• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Revision: Plication(wrap) to Bypass.

Anon1986

So, here shall be a place of rambling and whatever I feel like writing here.

History:
Been large since, forever. It became more of an issue after I started working from home. I tried seeking help from my local GP but I was just below the BMI level and refused to put on a few lbs to be accepted. Despite trying to explain my efforts over the past few years. I could have gone to some form of group therapy, a weird weight loss group chat thing for 6 months. It took me years to get the courage to speak to my doctor, never mind a bunch of strangers. They wouldn't even give me Orlistat, but I did end up trying this, not from my doctor though, and had a few bad side effects (Not just poop related issues). I however was self employed and my income had an explosive few months so I paid for a Gastric Plication.

Gastric Plication:
I had my wrap in Feb 2012, and it worked for a year and I lost just over 90lbs at once point. But once my pouch started stretching I lost all momentum and eventually started gaining.
Wasn't just the stretching that was at fault, due to the freedom I had with eating again I fell back into my old habbits and I'm pretty much in the exact same situation I was 2 years and £6k ago.

Right, so! Operation is booked for the 12th of February.

I was debating between this company @ £6450 or a UK company @ £9950, the travel to France has cost me nearly £400 though.
I've never been one for caring about money so the saving £3k wasn't the main selling point. The surgeon seemed more impressive from the French company, specially for bariatric surgery.

The preop diet I've been asked to follow seems to have a lot of freedom.
I'm hoping with a BMI of 36 this is all the diet I need to shrink my liver, I shall however try to cut down my daily fat intake to a literal zero for 7 days before the op.
Pre-op Diet:
Diet sheet sent by consultant.
Day 1
Day 2

I was going to post the daily food during the pre-op in collapsed spoiler tags but wlsurgery.com doesn't seem to use them. Which is odd considering it's a small free plugin for this forum software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ive stuck to my diet, and then some. I figured the last 7days i should be harsher. only ate foods high in protein and not many of them.

Setting off Monday morning at 3am, packed my bags:

Jeans
Loose trousers
T-shirts
Boxers
A razor
Passport
Medical prints, insurance prints, tickets
Kindle
Tablet
Few Euros
Tooth brush
Slippers

Forgotten anything?

Tempted to take my laptop, but will be more to carry for the return trip. Plane, 2 trains and a taxi.

Make sure you have sufficient money to eat Mon & Tue lunch & dinner, plus tea coffee water etc.... :)
There are cash machines opposite in The Mall, 5min walk away.
Is anyone else booked in hotel / having surgery ??

Make sure you have sufficient money to eat Mon & Tue lunch & dinner, plus tea coffee water etc.... :)
There are cash machines opposite in The Mall, 5min walk away.
Is anyone else booked in hotel / having surgery ??

I grabbed 50 euros but I'll have my bank card with me as well.
I've no idea if anyone else is having surgery, didn't ask.

Is monday/tuesday lunch stuck to the diet or diet off as it's to late to effect the liver?

Surprised I'm not worried about the op really, the only doubt I've had is while shopping. Seeing things I can't eat for a year or possibly ever again etc, harsh thoughts but a small price for end goal.

I grabbed 50 euros but I'll have my bank card with me as well.
I've no idea if anyone else is having surgery, didn't ask.

Is monday/tuesday lunch stuck to the diet or diet off as it's to late to effect the liver?

Surprised I'm not worried about the op really, the only doubt I've had is while shopping. Seeing things I can't eat for a year or possibly ever again etc, harsh thoughts but a small price for end goal.

I wasn't either, partly due to our previous experience. It's obv nothing like being wrapped but you mentioned you'd had no side effects whereas I did.

No, your told go eat what you've want & drink what you want, Mon I had late continental breakfast so no lunch needed then blood tests etc and with my dinner of chicken,salad,small fries with 2 glasses wine.

Tue I had late lunch, v.late after that awful event (endoscopy) and glass wine!!!!! Small thin crust pizza, obv didn't eat it all, skipped dinner as ate so late. Had 2 cappuccinos & couple bicci' s before bed. Your not allowed to eat after midnite Mon or Tue but I was in bed by then both nites.

The desire to eat is currently absolutely non existent, I've not followed their post op diet, I wasn't confident with it at all. I posted for help here & was very kindly sent one that The Hospital Group recommends, 4wks fluid, 2wks puree, 2wks soft 9wks+ General.
I've chosen to stick to this so that new tum gets best possible chance to heal. (Happy to share if you want copy). Our operations are far more extensive than standard by-pass. 4-5hrs in theatre.
XX

Well ive stuck to my diet, and then some. I figured the last 7days i should be harsher. only ate foods high in protein and not many of them.

