustments made.

I went for my breathing test. :(:(:(:(

I saw Natalie on my way out, she was waiting to go in. So a quick 'Hi and goodl luck!' to Natalie and I went over to the CMU (Clinical Measurement Unit) in the West Wing. You walk past Wards 11 & 12 to get to the CMU by the way.

So, after a very short wait, I was called into the room for my test.

The woman explained what was going to happen. Basically like an asthmatic peak flow test but into a big mofo machine (she didn't say that bit, that was my impression of it).

I have always been totally rubbish at peak flow. Even my asthmatic daughter can score higher than me. I smoked 60 a day in the early 80s and it fooked my lung capacity big stylee.

Anyway, she attached this blue mouthpiece into the end of the machine. It had flanges that you bit on and then an oval bit you put your lips round to make a seal. A bit like a gum shield.

I had to then breathe in and out of my mouth a few times, which is hard for me 'cos I am a nose breather. It made me laugh at first because the machine wheezes!

Then she says 'Deep breath now' and I had to breathe in sharp and deep then expel it as hard and long as I can, while she says 'Come on, blow, blow, push, push, push...!' It was so difficult for me. I started coughing halfway through.

I was rubbish. I had to do it four times because my readings were varying and I swear I blacked out for a nano second. My head felt like it was going to explode. I went dizzy and had to keep my eyes closed.

I am a tough old biddy and not usually bothered by hospitals and treatments, but I can only imagine that my experience felt what it must be like to throttle to death. My head and face was burning and I could hear my heartbeat in my ears.

I knew I wasn't doing brilliantly and asked her if I was rubbish. She said that she is not allowed to discuss the test results with me.

After that, I sat down again for a bit because I felt very giddy. I had to take my results back to the Easibook suite, where they are filed ready for the anaesthetist appointment.

I then went and sought out a cup of tea and a sit down because I still felt giddy and a little low to be honest.

I did read my respiratory notes on the way back to Easibook and told two of my Minis friends what had happened. As brilliant as ever, they got me through the bumpy 1/2 hour (you know who you are!), one even researched on t'internet what I didn't understand. Thank you gals! :hug99:

I am kind of worried that I will get knocked back, but then as my friend told me, there have been people much larger than I that have been opped at WM, so I must keep calm. I will, I will.

I only have 'til Tuesday to find out anyway.

Last edited:
Glad all went ok Red sounds exactly what I had to do I am a nose breather aswell lol and I found the breath test weird but she said it got better after the 5th go. So fingers crossed you will be fine

red, Mr Youseff is lovely and will answer any questions you may have, please try not to worry I know its easier said than done, as I am the worlds worst waiter, at least you only have 4 days to wait. They must see people with all sorts of lft results. Its just he can be prepared and nothing unexpected happens. Heres hoping you get a date round about or even the same as mine, you can help keep me sane. Chin up and will speak to you soon. xXx

Hello lovely peeps. Well, this could be interesting as Natalie followed me immediately after, so it'll be interesting to see if we experienced or were told the same things!

I was late arriving, having been held up on the UK's second largest car park - M5/M6 - but my good friend Pauline rang Tracey Lowe to explain and she in turn rang the Easibook suite to forewarn them. Fortunately I found a parking space straightaway so was in essence only 15 mins late, but as I am a stickler for punctuality, that stressed me a little.

First I saw a nurse who weighed me (I have lost 5lbs since November - like, how?), measured my height, did my BP & tested my wee. We had a laugh as she explained how many different receptacles she's had wee presented to her in!

She then did my ECG and swabbed me for MRSA. She used a long cotton bud type stick and run one just round the inner rim of my nostrils (one swab for each) and another two swabs from each groin.

I was then sent to see another nurse who basically asked me my medical history - have I had any ops before, have I ever had heart attack and so on and so forth.

She asked me if I snore. Yes, I do :( Do I wake up with a start, short of breath. No, I don't. :)

She took 5 vials of blood from me; she wanted to check me for diabetes and then I had the opportunity to ask questions.

I asked if my results would be back in time for Tuesday (my anaesthetist appointment). Yep, by Monday. Then my friend asked when I'd know my date. She said that Mr. Youssef would go through the pros and cons of the op and if he was happy with my results, he would write to Mr. Khan who would then ask for Karonica Hamilton to put me on the waiting list. :eek: I commented that the system seems to differ from patient to patient at WM and she said people's circs are different.

I asked her if she thought Bariatric surgery was any riskier than any other type of surgery. She said that only in that my body has different needs to that of say, a size 12 frame. It is an elective procedure and all along the way there will be considerations and any adjustments made.

