• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Raw Truth from the start

I take it your first fill wasn't under xray either then like its supposed to be?! Honestly they are useless! Surely they would have found it if it was"?

Oh bella I'm so sorry you must feel like its always you.could they not x ray it then.so what happens now.

Bella'sBand said:
Hey Mimi Lola and Jo,

Just wanted to share I went for my first fill today and the port could not be located. I was injected 8 times around my scare and nothing. I left the clinic with the empty band I arrived with :( Sucks big time!!!

Jesus.....I'd have cried too....I get more and more grateful for the plain sale I've had with my band....guessing they're booking you in now for X-ray? :( xx

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Please don't get down I promise it will all work out in the end and it will be worth it just stay strong ok.
Sending big hugs.

'sail' slight typo lol

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I take it your first fill wasn't under xray either then like its supposed to be?! Honestly they are useless! Surely they would have found it if it was"?

Dinky dink, they no longer automatically do the first fill under X-ray. The majority of the time it's not necessary as the surgeon tends to put the port in the same place for all their patients.

Bella, fingers crossed you get your appointment soon. Don't let one bad day get you down xxx

Thank you everyone for you kind words of empathy and support :) It is really frustrating. I mean I can find the port easy enough. It was even sticking out last week when I woke up on my left side, which I think I mentioned in a few threads last week too. And on Saturday I was lying in bed on my back and it was really sicking out. I said to my husband feel that, do you feel it, he said can I feel it? I can see it. So when the nurse (as lovely, sweet and kind as she was) started pushing and pushing to find it, she kept saying its on its side and she could not find the top to inject in though she did try. Poor woman was even on her knees as I told her it protrudes more when I lie on my left side, but nothing after several attempts.
Then they got the consultant bariatric nurse to have a go and nothing. They said my scar tissue was really thick and my port was really deep. At the time I was just to blind sided and upset to go into it with them that scar tissue does not protrude in a circle but... what could I say? Nothing was going to make me have a fill that day and after being injected at least 8 times it could have been more, I just wanted to go home.
They said I will have to go to Kent to get an xray fill. I asked has the port flipped and the consultant said no no just some peoples are deeper than others. But I cannot believe that as even when we came home I went upstairs to put my PJs on and lay down on the bed and both myself and my husband felt it and saw it protruding again? It is a mystery to me.
We spend an hour both ways driving to the clinic, spent money on deseil, my husband took a day off work, we waited 45 minutes past my appointment, and now we have to wait to be called for an appointment, more driving hence more desiel, another day off work and my little boy is disabled and we have to find care for him that day too. It is such a big hassle and I should not have to go through all this just to get a fill.
I do not know why my surgeon put my port directly under my scar and I do not know why my scar is taking so long to heal. Both nurses when they saw it said oh that looks angry, thats not healing very well. But how do I know how it is supposed to look or how well it is supposed to have healed in 5 weeks? I have nothing to compare it too.
I am waiting for a call this morning but feel really dejected about what happens when it comes to my next fill? They are not going to give me an xray everytime and I do not intent to be used as a pin cushion every time with a hit and miss rate above the 3 attempts I was told they try.
What can I do though other than let all this happen? I have no control, its not like I can fill it myself.
Oh and that is another thing when the second consultant came in and had a go she said she was not going to try further as they only attempt 3 times, but the other lady tried at least 7 times and the consultant did 2 times, because they do not want to risk the needle piercing the tube. So NOW I have that worry about the tube having been pierced on top of everything else. I know it was at least 8 as I have 8 red marks on my skin from being injected but I am sure a few were in the scar too.
I am left feeling I should not have to go through this, I should have had my fill and my appointment for my next, I have a little boy who is disabled and enough on my plate, THG should have an xray machine at every clinic they have should such things arrise. It was all so matter of fact for them but I am sorry its not matter of fact for me. This is my body and my life and I feel at the moment both are not in my control.
I have to say both nurses were really lovely though, the first tried on my back, standing, on my side, legs down, legs in the air.... I have seem people have fills on Youtube and its, a wee feel about, needle in, water in, needle out, done! Oh is that it? That was so easy...
Sighs...

