• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Me and my battle with the bulge (Gastric Band)

Today is a bad day!

I really dont know what is going on. I feel like someone has stuck a bike pump up my butt and filled me with air. My left shoulder is in agony. Ive tried everything and get an hour respite then it comes back. It started this morning after i had my slimfast. I shook the bottle and i think that ive maybe consumed too many bubbles. Ive not eaten anything else today.

7 days post-op and now having the worse day!

Im going to wait for my hubby to come home then ill go for a walk to the park and see if a long walk helps.
Funnily enough, it relieves itself when i lie down.

I feel a bit daft as only this morning i was telling a newbie how bisodal shifts my wind immediately.....evidently spoke too soon.

BUT, im not going to let it get me down, it wont be forever and considering some of the pain people go through after thier op and im still very lucky.

Saw my friend today who has a 4month old baby and my son was in 'awe' of the baby....and yes, i had a thought of having a 2nd child. This has never crossed my mind before and i never get broody around kids, but with this band, i feel like things will fall into place and i actually like the idea of being slim an being pregnant. Being fat and pregnant is hard work and often un-noticed....maybe....we shall see.

I was also disappointed to read the news announcement from the moderators today. Personally i dont care about what the 'unnamed' people have done or said and wether there is evidence or not. I do not even want to hear thier side of the story as this forum is fantastic for us WLS people. It a very informative and supportive place. If the mods decide to boot someone off, no matter how good their advice and support has been in the past, i trust their judgement. And as for splitting the banders and bypassers, i think this was a great move. When you start researching about WLS you often stumble upon more bypass journeys than banders. This little section just for banders is brilliant. At the end of the day, we are all on this website for the same thing, To shift our flab with support - we just chose different methods of doing it.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank neen for all her ongoing help, support and advice. She has given me 'real' support and such a lovely person. Its not often we meet people who genuinly want us to suceed with weight loss, but with neen its 100% honesty and support.
If anybody ever deserves to reach thier goal weight, its Neen. Thankyou Neen!

My ribena has also just arrived, so im off for a nice cold drink.

Lets hope tomorrow is another nice day as ive got a full day planned with my son. Parks, forests, mountains and...wait for it.....lunch out!
(well soup is served everywhere)

Have fun everyone.

I hear you on the pregnancy thoughts. When I was pregnant with my last son I was 17st to start with and 18st full term. It was really hard work and I hated being pregnant.
My bump was all funny shaped from the fat and I felt awful, a total contrast from my first pregnancy at 14st.
The thought of being much slimmer has made me think again about another baby in the near future. Can't wait to long though, at 34 I'm classed as an older mother!! I'm not OLD!!!

Tam, thanks for your encouraging words left on my diary. I'm sure that we'll get there, we're all in it together. You're doing really well and I hope the wind 'passes' soon for you!! xx

hi Tam how are you now? is it just wind do u think? whats the pain in your arm? have to go back to work 7 days after my op and am now worried :( hope you get over this wee glip xx

I hear you on the pregnancy thoughts. When I was pregnant with my last son I was 17st to start with and 18st full term. It was really hard work and I hated being pregnant.
My bump was all funny shaped from the fat and I felt awful, a total contrast from my first pregnancy at 14st.
The thought of being much slimmer has made me think again about another baby in the near future. Can't wait to long though, at 34 I'm classed as an older mother!! I'm not OLD!!!

i hear ya. i was classed as old when i was 29! blooming cheeky gits!

fat and preg just isnt nice....loads of probs and defo not glam!

