• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best and worst bits about having had the sleeve!

HoPe*87*

I'm now 5 months post sleeve!! 5 stone gone :) at the start of my journey I was 18 stone 9 the day of my op I was 16 stone and today I'm 11 stone my bmi has gone from 40 to 24!! My sleeve has changed my life in so many ways I'm so pleased I had the sleeve and would do it all again :) how's everyone getting on?? Xx

ceejay

I'm now 5 months post sleeve!! 5 stone gone :) at the start of my journey I was 18 stone 9 the day of my op I was 16 stone and today I'm 11 stone my bmi has gone from 40 to 24!! My sleeve has changed my life in so many ways I'm so pleased I had the sleeve and would do it all again :) how's everyone getting on?? Xx

Hi Hope. I see you're from my neck of the woods... Did you have your op at SRH?
How long were you in for?
Any tips/advice on what I need to take? Or anything else...
Sorry for the third degree, but I had a call Monday evening to go this Friday for my op Saturday. I haven't seen anyone since March and wasn't expecting it so I'm a bag of nerves and feel like I'm running about like a headless chicken....
Thanks and well done on your weightloss to date.

HoPe*87*

ceejay said:
Hi Hope. I see you're from my neck of the woods... Did you have your op at SRH?
How long were you in for?
Any tips/advice on what I need to take? Or anything else...
Sorry for the third degree, but I had a call Monday evening to go this Friday for my op Saturday. I haven't seen anyone since March and wasn't expecting it so I'm a bag of nerves and feel like I'm running about like a headless chicken....
Thanks and well done on your weightloss to date.

Hi, yeah I had my op at srh I was admitted Thursday had my op Friday and should have been allowed home Sunday but was in some pain so they kept me in till the Monday when the surgeon was back to see me. My tips are to take a nice pillow and blanket if u have one I did and all the other ladies got people to bring them in for them lol, also if ur not a big fan of water take a bottle of no added sugar squash as the day after op they want u to constantly drink. Tvs are expensive £20 for 3 days so either money or other things to do like books etc. Any other questions Hun just inbox me. Ur bound to be nervous everybody is xx

Danniplus4

Ooh good thread! I'm 17 weeks post op and so far.....

Cons
Missing Diet Coke - though not as much as I thought I would
Missing carby goodies - bread, pasta etc though as above, not as much as I thought I would
Frustration when there is a vast array of food before me and I know I won't manage more than a few mouthfuls or feel the pain!

Pros
Wow - weight loss! 6 stone gone and never coming back

I don't regret a thing. I had my op through Cosmetic Bliss in Czech Republic and can't fault them. I was out of bed same day, no pain, no problems. I, haven't found anything yet I can't eat although I am avoiding carbs to help the weight loss as I know they are bad for me. I have had a cheeky glass of wine when I was n holiday last week, but it was literally just one. It was the best decision I have ever made.

Ruthiep

Pros: everything as stated above. Weight loss, no pain from my arthritis. I look like a teenager and I'm 64!.. buying small sized clothes!!

Cons: Constipated, but sorting that.

Not being able to drink with my meals. I miss that.

None other I can think of.

Lush121

Thank you everyone for posting your experiences, they are really helpful.

Just curious, for the people who had their operation done abroad, did you fly back to the UK straight after your surgery and how was the flight? I am planning on having a sleeve. A friend of mine with a band says she feels very nauseous when she flies, and I am not sure if it is the same with a sleeve?

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Thank you everyone for posting your experiences, they are really helpful.

Just curious, for the people who had their operation done abroad, did you fly back to the UK straight after your surgery and how was the flight? I am planning on having a sleeve. A friend of mine with a band says she feels very nauseous when she flies, and I am not sure if it is the same with a sleeve?
i went to czech republic with cosmetic bliss, the flight home was fine, i think it was 3 days after that we flew, no probs, feel free to mail me if you have any questions, good luck :) x

northerngordon

Best bits - obviously the weight loss. Plus I have osteo-arthritis in my lower back and knees and it hardly hurts now where as before my op I couldn't walk 50 yards without having to sit down.

Bad bits: Not being able to drink with meals, I used to love a glass of milk with meals at home and a beer if eating out. Only going to the loo now and again and because I'm still on the pureed/soft food part of my post op diet, my faeces is runny liquid. Is there anything I can take to harden my stools? Also, this has only happened to me once so far, but I ate a few too many spoonfuls of scrambled egg and felt like I wanted to vomit, although I didn't and just spat out a lot of saliva.

rudders

Thank you to all contributors, really great information and excellent advise to help make an informed decision. I think the sleeve is the way ill go - pending funding!
Thanks again
Rudders

Sashie1977

I love this thread! I had the sleeve 6 1/2 weeks ago.
Pros: I have dropped almost 3 stone, by blood pressure is now below normal, my skin and hair are glowing and I feel amazing. I am so happy I have done this.

