• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers

No she wasn't, sorry if I gave that impression. She only passed two days ago so can't really go into it in detail I'm afraid.

I fully understand. As a long standing Walsall patient I wondered if it was someone I met. I wish you well in your forth coming surgery. You have been through so much. Thank goodness you have found a surgeon who is willing to try and help you.

Best wishes

TBx

Hi ladies I've not been on for a long while. Was off pretending to be "normal" but Im not so I am back lol. Very sorry to hear about some of the terrible problems some have had. I've been a pratt and gotten most of my calories from cake and chocolate for the last18 months and so now am a stone and a half up. It has been comfort eating and sweetstuff hits the spot. I have been quite depressed and very anxious since January due to bereavement and horrendous work stress. This week I've started following the rules and eating hard protein first. I can't eat a lot and dont get hungry, except for head hunger, and after 5 days I feel more in control.
I've started weighing myself again so I know I am facing up to being in a bad place (not just weight wise)..
I was discharged from the hospital two years ago and there wasnt any support anyway. . This community has been such a source of support I was stupid to ever stop visiting.
Hi Chrisa, so pleased to see you are still posting xx

Last edited:
Yeah am still around check site every day and read whats going on. I am concerned about Alex as have not heard anything about her for soo long now hope she is doing ok.

I understand the stress thing as that is where I have been it still gets ya, we can try and change as much as possible but the head is the hardest to re-arrange. I too have gained some weight. I spoke to the nurse the other day when I went for my annual bloods at local gp surgery. I said I was struggling and she asked in what way I said about weight gain and asked what I started at and where I am now. She was unconcerned but said I had still lost a large chunk of weight so really was dismissed again. I have heard nothing so far about my bloods so must be ok still. I have changed shape and I can tell I am really conscious about it. WE are going out tonight for a friends birthday and she wants to do 80's. Well they are wearing leggings and tutus no way with my luscious shapely legs I have leggings and have made a rara skirt and put luminous pink frill on each layer , a white t shirt from my father big and baggy with I love 80's on the back and loads of coloured beads leg warmers and scarf for my hair bow will have to back comb and lacquer my hair to make it look big. Where as the body looks big lol. It will only take one remark or stare to make unnerve me think we will need a drink before we go. I love these nights but I hate looking worse than I already am. keep trucking.

Hi ladies I've not been on for a long while. Was off pretending to be "normal" but Im not so I am back lol. Very sorry to hear about some of the terrible problems some have had. I've been a pratt and gotten most of my calories from cake and chocolate for the last18 months and so now am a stone and a half up. It has been comfort eating and sweetstuff hits the spot. I have been quite depressed and very anxious since January due to bereavement and horrendous work stress. This week I've started following the rules and eating hard protein first. I can't eat a lot and dont get hungry, except for head hunger, and after 5 days I feel more in control. I've started weighing myself again so I know I am facing up to being in a bad place (not just weight wise).. I was discharged from the hospital two years ago and there wasnt any support anyway. . This community has been such a source of support I was stupid to ever stop visiting. Hi Chrisa, so pleased to see you are still posting xx
hi hon, lovely to hear from you. It's not easy especially when you've got things going on. Old habits die hard unfortunately.

Hi ladies I've not been on for a long while. Was off pretending to be "normal" but Im not so I am back lol. Very sorry to hear about some of the terrible problems some have had. I've been a pratt and gotten most of my calories from cake and chocolate for the last18 months and so now am a stone and a half up. It has been comfort eating and sweetstuff hits the spot. I have been quite depressed and very anxious since January due to bereavement and horrendous work stress. This week I've started following the rules and eating hard protein first. I can't eat a lot and dont get hungry, except for head hunger, and after 5 days I feel more in control. I've started weighing myself again so I know I am facing up to being in a bad place (not just weight wise).. I was discharged from the hospital two years ago and there wasnt any support anyway. . This community has been such a source of support I was stupid to ever stop visiting. Hi Chrisa, so pleased to see you are still posting xx

Thanks for coming back and posting. I can't tell you how helpful having long term posters is. Having had regain a number of years after my band I am now post bypass.
I had a look at a few of your previous posts and found them so so informative.

Best of luck getting back on track. I am positive you will succeed. :)

Ps I self funded both times as getting WLS in Scotland is virtually impossible, I waited over 2years post referral, with a BMI well into the 40s, and not even an acknowledgement letter; my health problems were stacking up and impacting so much in everyday life. As such there never was really any support, no six monthly or annual checkups you are basically on your own. So sites like this are a Godsend. More knowledge here than in my GP's surgery, thats for sure.

