• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Survived my first day!!

Reenary

Hello!
So I started my pre op diet today and survived. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but it's only day 1!!

I've had a horrible stomach bug since getting back from holiday on Sunday and in some ways I think it's helped as my appetite isn't really there! I've had the have an Imodium this morning so now have no idea how my stomach will be tomo after no food!!

So start weight from this morning 13st 3 1/4lb.

On a play date tomo, plan is to have lunch in a cafe. Not sure how to explain when I'm not eating and how to take milk. Might just have tea and say I'm being good! It's times like this I wish I was telling people, but I know I would regret it later.

I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to start a thread and that becomes my diary, sorry if it's wrong.

Fingers crossed for tomo! X

You're in pre-op diaries so looks like the right place to me and I think @Mazza can move your thread to post op diaries after the surgery :)
I would suggest using this as a chance to practice not caring what others think if you can because after WLS you'll have loads of times when you're out and not eating much. Virtually no one knows about my sleeve at all so I have just coached myself not to care if people comment on the fact my meal looks hardly touched when we eat out or I order a starter instead of a main (which I also can't finish!). Generally I think we are more aware of it than anyone else and it gets easier with practice honest x

Yes, you've posted in the right place. Just keep updating this thread and as @FeeBee said, I can move it into the post op section when you want me too

So day 3 and going ok....got the opposite problem than at the start of the week and now needing senokot! I think I'm just going to have to get used to this as I think my body is going to take awhile to adjust.

I'm starting to get a funny taste in my mouth, I don't know if that normal because of so much milk and nothing else, but it makes me feel abit nauseous.

Got the weekend to contend with now, in particular spending the day with the in laws, who don't know and hopefully won't ever know. Not sure how we'll blag it, but let's see.

Oh and if anyone saw my post asking about my husband doing the milk diet with me they(the doc) said it was fine, but to keep an eye on his levels. He's having a small meal for one meal a day and having a pint less milk just to keep him ok.

Overall feeling quite positive about the milk diet, although the end feels so far away! Starting to get nervous. Worried about not waking up and leaving my kids, but I know I'm doing this partly for them too.

xx

The taste in your mouth is normal, I think it's a sign you're in ketosis (if that's how you spell it?!)
Good luck this weekend x

So I'm a bit upset! I lost 6lb by Sunday and all was going ok. But I'm so constipated and my weight has gone up. I rang the cobham clinic to ask to speak to the dietician and they said they were going to get them to call, but no one called. I've taken senokot and fybrogel, not sure what else I can do!!

Struggling now but only a week to go!!

So I'm a bit upset! I lost 6lb by Sunday and all was going ok. But I'm so constipated and my weight has gone up. I rang the cobham clinic to ask to speak to the dietician and they said they were going to get them to call, but no one called. I've taken senokot and fybrogel, not sure what else I can do!!

U got this xx

Constipation is really common because not much is going in after all. Maybe talk to your GP although hopefully your team will return your call! Glycerine suppositories helped me when it got bad and my GP prescribed laxido, not my favourite drink but got me going again. Plus keep telling yourself this stage of the process is about shrinking your liver so surgery is possible and as safe as it can be. The weight loss is an added benefit and you definitely have got this :)

Thank you! You have put things in perspective! It's not for weigh loss but for my liver to shrink.

One thing I forgot t say is I'm really suffering with insomnia! The same thing happened when I went on a detox in jan and cut out gluten, sugar and carbs. I find it so interesting the effects different foods have. Has anyone got any tips on getting me sleeping or does it pass? Been really bad the last 2 nights. Xx

Hopefully something may have moved now, but if not drink as much water as you can and hopefully the laxative will kick in. Constipation is very normal and does result in weight gain. You may need to take another dose.

The LRD is not about how much weight you lose but the state of your liver.
Thank you! You have put things in perspective! It's not for weigh loss but for my liver to shrink.

One thing I forgot t say is I'm really suffering with insomnia! The same thing happened when I went on a detox in jan and cut out gluten, sugar and carbs. I find it so interesting the effects different foods have. Has anyone got any tips on getting me sleeping or does it pass? Been really bad the last 2 nights. Xx
Is getting to sleep, staying asleep or getting back to sleep after you have been to the loo?

Would suggest you drink more water to flush the toxins and have some of your milk allowance, warmed if you cope with it, just before you go to bed. You may also need to have some during the night if you are struggling to get back to sleep.

Is sleep a problem for you normally or is your sleep hygiene good?

