• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op and me.

metherer

So, tomorrow I have my pre op at Spire Leeds, for my RNY on 11th March.

To be honest it still all feels a bit unreal. I've been incredibly fortunate in that I only started this journey at the start of December, so knowing that I could be done and dusted in less than 3.5 months start to finish just seems mental.

I can't decide how I feel right now. It is a heady mix of giddy, excited, and downright scared I think. I've never had surgery, haven't been under general anaesthetic since the mid nineties, never even had a hospital admission, though I've spent plenty of time in them visiting hubby.

I can't wait to start my new life. How often are we given a second chance? A do over, if you will. And yet here I am. The NHS and my surgeon obviously believe in me, that I'll make the most of the opportunity presented to me, and I really don't want to let anyone down, not least myself.

I currently weigh around 23.5 stone. I'm 5' 7", and 32 years old. At the age of 17 I was 21 stone, and at 13 or thereabouts I was wearing adult sized clothes. I have never been slim, or especially fit, so I'm really excited about the possibilities.

Who will the new me be? Will I still be as shy, or will I feel happier a bit closer to the spotlight? What will my style be like? I love mid century styling, but have never been able to fit into it. (I'm a 28/30)

Anyway, enough. I need to sleep, ready for my appointment tomorrow. Need to take in all the details for my liver shrink diet, and can then hit leeds after. My credit card might be a little tender by the time I'm done!

Helen

Hope all goes well with your pre-op appointment today, Helen :) Three and a half months is very quick indeed! Is that with the NHS/Leeds PCT? Or are you a private patient? Anyway, best of luck with your journey and your pre-op diet and one day in the not too distant future you should be able to dress mid-century style ;) x

Thanks Samsara. Not long for us now!

I'm an NHS patient, but I think part of the speed was that I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes in 2006 or 2007, when I was 26 or 27. More normally diagnosed age 50+ apparently. Also have foot problems, and am cared for my husband when he needs it, so I think all than went in my favour.

Sat on the train now, more nervous than I thought I would be.

You'll be fine! When you said the credit card will be tender I didn't know if you meant it was because you were having to pay the balance for your op! But I guess it means retail therapy after your appointment?! Enjoy ;)

Well, that was ok. It wasn't a promising start as although they had sent me a letter with my appointment on, they hadn't actually told the clinic so nobody was expecting me! They managed to fit me in thankfully, since it took me over an hour to get there.

Had an ECG, which was really fast, then went and sat with the dietician to go through a questionnaire. Ended up in tears, though I had expected I would so took the precaution of wearing waterproof mascara. I'm not right good at talking about myself.

Then down to see two of the nurses. Urine sample, Mrsa swabs, instructions on the special shower gel they have given me to use prior to admission.

Then up to see the main bariatric nurse. She had another questionnaire, took lots of blood, and gave me information on what will happen when I am admitted.

All in all, it took just over two hours. Felt a bit faint but couldn't decide if it was because of the blood work, or the fact it was past my lunch time.

Haven't ended up doing much shopping- it is a drizzly miserable day- so now on the train back to Skipton. When I get home I shall read all the bumpf they have given me, including the 10 day diet I need to do. 800 cals it is.

Helen.

I'm starting the diet today, to give me two days to adjust before starting in earnest on Friday. If I remember I'll type it up so everyone can see what info I've been given.

Having a banana oatmeal smoothie for breakfast so that is my entire days allowance of milk gone.

I have carrot sticks and an orange with me, as it is my half day at work so I can have actual lunch at two when I get home. This is just to stop me munching on the flapjack and butterfly buns that my colleague brought in yesterday.

This afternoon I need to chop a load of chicken breasts up into 2 oz portions, as that is my protein allowance at each meal. I figure if they are ready prepped into that portion then it will make life easier.

Ok, on my way to work so will update again later.

Helen.

Good Luck Metherer, I am having a band on the 11th too. I am on day 3 of my pre op diet. Today hasn't been easy as I have had lots of temptations in town- McDonalds, smells etc. But I have stuck at it-I have lost 4 lb in 2 days-whoop whoop!

I have my pre op appointment on the 4th. I wasn't sure what to expect, but your post has helped.

Wishing you lots of luck. It's tough the pre op but you can do it. Keep a picture of how you'll look in 6 months time in your head also keep busy. Wishing you sucess.keep us posted. You can do it.

