• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No funding for me :(

bloody gets i whish i could do something so sorry. xxx

I'm new to the forum Caren, but have read so many of your wonderful posts supporting other members, and just want to add my words of sympathy to you.
It is so unfair that PCTs criteria differs so much from county to county, so really hope you will stay strong and appeal against their decision. I wish you all the luck in the world x

I'm new to the forum Caren, but have read so many of your wonderful posts supporting other members, and just want to add my words of sympathy to you.
It is so unfair that PCTs criteria differs so much from county to county, so really hope you will stay strong and appeal against their decision. I wish you all the luck in the world x
thank you amanda, so very kind of you :) xxx

go back to your gp unfirtunately they are not very experienced in applying for funding, The case you need to make is that not doing the operation will cost the nhs more in teh long term with any other co morbidities good luck

go back to your gp unfirtunately they are not very experienced in applying for funding, The case you need to make is that not doing the operation will cost the nhs more in teh long term with any other co morbidities good luck
Thanks Judy, i dont think my gp is very happy with me having a bypass anyway, so im going to change doctors xxx

Thanks Judy, i dont think my gp is very happy with me having a bypass anyway, so im going to change doctors xxx

Oh good luck, Caren -- I really hope you find a more supportive GP and have more success with the next one. :)

Having a GP who is 100% behind the referral helps enormously. For 8 years I thought that bypass was never going to be an option for me, as I had asked GP after GP (I have moved a few times and had registered with various different GPs during 2003 - 2009 in Kilburn, Greenwich, Hackney and other areas).

Every time I got told no / turned down / given Xenical / fobbed off ........ it started to pee me off when I kept reading in the papers about "gastric bypass patients cost the NHS blah blah amount" I kept wondering -- how? what bypass patients? Because not one single GP seemed to ever be willing to refer me (my weight was over 20 stone at age 35 in 2003 and BMI very nearly 50 then).

Then in 2009 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes by my (then) Hackney GP ...... and both he and his nurse sort of mumbled at the time, "Oh well, yes, bypass might be an option now you have BMI above 50 and Type 2 Diabetes but....." but they wanted to "give me a year" to see how I would cope with the Diabetes !!!

Then in January 2011 i had some sort of "right time, right place" moment where everything slipped into place. I went to see my NEW gp in my new area to get him to sign a form for Lighter Life and he refused (!!) -- he said it was rubbish and I would put all the weight back on and why did I want to do such a nonsense, ridiculous, expensive programme (this is a GP who earns at least 3 times what I do!) and why hadn't I thought of a gastric bypass ?????I

He was Mr Fabulous from start to finish -- it was entirely his idea to refer me (rather than me begging for once!) and he was 100% supportive.

PM me if you want the name of that GP or to "borrow" my address and pretend you are living where I was living in Jan 2011 !!!!!

Awwww Caren that sucks!!!
hope you can find a GP who will support you hun xx Dont give up!! xx

You do you have sleep apnea if you have a cpap machine you must be moderate to severe please don't let them grind you down and don't let them brain wash you into your not suitable yet ask them straight do I have to put two stone on to qualify I know what it's like to fight them but please keep that fight going keep strong
You've always been there for us so we're all supporting you just wiish my numbers come up your top of my list take care caren

You do you have sleep apnea if you have a cpap machine you must be moderate to severe please don't let them grind you down and don't let them brain wash you into your not suitable yet ask them straight do I have to put two stone on to qualify I know what it's like to fight them but please keep that fight going keep strong
You've always been there for us so we're all supporting you just wiish my numbers come up your top of my list take care caren
yes i have sleep apnoea, but on my hospital records it says i have it mild, its a strict critera to have it severe for my pct. There isnt an option to just have a very high bmi, or i would eat for england lol not that i dont now!!

I'm sorry Caren. Hope you can get it sorted. I can't say more than anybody else has.
Stay strong xx
Lynne x

yes i have sleep apnoea, but on my hospital records it says i have it mild, its a strict critera to have it severe for my pct. There isnt an option to just have a very high bmi, or i would eat for england lol not that i dont now!!

What is your PCT's funding criteria like if Diabetes is added to the mix .....?

You could always deliberately *fail* a few blood tests ...... not follow the "do not eat or drink for 12 hours before hand" rules (and possibly more than once -- you would need to register as Diabetic with high sugar in your blood each time, both with your GP initially, and possibly also at the hospital's bariatric clinic ..... but later on down the route your blood tests could return to normal and you might say "Oh, great, that must be because I've been taking the metformin!" etc etc !!!)

Someone will probably come and tell me off for suggesting this ..... but some people *do* end up eating too much deliberately to reach the BMI >50 level for this precise reason (funding issues) so I don't see much difference really.

What is your PCT's funding criteria like if Diabetes is added to the mix .....?

You could always deliberately *fail* a few blood tests ...... not follow the "do not eat or drink for 12 hours before hand" rules (and possibly more than once -- you would need to register as Diabetic with high sugar in your blood each time, both with your GP initially, and possibly also at the hospital's bariatric clinic ..... but later on down the route your blood tests could return to normal and you might say "Oh, great, that must be because I've been taking the metformin!" etc etc !!!)

Someone will probably come and tell me off for suggesting this ..... but some people *do* end up eating too much deliberately to reach the BMI >50 level for this precise reason (funding issues) so I don't see much difference really.
great idea sharon, only it wont make any difference, the criteria is severe sleep apnoea and/or diabetes. There is no funding for just a high bmi. I'm now considering a sleeve abroad :) x

Oh Caren, I'm absolutely gutted for you. Wish I knew what else you could do, different PCT's have different criteria ...I just don't understand why !

I hope your GP can sort this out for you?

XX

Oh Caren, I am so sorry!!!! After all the support you give everyone else and all the waiting, you surely deserve it!!!!! I hope you can sort something out with your sleeve abroad, but make wise decisions.
Love & hugs xxx

Can you use the man who took his pct to court as a test case? Contact your MP and reference the case. Gotta be worth a try chick xxx

Back