• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers

I had my band for 12 years, I had it removed 8 weeks ago and had revisional surgery to bypass. During that time I lost 11 stone, no loose skin, had two children then become severely anaemic with very low ferritin levels, which Gp missed, ever increasing indigestion, reflux which Gp blamed on the band, she never understood it or wanted too. Eventually I couldn't eat, drink or swallow as if had started to take on fluid by itself. NHS wouldn't help so I went private again and It was found my band had slipped and I had a massive hernia and damaged oesophagus which were all repaired at same time as my new bypass.
I still have no regrets, when I had it done abroad all those years ago there was no aftercare and very little understanding here. I'm disappointed that the NHS dosen't want to help those who have helped themselves in the past but this is now an ongoing saga as the hernia symptoms should have been investigated, but that's another story!
So I'm starting a second weight loss journey, but have I suppose been living with WLS for 12 years. I'll answer any questions I can.
Carol

Wanted to bring this post back up,

As tonite I'm feeling really upset and don't know who to talk too.
I just wish sometimes there was more long term bypass patients about.
So they can perhaps know how I'm feeling at the minute.
It just would be nice if a few more stayed around,rather than when it's all exciting in the beginning of weightloss x

What's getting you down Emma Louise?

I know Im a bander but I'm always on here!

PM any of us emma-louise if you don't see us online.

I could make this thread a sticky but I'm not sure where it should go? each surgery has a 6 months + section but it would be nice for all long termers to chat.

Let me know what you all think xx

I agree Mazza but we just don't get people taking part after the initial thread. Usually unless people have a problem they seem to be very quiet or not here. I'm here every day Emma but will be honest I am not sure this forum will ever get a long term section going. I worked really hard as a member to get the 6 months post op going at the start and would happily do the same for long term. BUT would anyone be around to make it work. I always feel so out of things I have a million things to discuss still but who with?

Since posting this thread originally, seeing some people joining in (great) its dwindled and didn't see new threads starting, so its crossed my mind should I just not to use this forum anymore. However I'm reluctant to go too as this is where I started and enjoyed and got great advice through the start of the losing phase. Yet by the time I was 12 months out most had as ever gone away. Its true of all forums I know but they do seem to have some long termers and as much as 10 years out whose advice is so valuable. Its a pity we can't get the same going here as it adds a real depth to the forum.

Just my thoughts of course but there has to be a will to get things started and a new section may be just the thing to do that. I could always try to fill it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

I am interested I AM a year and just over 2 months post and I appreciate hearing about people further on most people we chat to are new and we can only give advice but we need to receive it too, my gp can be quite naive and while he referred me withoiut me having to ask him he knows very little bout bariatric surgery and what happens afterwards, I usually have to tell him, or he says ask when you go to hospital, what good is that? I too have pain and discomfort fromn time to time not as bad as Emma but it rears its head, the last few days I have been left with tenderness in the left side of my tummy on line with belly button. I am going to see what today brings and may have to pay a visit to gp if nothing changes. xx Thank you for your help and I will watch out for your posts n threads xx

The reason I brought this post back up is that I think we need something for long termers.
I'm 2 years 3 months post op now,and I've stuck about,trying to help others.
But now it's my turn to need advice....

Don't get me wrong,my bypass had been good to me,it's done it's job...and so very grateful.
But I think too many people don't know what's its REALLY like to live with a bypass .

This site is great for newly op people,there's plenty eager beaver's to offer their advice and new experience.
But sometimes we need the true picture x

I think it is a brilliant idea to have something for long term posters. I am really curious about what problems I may have perhaps five or ten years after the surgery. I am pretty certain even people who didn't have the operation or just had it now would find it very useful to read about this. The problem is, I think, that often if people who had surgery don't have any problems, they move on. Then they don't have any reason to access this webside. (not everyone, obviously, but lots of people may think this way). So the posters will be only the small percentage of people who have problem. I am not sure if that's enough people to keep it going. For example, if someone posts a problem and then no one answers for 2 months (or people who answer will be just the pre-oppers who read it to get info of long-term problems), it may be quite discouraging. But we should try. It may work...

Enjoying reading this thread, il chuck my opinion in the mix. I'm now only 9 months post op and I've reached goal anyway I have a diary on here and have found that the further post op I am the less people seem interested. I did start the diary for myself so I can read back on things and maybe help others. At first loads were posting now they don't seem bothered which is fine by me but maybe the further post op you get the less interest u get hence why people disappear?? Fantastic thread!!

HoPe*87* said:
Enjoying reading this thread, il chuck my opinion in the mix. I'm now only 9 months post op and I've reached goal anyway I have a diary on here and have found that the further post op I am the less people seem interested. I did start the diary for myself so I can read back on things and maybe help others. At first loads were posting now they don't seem bothered which is fine by me but maybe the further post op you get the less interest u get hence why people disappear?? Fantastic thread!!

Couldn't agree more hope,
This is the reason why I have brought this thread back up x

I'm at the pre-op point so I am interested in everyone's experiences - and I also check daily to see what new threads have been posted.

Although I am at the excited stage, I know there will come a time when I grieve my old life and that is when I'll need support.

As a miniminer too I know how valuable the forums can be, so I intend to be around for a long long time

xxx

emma-louise said:
Couldn't agree more hope,
This is the reason why I have brought this thread back up x

Thanks Emma, I'm a sleever and as I said 9 months post op. I come on this site everyday and check in on threads but just feel a bit disheartened lately. If u ever want a chat pm me. I'm struggling with maintaining a the moment which is getting me down x

Great thread. Agree that it would be useful to have a longer term WLS forum spot.
Moderators - any chances of adding a new forum title on our menu?