God if you were considered old I've got no chance! (39 and 3/4!)

hi tam i have just read your post and i am very moved like you i have always suffred with my weight and wanted to do something about it but was really scared i thought surgery was drastic. I am also 32 years old and met my husband whilst in a previous long term unhappy relationship and i am now so much happier my husband gives me so much support so many reasons to want to change my life we also have a 3 year old little girl and i no longer wanted to be over weight and unhappy any longer i have since moved forward and had gastric bypass surgery on febuary 15 th of this year so i am exactly 8 weeks post op and i was terrified, but it came down to it i was the only one who could make the life changes that i wanted for myself.. It is hard even after surgery its hard getting used to smaller portions but you some how manage to pull yourself through it one day at a time one obstical after the other and i believe you have made a very good choice before i had my bypass i had gastric balloon and in a year i have lost 8 and a half stones in total and this week is the first week people are really starting to notice i am delighted i have dropped 4 clothes size and i am feeling great hope all goes well for you and i hope you keep in touch good luck xx

hi tam i have just read your post and i am very moved like you i have always suffred with my weight and wanted to do something about it but was really scared i thought surgery was drastic. I am also 32 years old and met my husband whilst in a previous long term unhappy relationship and i am now so much happier my husband gives me so much support so many reasons to want to change my life we also have a 3 year old little girl and i no longer wanted to be over weight and unhappy any longer i have since moved forward and had gastric bypass surgery on febuary 15 th of this year so i am exactly 8 weeks post op and i was terrified, but it came down to it i was the only one who could make the life changes that i wanted for myself.. It is hard even after surgery its hard getting used to smaller portions but you some how manage to pull yourself through it one day at a time one obstical after the other and i believe you have made a very good choice before i had my bypass i had gastric balloon and in a year i have lost 8 and a half stones in total and this week is the first week people are really starting to notice i am delighted i have dropped 4 clothes size and i am feeling great hope all goes well for you and i hope you keep in touch good luck xx

Thanks donna, how similar are stories are.
Well done on your weight loss that fantastic.
I just hope i do as well
xx

hi Tam how are you now? is it just wind do u think? whats the pain in your arm? have to go back to work 7 days after my op and am now worried :( hope you get over this wee glip xx

Hi Maura,

Great today...so far.
I posted on the main board last night as i was in pure agony.
I think the root cause was eating way too fast.
Today im going to eat very slow and ill report back later on this evening.

Hi Tam - Been catching up with how you are getting on hun x

Very pleased to hear you are feeling better this morning....afraid one of the downfulls of eating too fast, also makes me quite sick (sorry tmi) It also teaches me to eat a lot more slowly.

Have a good day hun x

Love Kat x

hope eating slower makes a difference...xx

Today has been much better.

By god was in agony yesterday and it was all down to eating / drinking too fast!
I had a whole slimfast in 15 minutes and half a can of soup in minutes.
Its really not a nice feeling.

I also told this to my provide when she called today and she agreed. My insides have been battered and are very tender, i must learn to slow down. Other than that she seemed pleased with my progress and next week i can move onto mushed food. I cannot wait for mash potato!

Ive not eaten well at all today as ive been very bloated, probably a isde effect to yesterday. Ive managed half a tube of the innocent fruit tubes (20g) and 1 teaspoon of sugar free jelly. Im not hungry.

Went out with my sisters today to a kids play area, and they ordered food. They picked up the adult menu and began to choose. I realised that going forward ill be able to order from the kids menu which we all found quite funny.

My plasters are starting to look wrinkly as im obviously shrinking. Looking forward to the staples coming out on friday as they are starting to pull as im moving or bending.

Im going to have a shower tonight and attempt to shave my legs - they have gotten a bit overgrown since the operation as i couldnt bend. Hubby did offer but thats just unfair on him.

Nothing else to report

ah good for you Tam... another mental note for me today.. my wee brain cant take it all lol... bisodol, eat slow, theres so much to educate yourself lol. i have the memory of a fish.. what was i saying there lol

EAT / DRINK SLOW!!!

Oh yes! Ive been great today.
I was not hungry this morning but about 10am i managed fruit tube which took 10 minutes for 20g.
At 2pm i had half a can of soup which took 20 minutes and 5pm i had another 1/4 can of soup which took 15 minutes. You definately have to sip slowly to prevent shoulder pain / trapped wind.
Ive been taking tiny sips or teaspoon mouthfulls, swilling around my mouth to fully taste before swallowing. Im then waiting about 30 seconds before the next lot hits my mouth, so its about 40 seconds between swallows.

