• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Me and my battle with the bulge (Gastric Band)

Good luck Tam we have all moved up so your space on the losers bench is waiting along with Kevin and anyone else who is having surgery tomorrow xx

loved your diaries so far Tam... good luck xx

Well im oficially banded and here is what happened to me.

We (me, hubby & son) left north wales at 9am and found our way to sheffield by 11.30am. By this time i had a slimfast shake at 8am and my last sip of water at 11am and of course my last ciggie.
We pratted around until 1.30pm where i checked into the claremont.
I was feeling very calm and cool.
I was taken to my private room which i was so pleased over and Mavis came in, introduced herself and took me to weigh myself. She then proceeded to fill out my medical booklet which always stayed on the end of my bed.
She asked me loads of questions about allergies, crowns or caps, family history etc... before leaving for 15 minutes.
I managed to unpack and put all my 'stuff' close to hand and switch on the TV when mavis came back and put my wrist band on, an allergen band (im allergic to nickel) and gave me the outfit i had to wear for surgery.
It was a long blue gown which fastened at the back, mesh knickers and some knee length white stockings. She told me to wear my own cotton knickers if the mesh ones didnt fit (which didnt)
I then had my blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature taken. Mavis then told me i was booked in for 6pm and to expect blood tests, the anethatist and surgeon to visit me.
I was then left in peace for about 1 hour.
At this point i was fed up at looking at my hubbys face as i could see he was worried so i sent him home....2 hour drive!
I was hungry and thirsty but i could not have anything, not even a tiny sip and of course no ciggies. I just put the TV on and played on my mobile. I also tried to get my head down, but every 30 mins there was somebody knocking on the door.
A chap came to take 3 sets of blood from my arm and even though he was really good and fast he was a bit of a miserable git.
The anethatist then came (he was very good looking) asked me questions about previous anesthetics, allergies etc...
At 4.15pm my surgeon came in, Roger Ackroyd. He definately is not as good looking as his pictures but a nice chap. He just asked a few questions about previous diets and asked me to sign a consent form for them to open me up if anything went wrong or in case of mortality....that was it, he was about to do a daley out of the door when i shouted him back. I wanted to know what size band i was going to have and if he was going to put any fill in.
He told me a 9ml band with zero fill and off he went.

At this point i was feeling like a number. A Nobody. I phoned my hubby and told him.
I also had thoughts that i was going to be his last patient of the day and so i might be a rush job......but i was not, he was performing until 9pm.

Finally the fun started and a nurse (cant remember her name) came to get me. I got dressed into my 'outfit' put my dressing gown and slippers on and started to walk to theatre.
This nurse was lovely, totally kept me engaged in conversation. She showed me the recovery room and theatre then took me to the anesthetic room.
She kept my mind busy which i was pleased of, peace and quite at this point would have made me panic.
In came a bed which i got myself onto and everything then happened so fast.
I had 1 chap putting sticky pads on my chest, the anethatist putting in the canular, and another chap fiddling with my stocking (making sure the feet were totally covered). Next thing i knew, there was a mask going over my mouth and nose and the anethatist telling me all is ok and ill drift off into a sleep.
WHACK...i was out for the count, it was such a nice feeling of propper sleepyness.

Next thing i knew, 2 nurses were waking me up in the recovery room.
I was sooooo sleepy, but managed to ask if all went ok, which it did and what time it was. It was 6.20pm! So not even 45 mins from leaving my room.
The the hiccups started and they were horrible. So painful in my chest, they were driving me mad but went after about 10 minutes.
She gave me a sip of water and asked me about my pain, it was ok but i could feel it getting worse so she gave me some morphine through my canular then the 2 nurses wheeled me back to my room where i slept a while longer.
I was in no pain.
I was rigged up to a drip machine for my fluids and had to wear an oxygen mask, but soon swapped to the version that goes up your nose as the mask made my face itch.

Then the night shift had started and my male nurse called Ali looked after me.
I also made my phone calls to let hubby and sisters know i was ok.....but couldnt get hold of hubby!!!!!!

Then hubby turned up, he felt too guilty leaving me so drove all the way back and booked him and my son into a hotel...ah bless him!