Cons: I can't seem to slow down my eating and I keep being sick after everything I eat :(
I also can't stop drinking tea with my food....I know it's not allowed but I am finding it a very hard habit to break. I often wonder if I should just stick to the liquid stage!
Will I ever be able to eat normally without being sick? It makes going out for dinner quite awkward! :/

beckers

This thread has been brilliant for me to read, at least i know some of the cons that can happen with it and can prepare myself for them if they happen lol

DaddyMack

Just stumbled upon this thread and it is so inspirational. Ruthiep, you're a legend, To Caren, Hope*87*, northerngordon and many many more thank you for sharing the good and the bad and keeping it real for us newbies - it is very much appreciated.
Had my sleeve on 28/10/12 at Chelsfield Park under Mr. El Hassani so it's not quite 2 weeks and I'm still on liquids. Already my hypertension has gone and my blood pressure in down to normal figures. My back ache has virtually gone and the regular twinges in my knees are far less frequent. I'm not eating but have much more energy, I'm already into the "older clothes" section of my wardrobe as the current stuff is hanging off me. And best of all the wife wants to bounce on my bones again -it's been a while
Negatives - Had pain for about 5 days in total but that's already ancient history. Liquid diet is a struggle but I keep reminding myself it's only temporary. The pills and self-injecting is a bit of a palaver but again only temporary. People are already asking why I look different - I tell them it's the hair cut which is ridiculous as I've been shaving my head for about 5 years. And the final negative is the wife wanting to bounce on my bones again, " Come on Missus! I've just had major surgery you know!!"
Only joking, I love my sleeve, it's the wisest move I've ever made ( besides my marriage ) and I thank Mr. El Hassani from the bottom of my heart for prolonging my life.
Good luck everyone and stay positive ;-)

edge

DaddyMack said:
Just stumbled upon this thread and it is so inspirational. Ruthiep, you're a legend, To Caren, Hope*87*, northerngordon and many many more thank you for sharing the good and the bad and keeping it real for us newbies - it is very much appreciated.
Had my sleeve on 28/10/12 at Chelsfield Park under Mr. El Hassani so it's not quite 2 weeks and I'm still on liquids. Already my hypertension has gone and my blood pressure in down to normal figures. My back ache has virtually gone and the regular twinges in my knees are far less frequent. I'm not eating but have much more energy, I'm already into the "older clothes" section of my wardrobe as the current stuff is hanging off me. And best of all the wife wants to bounce on my bones again -it's been a while
Negatives - Had pain for about 5 days in total but that's already ancient history. Liquid diet is a struggle but I keep reminding myself it's only temporary. The pills and self-injecting is a bit of a palaver but again only temporary. People are already asking why I look different - I tell them it's the hair cut which is ridiculous as I've been shaving my head for about 5 years. And the final negative is the wife wanting to bounce on my bones again, " Come on Missus! I've just had major surgery you know!!"
Only joking, I love my sleeve, it's the wisest move I've ever made ( besides my marriage ) and I thank Mr. El Hassani from the bottom of my heart for prolonging my life.
Good luck everyone and stay positive ;-)

Great stuff DaddyMack.you sound very positive,keep up the good work.xxxx

DaddyMack

Thanks Edge, I will do and you too.
We'll keep walking towards that bright light at the end of the tunnel x

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
DaddyMack said:
Thanks Edge, I will do and you too.
We'll keep walking towards that bright light at the end of the tunnel x

Stay away from the bright light!! Have you not watch poltergeist? Hehehe

DaddyMack

HAHAHA Fuffs, anyone who had dared to ring my door bell really early in the morning, and got me out of my warm bed for a silly reason will tell you I'm scarier than any poltergeist.
You've done fantastically well Fuffs and you give us all hope. Keep up the great work

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
DaddyMack said:
HAHAHA Fuffs, anyone who had dared to ring my door bell really early in the morning, and got me out of my warm bed for a silly reason will tell you I'm scarier than any poltergeist.
You've done fantastically well Fuffs and you give us all hope. Keep up the great work

Hehehehe I am about the same as you lol

And thank you very much. That is lovely of you to say. Glad my journey can help others :D xxx