How I was going to look was keeping me going but was told today I am expecting way too much and after all is said and done ill still be fat. Gutted. X

I'm finding it quite hard to imagine what I'll look like, as I have never been slim, or even just average.

Tea this evening was 2oz chicken with wilted spinach.

Breakfast tomorrow will be a banana oat smoothie, and lunch is chicken, tomato, cucumber, spring onion, radish an fat free dressing. Have also got some corn thins (corn equivalent of rice cakes) to help bulk it out.

Helen.

I've attached photos of the pre op diet info I was given. As you'll see, there isn't a lot of info so I'm just going to try to follow the suggested meal plan every day. You can have a third of a pint of milk a day.

We thought that for some meals we might have veg in a cheese sauce, using our cheese and milk allowances, just to try and change it up a bit. Otherwise it is going to be v Boring.

Helen.

Attachments

• image-3648642870.jpg
    image-3648642870.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2465279336.jpg
    image-2465279336.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 54
Ok, so Friday was the first official day on the diet.

Breakfast was a banana oat smoothie.
Lunch was chicken salad with half a baked potato.
Dinner was the nearest I can get to pizza on this diet. A slice of toast with tomato purée, slices of red pepper, and a slice of weight watchers reduced fat cheese. Fun fact- the cheese doesn't melt.

Just a quick update, as am low on battery. Allegedly I've lost about a half stone already. I'll wait and see what the official weight is next week though.

Had a prawn salad for lunch as I was out, and had a dry stir fry for tea, with soy sauce and some light cheese for protein.

Feelin pretty good about it at the mo.

well, less than a week to go now, and i have started getting nervous.

Meals are getting really repetitive and boring, which I wanted to avoid. I caved and had Mexican bean chilli for lunch, the healthy option from work. It was with half a baked potato and mixed leaves. I was so desperate to have something with real flavour.

Given the alternatives, i did a lot better than i could have done. There was a cake sale, buns and flapjack within the team, and the other main was huge homemade pork burgers with jerk sauce, chips etc.

Back to the chicken or cheese salad tomorrow, oh the joys. At least I started the diet early, in case of failures like this.

Thanks. Today I took goodies in for the team as it is my birthday tomorrow, I figures that if i took them today I would only have to resist for half a day, as I finished at 1.30. Tomorrow I'm hoping most of it will be gone, so there is less to tempt me.

Lots of exercise this afternoon as I dismantled my bed, moved it, and then brought a new (to me) bed through to my room. It weighs a ton as it is an adjustable one. Mum was wanting rid of it, and it is a really comfy bed, so I gladly swapped my king size for this even though it s a single. My room looks huge now!

Tea was chicken, sweet corn and carrots.

Seriously brain, waking me up at this time is NOT OK.

It seems my body has just realised what i'm about to do. I woke up remembering I forgot to ask one of my colleagues to do something, so have fired an email off. I have also woken up with digital dermatitis, which is usually stress induced for me. Trying to resist scratching my fingers as I know that will make it worse, but OMG soooo itchy.

To give myself the best possible chance I have decided to fast tomorrow in the hope my liver will shrink down even more. I have some appesat appetite control capsules left, which I'll take to keep me feeling full. I want to do everything possible to avoid the risk of having to have open surgery.

Today, at a more normal time, I am going to write out my packing list so that I won't forget anything. Have bought ear plugs in case it is noisy, but don't think I will need them. Still, better safe than sorry.

I picked up some Dole apple puree squeezie things last night, which I'll stick in the fridge for when I get back.

Right, going to attempt to go back to sleep. Night all.

Less than 24 hours to go.

I'm going to be up at half four tomorrow so that I can shower and double check I have everything I need. Taxi at half five, train at 5.47, to be in to Leeds for half six and out to spire just before seven. Brutal.

Was really bricking it this morning, but feeling a lot calmer now. I've packed my bag, decluttered my handbag, and packed my meds into the bag provided.

This evening, just before I go to bed, I'm going to lay my clothes out ready, so that I have one less thing to do.

I'm nil by mouth from midnight, so I need to make sure I hide my water bottle so that I don't automatically take a sip in the morning. I know how much I run on autopilot in a morning, even when I haven't had to get up at sparrow's fart.

So, I'll see you all on the other side.

Helen
X

Back