• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

May 2014 Surgeries

What protein shakes are people using? I bought a whey protein tub off Holland and Barrett (choc flavour) and it tasted horrid, im really struggling to get my protein in so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks x

I use a strawberry whey protein sometimes. It's not great trading, but better than some others I've had. I just think of it like the vitamin tablets, is like a medicine to help me get to where I want to be. xx

I'm the same lady luck
I'm trying to get protein in but going days without any and thank you I might do a few days with the protein shake see if that helps me I'll let you know thank you all x

I'm not using shakes now, trying to do it with food! It's hard but I'm getting there. I use the My Fitness Pal app to track it and it's so easy to use as it has a barcode scanner which pulls up all the nutritional values of the product you scan as well as everything you could ever imagine in the look up function.

Those new Danone Danio strained yoghurts are amazing, one of those has up to 13g protein dependent on flavour - if you blend it with 200ml of milk that's over 20g of protein right there without powder.

No added water ham slices are between 3-6g of protein a slice and only 20 calories and with a mini babybel light at 6g protein are a good 10g protein snack.

Living on chicken salad for lunch and dinner, even if I only have 50g of chicken at each meal it's still 15g protein.

My brain is on constant protein calculator mode!

Thanks for the replies guys, really really helpful. I'm gonna order some of those samples off my protein and Stacey thanks for those ideas that's fantastic. Ive got my fitness pal but ive stopped recording since surgery because im having so little but think I should start working out what im having and once ive done the basics it will be saved for next time.

Ive been eating alot of chicken lately so will be good to try some other things I think im just a bit scared to try in case it doesn't agree with me, but if you don't try you wont know as they say!

Chicken and pork both high protein I have them and use my fitness pal it always logs them as high protein foods

I too log everything on my fitness pal, I am not using protein shakes at the moment, am just getting my protein from food at every meal. Prawns, chicken, crabstick, pork, eggs, half fat cheese, stewed beef. Even made scotch egg from my own pork and eggs,so I know what is in each one, pretty much as the pork was really lean.Can only eat half of one at a time, but tastes great and such a nice change from chicken. I don't know if I would feel as confident if I wasn't tracking everything on my fitness pal, I love it!

Hope it went well for you bluegirl.

Ive logged my food intake on my fitness pal today, ive had 382 calores and 24g of protein, not good at all, I really need to try and up my intake but I feel so sick, getting worried now :(

Thanks to Stacy for the Babybel and Danio high protein yogart suggestions though, that's the only protein ive managed to get in today.

Hi ladyluck, it went ok just a little but sore but I now have 4mls in my band which I hope will give me some restriction. Back on fluids now for three days then mush for three days and then normal.
My you are struggling to get the calories in :( no wonder you are feeling rough :( not sure what to suggest as I am banded so things will be different for me.
We are with you though and all have the same goal in mind.
Take care.

Fingers crossed you get some restriction Bluegirl and the soreness subsides soon.

I am feeling pretty rough to be honest, I just cant eat anymore than what I am without making the sickness even worse. The only ever time ive felt this sick was when I was pregnant (which im defo not just to add!) and that lasted 16 weeks day in day out and made me very miserable. I have my follow up appointment with my surgeon tomorrow so will have a chat with him and probably see if I can get hold of the bariatric nurse to see if I can get any advice from them as im abit concerned as the longer this goes on the less nutrients my body is getting.

Sorry for the hefty paragraph there! Been a bad day! Best get myself to bed im exhausted! Thanks for your well wishes though Bluegirl it does help to know everyone here is looking out for each other x

Here's to a good follow up session with our surgeon Ladyluck !! Never apologise thus us what these boards are for. Let's hope you get some help today to make you start feeling better x

Ladyluck im 12 weeks out and only manage between 5/600 calories a day and about 30g protein you can help protein by adding skim milk powder to drinks cereals soups etc or buy flavourless protein powder to add to meals hope you feel better soon

sorry to hear you are struggling Dan, I have been really lucky and have had no sickness at all. I hope that they can sort out what is going on at your appointment today. let us know what they say. x

Been trying to pm you Ladyluck, but phone messing about, how did you get on with yr appointment? been thinking bout you all day, really hope they can shed some light on what's going on x

Hey peoples,

Had a horrendous day, went to my appointment and ended up being put in hospital on a drip.

Basically ive lost too much weight, im dehydrated, I feel sick all the time, cant eat any decent amount of food, im dizzy and exhausted and ive had numbness, pins and needles and tingling in my hand and leg. I was admitted to hospital and turns out im deficient in vitamin B1 Thiamin, so ive been on a drip with vitamins and been prescribed Thiamin and have to go back in tomorrow for another drip.

I wish I spoke up sooner so I hadnt got this bad in the first place but least now im getting treatment and hopefully il be on the mend soon and il be able to actually eat without feeling sick and be able to eat those vital nutrients.

Back