• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having a wobble

i think the first step is admitting you have a problem then seek help with it as you would if you was say an alcoholic food is an addiction and you need to seek help for the said addiction but you have admitted here you have a problem so that is the first step from here on in i would say look at changing your eating habits its not easy but there is a lot of support on this forum good luck with it and remember we are all here for the same reason and to offer support

your very welcome

It's blooming hard... I've been there.....

When you are not in the right frame of mind, it just won't happen. Surgery cant fix what's in your head. You have to WANT to control the demons and learn how to adjust. Surgery helps a lot, but you can still abuse it if you want to.

I'd recommend MY FITNESS PAL (free ap). Genuinely record everything you eat. You can barcode scan too.

Web calculators show that to maintain the weight I WAS, I must have been consuming approx 3000 calories per day - and I was good at eating junk and carbs.....

Just reducing from the norm and thinking before opening a chocolate bar is a big step. Apples dont exactly have the same appeal.

Detoxing off sugar and carbs (bread / potatoes / rice) is pretty much hell - takes about 5 days. You'll initially get really bad headaches.

Once the carbs are out your system, eating better is easier. the longer you stay off them, the easier it gets.

There is still (and always will be) a demon on my shoulder. It's part of me and will be there no matter what. The surgery is a big help as I have good restriction now.... but I could eat loads of the wrong stuff and very good restriction on the good stuff (like high protein meat / fish and veggies / apples etc). I'm sure I could still eat a few bags of crisps or a couple of choccie bars in a row.

I MUST have portion control of the naughty stuff. If I had to have a choccie bar, it would need to be a mini kids one or similar. When the packet is empty - NO MORE ! Treats can still be there, but a tight rein is needed.

I really feel for you, having been in the same situation.... but you need to be ready to make the changes and be prepared to live with it and not cheat yourself. The first main step is recognising the problem. The next one is starting to tackle it yourself and then dealing with it once and for all. Good luck !

start tomorrow fresh and leave everything else behind you cant continue to punish yourself for bad eating behaviours. Accept it and make a change. the biggest thing that helped me was cutting out anything fizzy. I was then able to tell when i was actually hungry/full rather than being full of wind and guessing at it. Also just start cutting portion size down. x x

I found that reading through the posts from different people gives you a wider spectrum and certainly helped me. The best change I have come across was swapping to a smaller plate and the hardest thing to give up was OJ and mc d's milkshake. I gave the later up last week for lent. Oj as soon as I read that from concentrate apparently contains some chemical that makes your body store fat :( the brakes went on hard with that one. I refuse to accept that I am on a diet as that causes me to want things more than I did before I said the word itself so instead decided that it's a new challenge and I really don't want to go back.
1 week today I have been using this way of thinking (normal diet is around 2 days to giving in) and was shocked to find when I got on the scales that I have lost 7lb in 7 days. My new way of thinking includes the " I gave up smoking 7yrs ago so I can do this" early days but I love the idea and I'm quite aware I have to lose more before my next appointment but 7kg in 3 months is my goal and not sounding beyond my dreams any longer. Good luck all of you. :)

Hi there I'm 7 months post bypass & gave up smoking proper cigs over 10 months ago! I still have the odd puff on an e cig at times of stress but so glad I've given up! Giving up smoking was the next best thing to having surgery. I hated smoking & the hold it had on me! It's so hard giving up two huge vices at the same time but if I can anyone can! Good luck x

Well done you :) tbh I'm feeling like I'm giving up and it's not even begun...

Don't give up Bunster just take a step back and rethink. I find my biggest problem is that when I think I'm being made to stop doing something or wanting it my brain tells me I just want it even more so.
My decision not to diet any more but to rethink how I want to lose it has made a difference so hoping and praying I'm doing it right thanks to joining here and the help from so many nice people that don't judge you. :)

Just feel like I cannot get it right and there's only do long people will stand by me befor they too leave! So many people trying to help but I just cannot help myself need a half full glass ffs! X Thankyou xxx i know there's a light just can't seem to find it! X

I watched my father die thru lung cancer, nursed him for last 8wks...it's worst disease & suffering....try & think of long term effects of smoking, you can't cheat it. Harsh words I know, but it's close to my heart. Xxx

Well done you :) tbh I'm feeling like I'm giving up and it's not even begun...

Hi Bunster, I feel for you. I am in for my op on 28th March and cant wait to stop this battle every day!!

It has been getting easier but you have to be in the right frame of mind. I think what has helped me mentally and food wise is to be organised. I now decide what meals I am goin to make for the week then write my shopping list and only get whats on the list instead of shoppin blind and buying all the naughties!!

Its great, so all I do now is decide what I fancy the next day and get meat or whatever out of freezer. I cook fresh every day then decide again for the next day and so the cycle begins again. I can honestly say that is the best thing I have done so far xxxx

Dont lose hope, you may already be doing this but just thought I would say what i was doing xx

Thanks Joanne it's hard isn't it I'm useless at organising!! Clare just can't stop eating it's like I hate it so much but I want to scoff continuously x

Back