I saw Natalie on my way out, she was waiting to go in. So a quick 'Hi and goodl luck!' to Natalie and I went over to the CMU (Clinical Measurement Unit) in the West Wing. You walk past Wards 11 & 12 to get to the CMU by the way.

The woman explained what was going to happen. Basically like an asthmatic peak flow test but into a big mofo machine (she didn't say that bit, that was my impression of it).

I have always been totally rubbish at peak flow. Even my asthmatic daughter can score higher than me. I smoked 60 a day in the early 80s and it fooked my lung capacity big stylee.

Anyway, she attached this blue mouthpiece into the end of the machine. It had flanges that you bit on and then an oval bit you put your lips round to make a seal. A bit like a gum shield.

I had to then breathe in and out of my mouth a few times, which is hard for me 'cos I am a nose breather. It made me laugh at first because the machine wheezes!

Then she says 'Deep breath now' and I had to breathe in sharp and deep then expel it as hard and long as I can, while she says 'Come on, blow, blow, push, push, push...!' It was so difficult for me. I started coughing halfway through.

I was rubbish. I had to do it four times because my readings were varying and I swear I blacked out for a nano second. My head felt like it was going to explode. I went dizzy and had to keep my eyes closed.

I am a tough old biddy and not usually bothered by hospitals and treatments, but I can only imagine that my experience felt what it must be like to throttle to death. My head and face was burning and I could hear my heartbeat in my ears.

I knew I wasn't doing brilliantly and asked her if I was rubbish. She said that she is not allowed to discuss the test results with me.

After that, I sat down again for a bit because I felt very giddy. I had to take my results back to the Easibook suite, where they are filed ready for the anaesthetist appointment.

I then went and sought out a cup of tea and a sit down because I still felt giddy and a little low to be honest.

I did read my respiratory notes on the way back to Easibook and told two of my Minis friends what had happened. As brilliant as ever, they got me through the bumpy 1/2 hour (you know who you are!), one even researched on t'internet what I didn't understand. Thank you gals! :hug99:

I am kind of worried that I will get knocked back, but then as my friend told me, there have been people much larger than I that have been opped at WM, so I must keep calm. I will, I will.

Red,
What a brilliant post!!!
Even if procedures differ slightly, I'm sure the content will be the same. Thank You for such good information.
You will become a rival for Sam, as Information Guru!
Hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. xx

Brilliant post Red, V informative and gives us pre oppers an idea of what to expect.

Red,
What a brilliant post!!!
Even if procedures differ slightly, I'm sure the content will be the same. Thank You for such good information.
You will become a rival for Sam, as Information Guru!
Hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. xx

Lol Sue, Im no Guru.

Im good thanks Sue. And the baby is scrumptious xx

hello everyone, am feeling a bit brighter today, sorry I have been a total numpty over the last couple of days, Hope I haven't upset anyone if i've been a bit sharp, and thanks for all the kind messages and the concern. Back seems to be a bit more stable, have found the right cocktail of drugs to sort out a good sleep which seems to be helping.

Once again a big thank you all am not a very good patient and don't do pain at all well lol good help everyone after my op hehe. Will be back to my old self really soon. xXx

hello everyone, am feeling a bit brighter today, sorry I have been a total numpty over the last couple of days, Hope I haven't upset anyone if i've been a bit sharp, and thanks for all the kind messages and the concern. Back seems to be a bit more stable, have found the right cocktail of drugs to sort out a good sleep which seems to be helping.

Once again a big thank you all am not a very good patient and don't do pain at all well lol good help everyone after my op hehe. Will be back to my old self really soon. xXx

Glad you're feeling better, Tes. x

Lovely to have you back on form Terri. Ive missed you :eek:

Teri, after the op I am going to personally IV you some Cheeky Vimto to keep your spirits up...

LOL Red,

us girls need another night out on the cheeky vimto just as soon as Terri's back is up to it.

well what can i say after that you covered everything but like u said everyone is different. i myself didn't feel funny after the breathing test though i was worried i might but i did get a telling off by the two nurses and receptionist for using the hibiscrub i felt so ashamed i told the nurse that i had been using it and she said i shouldnt use that even in theatre there going to stop using it then she told the receptionist and the nurse that does the medical history i was so embarrased but thats it really oh and the nurse was really lovely that we had we couldnt stop laughing from start to finish she is going to have a gastric bypass in april. oh i have lost 2 kilo since last friday so i am chuffed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back