Setting off Monday morning at 3am, packed my bags:

Jeans
Loose trousers
T-shirts
Boxers
A razor
Passport
Medical prints, insurance prints, tickets
Kindle
Tablet
Few Euros
Tooth brush
Slippers

Forgotten anything?

Tempted to take my laptop, but will be more to carry for the return trip. Plane, 2 trains and a taxi.

Plug Adaptor
Mouth spray as get so dry,
Vaseline fir lips
Ticket
Camera or phone n charger
Jim jams?

Good luck

previous bander, now awaiting by pass or sleeve this year.

Plug Adaptor
Mouth spray as get so dry,
Vaseline fir lips
Ticket
Camera or phone n charger
Jim jams?

Good luck

Phone charger I need to buy a new one, shall attempt to get one in town today otherwise I get to buy airport ones :/.
Phone/tablet/kindle etc all take same charger (<3 standardization)
I've never used Vaseline or dry mouth spray and don't recall noticing anything during my wrap with was the same hospital stay, would my mouth be drier for a bypass than it was for a gastric wrap?
Tickets is already in the list ;)
Jim Jams, I fear I'm a guy who has never worn them even as a kid, but I do have loose jogging trousers and larger tshirts and such that I've packed. (Very Loose)

And yea Clare, I've seen there post op and it looks a bit rushed. I seem to remember the wrap being more strict which makes little sense, I plan to stick to liquids for 3-4 weeks as well.
Providing I can keep myself busy to combat the mental hunger it should be fine :)

Only thing I'm actually worried over is that during my Gastric Wrap the surgeon said I had some form of hernia would might make revision complicated, he however never said what type or gave me any details about it.
I told Tulia this and she said she'd checked with the surgeon, who said if there is a problem with one they'll fix it during the surgery. It does however place a doubt in my mind of getting there and finding out I can't have it done :/

Today I'll be off to town and try to buy a TV I saw on offer, be nice if I could have a TV to watch when I get back since mine so kindly broke Friday night :/. Since when I return I don't want to be carrying a new TV around and setting it up etc, or rather shouldn't be doing*.

Last edited:
Ooooo u r same day as wenny and I, all 13th babes. Triplets! Lol.

Dry mouth spray is a godsend when not drinking much n Vaseline in tiny pot stops lips cracking or being dry.
Hope u get on ok. Ali x

Plug chargers available available in Super Drug or Tescos.
I didn't bother with dry mouth spray cleaned teeth & gargled BUT I'd get some, you have op Wed & get no food or drink until Fri (I think - I know it's a bloody long time) double check that one!.....

They'll find hernia during endoscopy & thought I'd got one that they were happy to fix during surgery but fortunately I hadn't so try not to fret. Which is easier said than done I know as I felt exactly the same.

Good good luck with telly shopping x

Got a phone adapter today...

Along with a new shiny 50" TV that I had mess around getting as it wouldn't fit in my car and had to go borrow a bigger car then I get home and the god damn screen is cracked in 3 places ...

Now I have to take it back on Sunday after surgery and get it changed :(, I was really hoping to get my TV sorted before, plus messing around returning and installing a 50" TV the day after I return probably isn't a great idea.
I do hope I can get an exchange not a refund though, as it was a great price @ £379.

Along with a new shiny 50" TV that I had mess around getting as it wouldn't fit in my car and had to go borrow a bigger car then I get home and the god damn screen is cracked in 3 places ...

Now I have to take it back on Sunday after surgery and get it changed :(, I was really hoping to get my TV sorted before, plus messing around returning and installing a 50" TV the day after I return probably isn't a great idea.
I do hope I can get an exchange not a refund though, as it was a great price @ £379.

What a pain in the ar$e!!!!
No chance of getting a buddy to sort it for you whilst your away???
Its a shame it bloody decided to go pop at the last minute for you!

What a pain in the ar$e!!!!
No chance of getting a buddy to sort it for you whilst your away???
Its a shame it bloody decided to go pop at the last minute for you!

Has to be me, I always pay by card for electronics. It's the best way for future issues and such.

O ffs! U must have someone who can sort for you ??? Hope so

Not really, maybe.. shall have to waut and see.

Sat in the hotel o france waiting my consultancy now

Not really, maybe.. shall have to waut and see.

Sat in the hotel o france waiting my consultancy now

Ooooo exciting :)

So far as expected. They took enough blood to run an army of tests though.
The 2hour wait for the antithesis wasnt fun though.

He told me he would have to remove part of my stomach, they didn't tell you this upfront right? If not then I guess hes expecting to have the same with me and is preparing for it.
I did find it ammusing that thw surgeon is easy amnoywd by Tulia though.

Back