Thanks. Dietician called this morning and said to get a suppository so will do that. Hopefully then I will be ok.

It's falling asleep that's my problems, taking 3-4 hours! I'm quite bad normally so it's just even longer but then exhausted in the morning. I will try hot milk. The wake ups for the loo are annoying but I fall asleep again.

Xx

Thanks. Dietician called this morning and said to get a suppository so will do that. Hopefully then I will be ok.

It's falling asleep that's my problems, taking 3-4 hours! I'm quite bad normally so it's just even longer but then exhausted in the morning. I will try hot milk. The wake ups for the loo are annoying but I fall asleep again.

Xx
Could be your mind is pre-occupied with the surgery. Are you avoiding screens for at least a couple of hours before bedtime? The blue light doesn't help. I find listening to radio 4 helps (a podcast or set the sleep timer so it doesn't wake you up when your circadian rhythm changes ) as it stops my mind from being over busy. The wisdom is if you cannot get off after half an hour then get up rather than lying there fretting about not sleeping.

I have a lot of issues that affect my sleep, getting to sleep and staying asleep. One random thing I find helps is if I wake up at any point I don't look at the time otherwise I may there thinking about how much sleep I've not had etc. I also try not to look at the time once I'm in bed. If I really want to know how long it took me to drop off my fitbit will tell me the next day. I often listen to a mindfulness meditation too which helps relax me and more often than not sends me to sleep/helps me fall back asleep. Maybe experiment a bit and see what helps?

Thank you ladies. I am terrible with my phone in bed and I know there's things I can do to help myself. It's just it was worse with the diet. I need to start some mindfulness and stick to it.

I'm feeling much better at the moment. I had my pre-op today and it was fine. Just general checks. Getting closer and feeling excited and nervous! X

This time in 3 days I will have had my op!! It's very scary and I'm starting to panic. I can't decide if I should write letters for my kids or not.

It's been a hard few days over a bank holiday visiting people. I had my pre op on Thursday, all fine as far as I'm aware. Just got to get through now....it will be worth it in the end....

This time in 3 days I will have had my op!! It's very scary and I'm starting to panic. I can't decide if I should write letters for my kids or not.

It's been a hard few days over a bank holiday visiting people. I had my pre op on Thursday, all fine as far as I'm aware. Just got to get through now....it will be worth it in the end....
I always make sure my affairs are in order before going for major surgery, and that has in the past included writing letters to the kids. It is an understandable fear and an understandable thing to want to do, and if it would make you feel better then why not?

It's a personal decision, if it makes you feel calmer then write the letters. I couldn't write for my OH because it felt like I was being negative and was approaching the surgery expecting a bad outcome. Only you can know which way is best for you.

I would however write a list of why you started this journey, why you wanted the surgery, all the things you hate and want to change at the moment and all the things you hope to achieve in the future.

This will be your go to list when you start to panic and wonder if you are doing the right thing - it will help you re-focus.

I remember the feeling well! But you wouldn't be at this stage if you hadn't decided it was right for you!

Good luck!

So I'm about to write my list and some letters just incase. I know I will cry but need to do them. Really struggling now, feeling like I've got no energy.

So any tips for what I should take to the hospital and any tips for after?

How bad is the pain? I've had 2 c-sections and keep thinking it can't be as bad as a c-section and then coming home with a new born baby which acts like a torture tool when it comes to sleep! At least I'll be able to rest!

One more full day to get through! X

I didn't find the pain too bad at all. Had morphine pump in hospital for just under 48 hours but then was on paracetamol/ibuprofen afterwards. I have not had a C section but have had many other surgeries - full cut and keyhole, and the pain from this one was quite low on the list. The biggest pain people complain about is wind.

Don't take too much as I did. I wore shortie pyjamas and extra large t shirts because of how warm hospitals can be, and there was room inside for the drip too. Something to amuse you such as a book or magazine, i-pad or whatever. Once I had come round from anaesthetic properly there were times when I was bored.

Usual wash kit. Your lips/mouth will get very dry so lipsalve and a mouth spray helped.

What procedure are you having? Different procedures have wounds in different places (3, 4 or 5) but most of us found that bras and any other tight elastic were a problem.

For going home, loose clothes and a cushion to hold against the wound.

Make sure you have plenty of support with the physical stuff when you get home. Do as much as you can before you go such as getting the washing up to date, making sure you have your liquid diet in place, and a suitable laxative.

Hope all goes well and see you on the loser's bench. :)

Back