Every hour Ali took my blood pressure, temperature and pulse.
At 10.30pm he added a bottle of paracetamol to my drip, but i wasnt in pain.
I had gotten up a few times to go to the toilet and check my mobile phone by the window as i didnt have signal.

Going to the loo was ok, but when weeing it was in dribbles, it felt wierd but im back to normal now.

I had 5 plasters on my upper tummy (just under boobs) and they were ok, just pulling a bit when sitting up or sitting down.

Ali then let me inject myself with the injections i have to give myself for 10 days (i think its B12) This was fine and ive just done it now, im glad ive got some blubber for the needle to go into.

I sipped water all night inbetween sleeping and all was fine.

In the morning at 7.30am Roger Ackroyd came to see me and told me that it had gone really well and that i know what i should be doing now (on fluids) and my provider would be in touch....off he went!

I was then visited by the new day shift nurse who gave me all my medication.
Disolvable solphadine (this is too disgusting to have so im taking my nurofen), my B12 injections and needle box, some clean plasters and 2 letters. 1 for my doctor and 1 for the practice nurse who will have to remove my metal clips in 10 days!!! WHAT WHAT WHAT, ive not had disolvable stitches????
She told me these hold better than stitches then handed me some scissors for the practice nurse to taken them out.

I then got my pillow and placed it over my tummy and came home...all still fine and not in any pain.

We stopped off at mcdonalds on the way back for hubby to use the toilet and my tummy was rumbling. It was not a normal grumble as the grumbling came from the centre of my chest just under my boobs. So i opened up a frube smoothie youghurt thing, and managed 1/2 the tube. I didnt feel any discomfort but didnt want to push it, i just wanted the grumbling to go which it did.

When we got home, i went to visit my sister and told my mum about the op. Mum was gutted and began to cry and called me a stupid girl, but she was pleased that i didnt tell her. Just need to face my dad now!

When we finally got home i continued to sip water and cups of tea.

I tried to lie down on the sofa but got pain across my shoulders so soon sat back up. I also got the grumbles again, so i had an actmel which tool about 20 minutes.

In and out of sleep all day, but even managed to tidy up the kitchen using my son to pick things up off the floor.

At 5pm i had the grumbles again, so asked hubby to make me 1/2 a tin of tomato soup.
He brought it to me in a tiny bowl and a teaspoon (bless him) but i only managed 4 spoons before i felt tension across my chest. I stopped and tried 10 minutes later but got it again...is this restriction? i dont know and im very much in tune with my body at the moment.

Ive just had another actimel.

Burping is challenging, but im managing to do it. I feel aching on my shoulders but its manageable.

Overall, the staff at claremont were wonderful.
But im not impressed with my provider so far, lets hope they make the effort to ring me tomorrow or ill be on the phone to them.
I paid the extra for their "service" so i want it.

Well its done now and im pleased.

Just taking my time with the healing process.

Sleeping on the sofa tonight as ill be in and out of sleep and at least ive got the TV down here to occupy me when awake.

Ill post again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support, its been brilliant.

Wow Tam - Nice long post hun x

Pleased that your home safely and are settling down for the night.
It was lovely that your husband and son came and stayed nearby for the night x

Hope you have a speedy recovery, also Welcome to the losers bench!

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

Just stumbled across this post and have now read it all, fantastic that you're home and it all went well, will look forward to reading more of your posts.
Take care
Wendyx

Welcome back Tam, glad all went well and looking forward to hearing about your ongoing journey x

Well done !!! And fantastic descriptive post too which will really help others as well as give you a great memory of where it all began!!!

We feel full high up in our chests, so with the swelling from the op that is going to be very similar to what restriction feels like x
Hope you're doing good today. I found that I had pains when I got home, probably after a bumpy journey!! and also when the aneathstetic (Neen can't spell) wore off completely but I know you have your after surgery kit to hand x

wow what a detailed post..im very greatful biut now super cacking it...what have i signed myself up to..... u seem very chilled out and relaxed about it but im a big baby!!

yes i have seen skymoon's youtube vid..she looks STUNNING!!

Thanks all.

Im fine again so far today, i just keep taking my ibruofen every 4 hours.
I slept on the sofa which was great, i really had a good sleep.
All is well as im sitting here sipping my actimel.
No regrets!

