• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

May 2014 Surgeries

princess4d4

Hope you start to feel better soon

ladyluck14k

Thanks for all the messages of support, ive spent the weekend in hospital and thankfully they let me home a few hours ago.

Ive had several drips of vitamins and im on anti sickness tablets and vitamin B1 tablets and today ive been feeling alot better and been able to eat and drink and not feel sick afterwards so fingers crossed that is the end of it and I can build my strength back up.

I will be sent a follow up appointment for a few weeks time to check how im getting on as well as my bariatric follow up appointment in 6 weeks time so I cannot fault the NHS on jot on the treatment ive had, they have been really on the ball with this and I cant thank them enough for looking after me, im just glad to be home in my own bed!

Hope everyone else is getting on alot better than me lol

Banana19

So glad to hear you're back home ok!! Hope you get better each day and get back to your wee self soon :) hopefully that's you through the worst!!

I had a little celebration today after buying a size 18 dress from Dorothy Perkins, couldn't believe it fit me ok!x

ladyluck14k

Thanks Banana and Mandijane, defo hope im out of the worst now, and high five on the size 18 dress! amazing achievement! Makes all the hard work worthwhile x

Vegas

Hi may oppers, I know lots of people are struggling to eat anything, but I'm concerned that I seem to be able to eat everything! I keep the portions small as I really don't want to stretch the sleeve but I eat and still hungry within the hour. I do feel a very mild restriction ( was previously banded so having to get used to a non band restriction feeling) I don't go over the 800 cals but it's the portions and frequency that concerns me. What quantities are you all eating at 7 ish weeks post op.

princess4d4

Vegas im 12 weeks post bypass and most I reach is 612calories on a really good day but mostly just over the 500 mark there is no right or wrong we all are different but I would suggest ringing your provider if your concerned as you shouldnt feel hungry that quick

Jamast

Hi Vegas. Like you, I seem to be able to eat anything. However, I'm 10 weeks post op and usually manage around 600 - 650 calories. I have gone over 700 a couple of times but also have days where I can only manage just over 500. It depends on what I eat to be honest. I agree that we're all very different, with different activity or levels and different metabolism as well as other things that affect how much we can eat and how fast or slow we will lose weight. For example I have a very underactive thyroid, and am not overtly mobile at the moment due to my arthritic old body playing up, lol - so I don't expect to be as hungry as some people due to not burning as much energy, and therefore I won't lose weight as quickly as some.
On top of that, I don't always have a feeling of fullness, but since the op, once my body has had enough I do a strange sort of hiccup sound once 'full'. I spent a few weeks waiting for the fullness I used to feel after eating before the op, then realised, that most of the time pre-op wasn't a feeling of fullness but feeling stuffed from overeating.
I also only have three small meals a day. I can't manage the 3 meals and 2 snacks that many recommend, but I was never really a snacker between meals before my op.
We are all individuals and this is a learning process. Think about the amount you ate before your op and compare to now. I expect that you're eating a LOT less now.

Vegas

I am eating a lot less, and I am eating low fat low sugar foods, usually just protein from meats, a few veg/ salad, and yoghurts. If I snack I go for almonds. The only other things are slim fast for breakfast which is good protein wise but over 200 cals so that maybe where I'm getting a lot of cals from. I guess I could be over counting too because it's hard to judge from my fitness pal sometimes about portion size. I'm meeting with my dietician in a couple of weeks so I'll have a chat with her. Oh and I'll try and listen harder to my belly sleeve!

princess4d4

On my fitness pal you can adjust portion sizes I do so for example if its a tin of beans and you eat half change theb1 to 0.5 or for quarter change to 0.25 or a third I change to 0.33

Jamast

Vegas

The bariatric plate looks useful. The problem I have with my fitness pal is things like homemade casseroles and the like that contain loads of different veg, meat etc (I tend to judge ingredients by slimming world recipes to avoid fat/sugar etc. I do loads of slow cooker stuff as it suits my work hours best, but it's hard to judge calories like that so a lot of it is guess work.

trish418

I can totally relate to what your saying too vegas. I was bypassed on 21.5.14 (almost 8 weeks ago) and I can eat anything and plenty of it too!! I seldom feel restriction, although these last few days I have felt some restriction with some of my meals so Im hoping restriction is starting slowly to kick in now and compared to some people who say things like "I can only manage 3 or 4 tablespoons of food" I can eat fairly big portions. I think im eating about 800 cals a day, but occasionally I still feel hungry but I limit myself to 800 cals max. I feel hunger too which is worrying as I know some people dont experience any hunger post op. But on a positive note I have lost 3st 3lb in 9 weeks and am averaging about 3 to 4lb a week weight loss so I must be doing something right!

Vegas

It's lovely to hear someone having the same experience trish, I was beginning to think that the operation was just a hoax! But your weight loss is amazing so whatever your doing is working just fine :)

Stacey83

The bariatric plate looks useful. The problem I have with my fitness pal is things like homemade casseroles and the like that contain loads of different veg, meat etc (I tend to judge ingredients by slimming world recipes to avoid fat/sugar etc. I do loads of slow cooker stuff as it suits my work hours best, but it's hard to judge calories like that so a lot of it is guess work.

I've just discovered if you log in to my fitness pal on the computer rather than the app and click on food at the top there's a recipe builder where you put in all your ingredients and how many portions you're making and it calculates it for you! Then it saves it under recipes and on the app you can add food from recipes and your own creations are stored there. It's been a great discovery for me as I was worried about portions etc but thrilled to discover my beef hot pot was only 312 calories per serve with 26g protein, I'd tried to add it up and it wad much higher!

Banana19

I still can't believe I've had surgery other than the reduced portion size/food choices as I feel so so good :)

I'm now down 4st2lbs since the end of April. I know I've still a way to go but I haven't felt this good about myself in years :) :)

Thank you all so much for your support, it's been vital for me as I haven't told many people about the surgery xx

Mandijayne

I've just discovered if you log in to my fitness pal on the computer rather than the app and click on food at the top there's a recipe builder where you put in all your ingredients and how many portions you're making and it calculates it for you! Then it saves it under recipes and on the app you can add food from recipes and your own creations are stored there. It's been a great discovery for me as I was worried about portions etc but thrilled to discover my beef hot pot was only 312 calories per serve with 26g protein, I'd tried to add it up and it wad much higher!

This is available on the app too. Just click on the recipes tab once you are adding food. Scroll down to the bottom and click create new recipe. Xx