• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My journey begins here...

Geordie lass

Hello everyone. I am back in my private suite after spending 24 hours in ICU! the operation went well but I had issues with my blood sugars and my heart rate kept dropping. I am feeling much better today but a little sore. During my stay in ICU I had a cannula that tissued causing my arm and hand to swell. My other cannula site became loose and I had a pool of blood all over my bed! Not a good start to this sleeved side but I know it will get better. Hope you are all doing well. Will check back in soon. Take care, M x

Well done! You are on the other side now - just take it easy and concentrate on recovery.

Wow, sounds a little scary but glad you're ok! Now lots of R&R.

Is anything different to what you expected? Any tips or advice for a pre-opper now you're a POST opper (woop for you!!) x

Rest up and get well soon xxx

rest and have a speedy recovery

2days post op and I feel much better. Still very sore but the pain is minimal. Had such great care here at the Leeds Nuffield. Going home today so will recover much quicker in my own environment. I started drinking strawberry milk yesterday which was a little painful when it hit my stomach. I am guessing it is wind pain. Been moving and walking around a bit. Just sooooo tired. Was woken up every two hours last night to check my blood sugars. Everything else seems ok. The surgeon came to visit last night and he said my operation couldn't have been more perfect. So, I was happy with that. He said that I will be a new person within one year. Woohoo! Thank you all for your thoughts and support. I really appreciate that. I know all this discomfort and pain will be worth it in the end! M x

Mrsduck, I was surprised how little pain I had after the surgery, just discomfort like I had been kicked in the stomach! The care I have had has been fantastic at the Leeds Nuffield. Nothing more different to what I expected. I did a lot of research and followed others advice, especially about walking around and drinking small sips of water. Good luck with your surgery.

:)
2days post op and I feel much better. Still very sore but the pain is minimal. Had such great care here at the Leeds Nuffield. Going home today so will recover much quicker in my own environment. I started drinking strawberry milk yesterday which was a little painful when it hit my stomach. I am guessing it is wind pain. Been moving and walking around a bit. Just sooooo tired. Was woken up every two hours last night to check my blood sugars. Everything else seems ok. The surgeon came to visit last night and he said my operation couldn't have been more perfect. So, I was happy with that. He said that I will be a new person within one year. Woohoo! Thank you all for your thoughts and support. I really appreciate that. I know all this discomfort and pain will be worth it in the end! M x

Mrsduck, I was surprised how little pain I had after the surgery, just discomfort like I had been kicked in the stomach! The care I have had has been fantastic at the Leeds Nuffield. Nothing more different to what I expected. I did a lot of research and followed others advice, especially about walking around and drinking small sips of water. Good luck with your surgery.

Hi Geordie Lass

Just came across your posts, so glad your surgery went well and you are on the mend, I am pre op for a sleeve I am meant to be going to Nuffield leeds too, was glad to read you found them good and that you where not in too much pain after the op, look forward to reading your post op posts all the best for your journey :)

welcome to the other side rest and heal now and good luck

Well, I am 1 week post op and feel fantastic. I sneakily weighed myself this morning and I am another 7lbs down. Woohoo! I have my dietician calling me next Wednesday so will see how my weight goes then. I am sooo over this liquid diet. Can't wait to get back into real food. My fluid intake isn't as good as what is should be. I am probably managing about 1 litre per day. I just can't physically fit anymore in! My calorie intake is about 500 cals per day too! Feel full all the time, which is great. Will keep you posted once I have spoken to the dietician. Take care, M x

Glad to read you're well. What kind of liquids are you having? Do you think slim fast shakes would work? I'm on them for my pre-op diet at the mo, and I'm quite enjoying them!

Take care x

Glad to read you're well. What kind of liquids are you having? Do you think slim fast shakes would work? I'm on them for my pre-op diet at the mo, and I'm quite enjoying them!