Hi I' was bypass 22 months ago and discharged at 20 months . To be honest didn't see dietion much perhaps n three times afterwards . I had my appendix out at 10 months and I found it difficult to recover , more than the bypass!!! I assume it because it was a second surgery and also malnutrition element . Although to be honest I don't really know and also I'm two years older . But I noticed that some of you have had several operations , did you find it harder ? I'm having to have open heart surgery in jan a valve and may be cardiac bypass ? Not sure about that yet ,I have read on heart forums about increasing vit b and iron ? And of course keeping protein level high . Has any one ever been given nutritional advise prior to surgery ? I just want to give my self the best fighting chance

Hi I' was bypass 22 months ago and discharged at 20 months . To be honest didn't see dietion much perhaps n three times afterwards . I had my appendix out at 10 months and I found it difficult to recover , more than the bypass!!! I assume it because it was a second surgery and also malnutrition element . Although to be honest I don't really know and also I'm two years older . But I noticed that some of you have had several operations , did you find it harder ? I'm having to have open heart surgery in jan a valve and may be cardiac bypass ? Not sure about that yet ,I have read on heart forums about increasing vit b and iron ? And of course keeping protein level high . Has any one ever been given nutritional advise prior to surgery ? I just want to give my self the best fighting chance

I would say yes it does get harder the more you have and the older you get. Hope things go well for your forthcoming surgery x

HI you lovely lot. How is every one doin?

Emma hope you are feeling bit better each day.

Has anyone heard from Alex, is she still ok and coping allright.

This journey is a life long journey and is much a struggle as it was before the op if not more so because people watch you and are ready to judge you in an instant.

Keep trucking all I am floating a long nothing majorly wrong at moment other than the weight gain and poor eating choices from time to time however I still have good restriction xx

I know Alex is okay - just trying to keep her head above water. I'm pretty good just still trying to get skinny :)

Will you please let Alex know I am asking after her. Thanx Yvessa. You have done so very well and will contiunue to do so you are so determined xx

Wishful thinking that heart surgery would happen in January . 4 weeks ago I collapse and was blue lighted over for open heart surgery aortic valve and cardiac artery bypass graft . But unfortunately after surgery I bleed and I was rushed back down again and reopened they found the bleed it was the graft . Bit of a drama and loads of stress for my loved ones as out brother I law died of this 15 years ago . So I'm a double bypass . I'm on blood thinners for life ( Warfin ) and I been researching and it seem it more tricky for to get our INR levels stable . Would love to speak to some one who had a gastric bypass and on Warfin

Wishful thinking that heart surgery would happen in January . 4 weeks ago I collapse and was blue lighted over for open heart surgery aortic valve and cardiac artery bypass graft . But unfortunately after surgery I bleed and I was rushed back down again and reopened they found the bleed it was the graft . Bit of a drama and loads of stress for my loved ones as out brother I law died of this 15 years ago . So I'm a double bypass . I'm on blood thinners for life ( Warfin ) and I been researching and it seem it more tricky for to get our INR levels stable . Would love to speak to some one who had a gastric bypass and on Warfin

So sorry to hear all this love.

Yesterday I was released from hospital after having a bypass revision, anybody that knows my story will know I've had a really rotten time of it from day one and this was no different, scary time.

My original bypassed failed, lots of follow up operations ranging from fixing internal bleeds to hernia repairs leading to this recent revision. Prior to the operation I was told by the Anaesthetist that I only had a 30% chance of surviving the operation (I don't to Anaesthetic very well) so to say I was scared was an understatement.

Anyway on the day I dropped so lucky, I already know that several surgeons would be attending but they also assembled the Dream Team (the same set of award winning Anaesthetists that worked on the youngsters so badly hurt at Alton Towers).

They fitted a spinal tap and injected Anaesthetic into the port holes the surgeons used meaning they could use a lighter anaesthetic to put me under and less chance of affecting my breathing.

Again I was lucky in as much as my surgeons managed to do the whole thing keyhole. It was a seven and a half hour operation with Miss Rotundo's colleague working on the right hand side of my stomach and Miss Rotundo on the left. I have eight port holes. Miss Rotundo's colleague worked on removing the severe adhesions on the left hand side from the many previous operations and sorting my liver out whilst Miss Rotundo sorted out the nasty bit on the right.

I have a huge hernia on the right hand side and both my stomach and bowel are lying within this hernia. The staples from my original bypass had dropped out meaning that I effectively had two fully functioning stomachs. This we all knew before the operation but it was much much worse once she got in there. Both my stomach and bowel were attached to my stomach wall whilst inside the hernia and unfortunately the main stomach was actually ruptured and dying, most of that was cut away, my pouch was re-sized, double stapled and over stitched and is now about half the size of a normal bypass pouch, then she set about cutting out all the adhesions on that side of my stomach. I was told later that I have been lucky because the state my stomach meant I would have suffered Sepsis sooner rather than later and things would really have been drastic then.

I spent a week and a half in SSICU mainly because as usual I got a chest infection but would you believe despite all that surgery and the length of the surgery I am actually in far less pain than I was prior to the surgery with all those adhesions, I have been discharged with an open letter to go back in if I start to struggle in light of this pouch being so tiny.

I tried some pureed food but there is no chance of that happening just yet, the pain was unbelievable, (you forget how hard it is to transition from liquid to solids even though you've done it once).

So now I'm home, feet up and so happy/relieved to be alive, everything else I'm sure I'll manage to take as it comes. I still have the Hernia which of course can't be fixed until my weight is back off again but I did get a huge hug off Miss Rotundo along with a promise of a tummy tuck at the same time as the Hernia repair.

The whole thing was filmed and another surgeon who had watched it popped in to see me saying I really should sue the original hospital but that's for another day, right now I need to get just a little more than water and milk in and get some strength back.

Thanks to those that messaged me and for the good wishes.

Bonita xxx

Back