• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

December 2016 Surgeries

Me....... :) 7th December. Gastric bypass. been doing milk diet for 3 weeks 1 day and to be honest I can't wait to get it done so I can start tasting food again :) obviously I'm really worried about complications but I can't wait for the next stage of my weight loss journey xx

To begin with the milk doet was hard. the first 5 days were hell. my body was crying out for food but since then I have been fine (apart from cramp and constipation) I have to do 4 weeks in all. I have lost 20lb so far my doing milk diet which I'm really pleased with. thanks, no point in sugar coating thanks for the advice. look forward to day 2 post op then :)

To begin with the milk doet was hard. the first 5 days were hell. my body was crying out for food but since then I have been fine (apart from cramp and constipation) I have to do 4 weeks in all. I have lost 20lb so far my doing milk diet which I'm really pleased with. thanks, no point in sugar coating thanks for the advice. look forward to day 2 post op then :)
Brilliant loss so far well done. Countdown to the op now - it'll fly x

Hi @Sarahlou123 sounds like you have been doing well on your milk diet! Not long to go now! I had a bypass and the most painful bit for me was the drain/where the drain was!

I was pretty doped up on painkillers for the first few days - morphine, tramadol and iv paracetamol! But I don't remember it being as painful as I thought it would be. I was suprised at how much I could move around on the 2nd day, I could get on and off the bed etc - slowly, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I was really lucky and didn't have wind pain from the gas they inflate you with so I can't comment on that - highly recommend peppermint tea for settling tummy and for shifting gas.

The one piece of advice I was very grateful for - if you have a gastrograph (swallow test scan) the day after surgery, the stuff they give you to drink can give you an upset stomach! Can happen as soon as 20 min after or the day after! So be careful of feeling like you have wind - it might not just be wind! I had my test at 18.00 and in the night I woke up about 4am and realised what was happening so I made it to the loo! I had diahorrea for the whole of the next day, then it eased off. So glad someone had pre-warned me! Not everyone has a gastrograph though so you may escape that!

Hi @Sarahlou123 sounds like you have been doing well on your milk diet! Not long to go now! I had a bypass and the most painful bit for me was the drain/where the drain was!

I was pretty doped up on painkillers for the first few days - morphine, tramadol and iv paracetamol! But I don't remember it being as painful as I thought it would be. I was suprised at how much I could move around on the 2nd day, I could get on and off the bed etc - slowly, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I was really lucky and didn't have wind pain from the gas they inflate you with so I can't comment on that - highly recommend peppermint tea for settling tummy and for shifting gas.

The one piece of advice I was very grateful for - if you have a gastrograph (swallow test scan) the day after surgery, the stuff they give you to drink can give you an upset stomach! Can happen as soon as 20 min after or the day after! So be careful of feeling like you have wind - it might not just be wind! I had my test at 18.00 and in the night I woke up about 4am and realised what was happening so I made it to the loo! I had diahorrea for the whole of the next day, then it eased off. So glad someone had pre-warned me! Not everyone has a gastrograph though so you may escape that!

Hi hannah2, thank you so much for your advice. I will be fully prepared ;)
It's great hearing how it is after the op from you all it really really helps. where did you have it done if you don't mind me asking. we're you in hospital long? how long are you post op now??
Thanks again for the support xx

Hi hannah2, thank you so much for your advice. I will be fully prepared ;)
It's great hearing how it is after the op from you all it really really helps. where did you have it done if you don't mind me asking. we're you in hospital long? how long are you post op now??
Thanks again for the support xx

If you turn your phone to landscape you will see people's details on the left and their signatures. I was in hospital for 3 nights but I could have left after 2 nights if I wanted to. My op was 25th August this year.

The first few weeks can be tough, and you might get post op blues - but things improve day by day - focus on why you are doing it - some people write a letter before to read when things are tough to remind you why you are doing it - it helps some people.

Good luck for your op! Sounds like it's going well on the LRD so far.

Good luck for your op. I found the LRD got better as it went on. My pain wasn't too bad post-op. Morphine pump for just over 24 hours, with needing less pumps after 24, and regular paracetamol after that for about 4 weeks. I had wind which was uncomfortable but not the excruciating pain caused by it that some others on here have described. My biggest bug bear with pain has been constipation so do check with your team what you are allowed to take, particularly post-op as it can be different to pre-op as fibre types laxatives such as Fybogel are not allowed and try and get on top of it as soon as you can.

I was a sleeve, not a bypass, but if you want to read more about my experience have a look at my diary in the pre-ops thread - Sam's Musings

Good luck for your op. I found the LRD got better as it went on. My pain wasn't too bad post-op. Morphine pump for just over 24 hours, with needing less pumps after 24, and regular paracetamol after that for about 4 weeks. I had wind which was uncomfortable but not the excruciating pain caused by it that some others on here have described. My biggest bug bear with pain has been constipation so do check with your team what you are allowed to take, particularly post-op as it can be different to pre-op as fibre types laxatives such as Fybogel are not allowed and try and get on top of it as soon as you can.

I was a sleeve, not a bypass, but if you want to read more about my experience have a look at my diary in the pre-ops thread - Sam's Musings

Thankyou so much for your reply. it's good today hear everyone's stories. its all getting me very prepared.
Thanks again and good luck with the rest of your journey xx

Hi I am also having RNY bypass on Monday 12th December. Am halfway through milk diet and really struggling today to not just give in and "sneak" a sarnie! Up until now have done really well!
Am really appreciative of this site and reading all of your experiences and advice. H X

Me....... :) 7th December. Gastric bypass. been doing milk diet for 3 weeks 1 day and to be honest I can't wait to get it done so I can start tasting food again :) obviously I'm really worried about complications but I can't wait for the next stage of my weight loss journey xx
I am too on 12th x

Back