Take care x

Hi MrsDuck. I currently have a milky coffee for breakfast, an optifast chocolate protein shake for lunch (bought these in Australia when I lived there last year and brought some back with me!) They are similar to slim fast. Then I have a soup for dinner. In between all of this I try to fit in 250ml of protein water each day. Glad to hear your pre op diet is going well. Keep it up. M x

I struggled big time with getting the fluids in I did my best and as time went on I managed to increase them bit by bit :)

Two week post op update...weighed myself this morning to find that I have lost another 7lbs over the last week. I have one week left on my liquids then it's onto the puréed foods for 4 weeks. I am itching to get back to the gym, which will hopefully be in two weeks time! I can't believe how much I am missing working out! I am feeling pretty good for being two weeks post op, just having a bit of dizziness every now and again. My dietician called me today and was happy with my progress, and gave me a bit of advice for the next stage. So, overall everything is going pretty well! I was concerned about gall stones as I have read about people having been sleeved and needing to have their gall bladder removed due to fast weight loss causing gall stones. Any advice on that one would be appreciated, anything to avoid getting gall stones! Hope you are all doing well in this sleeved life! Take care, M x

Hello Geordie Lass, it's hard work isn't it?! I'm 9 days post op and I feel fine until I try and do something energetic and then I need to have a whole rest day! I'm also struggling to get the liquids in, have only managed 1.5L for the past 3 days but I don't think this is enough as I've had terrible diarrhoea (sorry,tmi) for the past 6 days. I've started on ice lollies today and I've frozen some yoghurt in ice trays so I can suck liquids as well as drinking them. I got my staples out this morning, that was a great feeling as the itchiness was driving me mad. I've lost 8lb since surgery day which I'm proud of but my bariatric nurse said that was a little slow?!!!! Really? I think it's a great start! I'm now 30lb down in 3.5 weeks I've never done that before! X

Hello Geordie Lass, it's hard work isn't it?! I'm 9 days post op and I feel fine until I try and do something energetic and then I need to have a whole rest day! I'm also struggling to get the liquids in, have only managed 1.5L for the past 3 days but I don't think this is enough as I've had terrible diarrhoea (sorry,tmi) for the past 6 days. I've started on ice lollies today and I've frozen some yoghurt in ice trays so I can suck liquids as well as drinking them. I got my staples out this morning, that was a great feeling as the itchiness was driving me mad. I've lost 8lb since surgery day which I'm proud of but my bariatric nurse said that was a little slow?!!!! Really? I think it's a great start! I'm now 30lb down in 3.5 weeks I've never done that before! X

That's great Stacey, well done on your weight loss. What a relief to get your staples out. I had dissolvable stitches so didn't need to return for a check up. In fact, I am 18 days post op and not had any check ups or anything, apart from a call from my dietician. Some after care I am having with The Hospital Group!! I too am only getting in less than 1.5 litres of fluid per day. My stomach just can't physically take anymore than that...maybe that's why I have been feeling a little dizzy over the past few days! Keep up the good work. M x

1 month post op now and feeling great. Since my 2 week post op weigh in I have lost another 10lbs! I am so pleased with my weight loss since my pre op diet. Total lost to date is now 35lbs. I really didn't think I would lose so much quite so soon! M x

doing good congrats on the loss

Thanks princess. I'm still on the pureed foods for another two weeks. Getting a bit sick of the mushy stuff tbh! I can't wait to be back on normal food again. It seems like ages since I was eating normally!! How are you getting on? M x

Hello fellow weight losers! I can't believe that I am already 2 months post surgery. I am now officially in ONEDERLAND! A place where I've not been in about 8 years. I am so pleased with my progress. I've not had a stall yet, but I know that will happen at some point. I have had a loss every week and my total loss to date is 51lbs! My stomach is healing nicely and I've only over done the eating once since being back on normal eating! That was not a pleasant experience and I certainly won't be going there again. It's a horrible feeling to think that you cannot do anything about the discomfort of eating that one bite too much....just have to wait it out until the feeling passes! I continue to exercise at the gym every day during the week and have started back with my running. My calorie intake is still only 500-600cals per day and I burn more than this at the gym! I have lost 7" from my chest; 8" from my waist and 8" from my hips. I have gone from a UK size 22-24 to a size 16. So, my journey continues...hope everyone is doing well. Will update next month. M x

Well done on your great achievement, good luck with the rest of the journey x

Back