CCPM said:
Just seeing if any long term people are still out there. I pop in and read every day and see absolutely no-one who was here when I joined or had my op. Has everyone gone? Does no-one see this as useful for long termers? People seem to pop back if they have a problem or perhaps mark a surgiversary but no-one is there to chat too about long term things. I don't for one give a stuff if you didn't lose 150% of your weight or have regained, lets chat and see if we can help each other or celebrate those who have done well and share their secrets.

Believe me it is a whole different ball game when you get to 2 or 3 or 4 years and I do so wish others were here who were at that stage. if they remain successful they could share, if they have problems we could all pitch in to help. As it is I look elsewhere and feel sad to have to do so does anyone else feel that or am I talking to myself?????

I know that many feel its all about those who are pre-op or in the first year post op and yes thats when you are fearful need support, need to share your victories or bemoan your problems or stalls. However does it all suddenly go away at the 1 year mark which seems to be when most people have beggared off. Do newbies not need to know its not all new that some have walked the path before and felt the same and survived. Have all those that have gone left because they are all in full control, happy and getting on with life? Don't they need anything now from others in the same boat?

Its a mystery to me as I constantly need to know what others are doing, find things out to help me and assess how I'm coping. American sites have helped show me by reading others real long term experiences that the UK knows a fraction of what they do in terms of potential complications just by the fact it has been happening there for so much longer. I read time and time again how long and fairly short term post op people here (and in the US) have problems they present to their GP (mistake they know very little about bariatrics let alone complications) or local hospital with and get sent away. Nowadays with many new surgeons and hospitals undertaking bariatrics the surgeons don't have the length or depth of experience to have seen many of these problems and so don't identify them either. I sometimes worry when I read go back to your team, yes thats fine but our local hospital for example set up bariatrics a year ago and have done 33 ops. to date so yes start there but ask the relevant question i.e how much experience of this do you have as docs are beggars for believing they walk with god on a regular basis and are superior beings. I'm a partner to 9 of them. BUT where there are many long termers posting you can bet one of them will have either experienced it first hand or know something about it enough to say ask some more that's not right. For example how many know what a Petersens hernia is?? No well you should bypassers suffer these, they may be life threatening. How do you recognise magnesium or copper deficiency, its effects can be cruel?? Do you know why we need to take calcium as calcium citrate? More important does your GP and is s/he prescribing it in that form? I doubt it, its not the usual calcium on prescription. Do we don't we need B12 injections how is that monitored? The list is endless.

Is there any body there can we build a long term section for support???

Bariatric surgery can be fantastic I love my bypass it changed my life but it isn't all about the here and now its for life just like that pesky christmas puppy. Come on out and post if only to shut me up

M

Great post,ccpm,I am very early days after my bypass 2weeks ago,I have often wondered where all the longer post oppers,had disappeared too,It would be nice if there was a sticky on this subject.posts people who have been through so much they must have a wealth of information they can share with other bypasses short or long term,I for one would like to know what I possibly may face in the years and months ahead,so lets keep pushing for this to be a regular thread.I for one will watch and participate if I can in the future.nice one CCPM.

I'm so glad I brought this thread back to life,it looks like people are interested what happens years down the line...

Certainly are and I think will be. People need to realise what happens or can happen once you get to the year mark and beyond. Think most people make it to 6 months then disappear. I would like to kno0w some of the answers to the questions you fronted there. I don't know how I would know IF I HAD A DEFICIENCY, and what a Peterson hernia is, my doctor knows virtually nowt about my op he cna never help me I either have to make suggestions or decisions myself or he suggests ask at the nexthospital app. xx

Great thread. Agree that it would be useful to have a longer term WLS forum spot.
Moderators - any chances of adding a new forum title on our menu?

Oh why didnt I think of that, oh wait I did lol

I said on page two of the thread I could make this a sticky but what did everyone else think?

Will it be open for everyone or will it be just for 1 year plus, or two year plus. Lots of things to consider.

If you have any ideas please pm me so that I can discuss what to do with the other moderators :D

Yes you did suggest that Mazza after the original thread. There are other long termers that are moderators so they help in the running of the forum and its much appreciated but what about developing the forum, keeping it real. As everyone says there are few of us long termers here. Is it the members who drive from the bottom up, the mods who lead or indeed who leads? No-one taking the lead means no development. Does a single member become in danger of being tarred with the who the heck do they think they are badge if they try to lead? I don't have any insight into forum management never been asked to be a moderator nor expected to be, so can only try as a member.

So I stand up willing to be counted. There are so few of us about I think it would be difficult to get long termers sections going in every type of wls and wrap/sleeve maybe are so new as to not have many long termers available. Why not start one section for all if it proves popular then it could be split out.

There thats my 5 pennorth. I really care and want to develop the forum to meet everyone's needs before we all leave and go somewhere else to try to get the very rare long term information that may be out there. Because I really believe we need it, so many don't do brilliantly the further out they get and few know what to do if they have problems and how to start to see it is a problem in many cases.
Access to medical research shows me at the 10 year stage after wls became more routine in the UK (2002) revision is on the rapid increase, regain is prolific and people start to look for new solutions to an obesity crisis that wls is not proving to be the holy grail for it was first thought. Diabetic problems are not resolved 'permanently' and some are now experiencing onset of diabetic complications as they thought their diabetes was 'cured' so stopped their checks often on the advice of their doctors. 10 years is nothing in terms of research and medical development who knows what faces us and isn't the best place to start to find out information from many many people who have experienced things first hand. We are not medical but it is happening to us. If more people tell us they are OK it puts it all in perspective, if people tell us they have problems and the solutions they found or seek its helpful.

Anyhow thats enough from me

M

Last edited:
Back