Good diary Tam glad your doing well. i have to say the worst part for me was the shoulder pain arrggghhh agony for 2 weeks post op no tummy pain at all just the ruddy shoulder if it weren't for that you wouldn't have even known i'd had surgery. oh and the other thing being put under anaesthetic my first time what a weird feeling of being awake and then waking up not knowing what had happened felt very surreal to me. I have been a surgical nurse for 7 years and always took it for granted wheeling a patient off to theatre trying to put them at ease:) now i know how they all felt lol hope i never need another anaesthetic lol keep posting x

Hi Tam .. thanks so much for taking the time to write out how things went for you its very good to read about somones experiances :)
Hope your feeling ok today xxx

Tam how did the surgery go mines on sunday 10/04/11 and im the same weight as you. Reading your diary i have got a few tips and im defo going to take a few pics of myself. What did you take with you to surgery? Cant wait to hear your story as you go on. Il keep you posted about me to if you want?
Danielle xx
i just looked at the other pages of comments. I feel less worried after reading what you have put tho so cheers for the insight.

Last edited:
Tam how did the surgery go mines on sunday 10/04/11 and im the same weight as you. Reading your diary i have got a few tips and im defo going to take a few pics of myself. What did you take with you to surgery? Cant wait to hear your story as you go on. Il keep you posted about me to if you want?
Danielle xx
i just looked at the other pages of comments. I feel less worried after reading what you have put tho so cheers for the insight.

Thanks Danielle, ive sent you a friends request so i can follow you too. Maybe do a diary, its really helpful to put things into perpective.
Actually going for the surgery, i took nothing. Only the gown, knickers, stockings, slippers and my dressing gown.

I think your amazin!!! Thanx for the inspiration.

Thanks Mable. Your time will come and hopefully soon. Just keep reading the boards and asking questions. I went into this surgery with my eyes wide open and a good understanding of the whole process.

wow, tam. i am so inspired. i was glued to your post and wouldnt shift until all was read.. its given me positive feelings for now. so proud of you. xx

wow, tam. i am so inspired. i was glued to your post and wouldnt shift until all was read.. its given me positive feelings for now. so proud of you. xx

Ah what a nice thing to say - that made me smile!thank you and glad i help others.

Today im feeling great and not taken any painkillers at all.

Ive received my first phone call from my provider and she seemed happy with my progress and what ive been consuming.

So far im managing:-

9am 1/2 cup of tea
10am full small bottle of actimel
1pm 1/4 small can of heinz tomato soup....watered down
3pm slimfast which takes 1 hour to get down
6pm 1/4 small can of tomato soup
9pm another actimel or cup of tea

The tomato soup at first was difficult to manage, i felt tightening across my chest after 3 teaspoons, but after talking to my provider, she said to water it down and its much better. I was so chuffed to get 1/4 can inside me.

Feeling sick when i first wake up in the morning and also feel like my organs are moving around for half an hour then im fine.

Doing my best with water intake, but generally only getting through 1 500ml bottle. I need to do better with this.

Been to town this morning and walked around for about 30 minutes and will go to the park with my son later on.

Sitting is much better but when i try to stand i feel a tugging sensation on my port area but this doesnt hurt.

Ive also been fine with my injections, even hubby was interested to see me do it last night.

Water works are fine and passing urine regular but still no bowel movement. Sorry if TMI but i did say this diary is a 'warts and all' diary.

I have noticed then i get very out of breath when i go upstairs, but a few deep breaths and im fine.

Burping is still uncomfortable, it doesnt seem to come from the chest, it feels like it goes right around my shoulders before it comes out???

No bleeding from my wounds and no bruises yet either.

Stockings are driving me mad, as the weather is so hot and my legs are on fire.

Ive got to stay on liquids for 2 weeks, and ive arranged my first appointment for 5th may at Liverpool for a check-up.

Hopefully 2 weeks after the check-up i can go back for my first fill IF ITS NEEDED. The way i feel right now, ill never want one.... LOL

Im in high spirits, weather is beautiful and ive resisted stepping on the scales. I wait like a anxious school girl for sunday morning and hopefully i will have reduced. It would be excellent to see under 19 stones.

Have a great day!

Back