The above got me thinking about how im going to handle eating food in the canteen in work at snail speed and ive decided to have my lunch at 1.30pm when the majority of people have already been and gone, then im going to take a book with me and read a few paragraphs between mouthfulls.

Received a letter from my provider today informaing me of the support groups around the country over the next 3 months. There is only really 1 i could attend as they are all too far away. But do i want to attend them?
Im not the type of person to sit in a group, i didnt like stopping behing for weight wathers meetings.
I feel like i get enough support from this website and would rather meet with you lot than complete strangers. Im not sure if i will go - But im considering it.

My exercise has been really poor, im not impressed with myself at all. Why am i finding it so hard to get off my butt and go for a walk. I really dont mind when the weather is nice.
I also live in a really hilly village. No matter which way i go, i hit a big hill (2nd gear job in the car) and i know i cant do them at the moment as still going up the stairs has me breathless.

I asked my provider about the breathlessness and she said it was absolutely normal and its mainly caused by the diaphram as it got a battering during surgery. I must admit it is getting better every day.

Looking forward to my staples coming out tomorrow and really cannot wait for my weigh in on sunday, and even more excited about going on mushies on tuesday.

Ill be back in work, so im going to have an actimel and fruit tube for breakfast. Soup from the canteen for lunch and mashed potato with gravy for dinner.

Right.....im going to go for a quick walk, writing the above has motivated me.

wow, cant believe sunday is near upon you again for your weigh in. you have just talked yourself into going for a walk so thats good too. have lost 4 lb from monday so i am doing well thank goodness. wish my op was over with as i am getting very nervous. i know this is normal. i agree with you about this forum.. its great sharing our opinions and views and getting advice. its made me more confident about my op.........roll on 1 week 6 days lol

Yes i went for a 30 minute walk. So proud of myself.
I had a stich half way so i had to slow down a little bit, but when i got home i felt much better.

Tomorrow im going to take my son out for the day as my sisters have phoned me and BOTH OF THEM ARE PREGNANT!!!! I feel sick as both are not in good situations to have more. 1 had a disabled som who cannot walk or feed himself and the other has 2 kids by 2 different dads and cant cope with them.
Ill support them as i usually do, but im more worried about my mum. This will worry her real bad.

Rant over, it really does help typing your fustrations.

SSSSHHHHhhhh.....ive just had some easter egg

good for you going for a walk.. bit by bit. hope it wasnt too much easter egg. hows your pains and strains now?

good for you going for a walk.. bit by bit. hope it wasnt too much easter egg. hows your pains and strains now?

It was about a quater of half an egg shell, so not much considering in the past i would have already had about 5 whole easter eggs by now.:eek:

No pains at all now im eating slow and the only strain is when im lying on my sides at night, but thats just the staples im hoping.
Its all good, and it wont be long now until you know exactly what im talking about!:)

Made this kids a picnic today and i so badly wanted a sandwich and some walkers ready salted crisps. I settled for a pot of custard but the head demons were driving me mad.

Had my staples out and YES it did hurt. There was 16 in total and i felt every single one being taken out by the nurse. She has given me 1 plaster to cover my port wound but the others have practically disappeared.

Ive also finished my injections which is good as i hated doing it every night.

Taking the family to a farm park tomorrow. This involves feeding the animals, walking, egg hunting, walking, adventure playground, walking, duck feeding and more walking. Im doing a packed lunch for the family and taking some fruit tubes for me and some soup in a flask.
I know i should wait until next tuesday to move to mushy stage, but i want to move onto it on Sunday. The main reason being is that i dont want my 1st day on mushies to be when im in work incase im sick or something. So sunday im making a homemade fish pie and i cannot wait...i can smell it when i close my eyes.

Update on my pregnant sisters....they both are still undecided!

Back