Last edited:
bella its sound like an absolute nightmare but on the plus side i see you`ve lost three pounds.
That must make you feel a bit better.

Thank you everyone for you kind words of empathy and support :) It is really frustrating. I mean I can find the port easy enough. It was even sticking out last week when I woke up on my left side, which I think I mentioned in a few threads last week too. And on Saturday I was lying in bed on my back and it was really sicking out. I said to my husband feel that, do you feel it, he said can I feel it? I can see it. So when the nurse (as lovely, sweet and kind as she was) started pushing and pushing to find it, she kept saying its on its side and she could not find the top to inject in though she did try. Poor woman was even on her knees as I told her it protrudes more when I lie on my left side, but nothing after several attempts.
Then they got the consultant bariatric nurse to have a go and nothing. They said my scar tissue was really thick and my port was really deep. At the time I was just to blind sided and upset to go into it with them that scar tissue does not protrude in a circle but... what could I say? Nothing was going to make me have a fill that day and after being injected at least 8 times it could have been more, I just wanted to go home.
They said I will have to go to Kent to get an xray fill. I asked has the port flipped and the consultant said no no just some peoples are deeper than others. But I cannot believe that as even when we came home I went upstairs to put my PJs on and lay down on the bed and both myself and my husband felt it and saw it protruding again? It is a mystery to me.
We spend an hour both ways driving to the clinic, spent money on deseil, my husband took a day off work, we waited 45 minutes past my appointment, and now we have to wait to be called for an appointment, more driving hence more desiel, another day off work and my little boy is disabled and we have to find care for him that day too. It is such a big hassle and I should not have to go through all this just to get a fill.
I do not know why my surgeon put my port directly under my scar and I do not know why my scar is taking so long to heal. Both nurses when they saw it said oh that looks angry, thats not healing very well. But how do I know how it is supposed to look or how well it is supposed to have healed in 5 weeks? I have nothing to compare it too.
I am waiting for a call this morning but feel really dejected about what happens when it comes to my next fill? They are not going to give me an xray everytime and I do not intent to be used as a pin cushion every time with a hit and miss rate above the 3 attempts I was told they try.
What can I do though other than let all this happen? I have no control, its not like I can fill it myself.
Oh and that is another thing when the second consultant came in and had a go she said she was not going to try further as they only attempt 3 times, but the other lady tried at least 7 times and the consultant did 2 times, because they do not want to risk the needle piercing the tube. So NOW I have that worry about the tube having been pierced on top of everything else. I know it was at least 8 as I have 8 red marks on my skin from being injected but I am sure a few were in the scar too.
I am left feeling I should not have to go through this, I should have had my fill and my appointment for my next, I have a little boy who is disabled and enough on my plate, THG should have an xray machine at every clinic they have should such things arrise. It was all so matter of fact for them but I am sorry its not matter of fact for me. This is my body and my life and I feel at the moment both are not in my control.
I have to say both nurses were really lovely though, the first tried on my back, standing, on my side, legs down, legs in the air.... I have seem people have fills on Youtube and its, a wee feel about, needle in, water in, needle out, done! Oh is that it? That was so easy...
Sighs...

Bella, I could have written this myself! This is exactly what happened to me when I went for my first fill, I was so upset. I went and had it done under x-ray though and it was fascinating, in a way I'm glad it happened like that now, just to be able to see my insides, how the band is sat, and to watch the barium go down and see how the band works, its fascinating! I went for my second fill last night and although we had trouble and i had about four needle pricks, we got there in the end as the nurse had watched the xray footage to see where the band was. Mine is also deep and through scar tissue, but that just means, it hurts less when they inject you! Chin up mate, you'll get there x

Thanks Mimi :) And even after all the trauma yesterday I still stuck to my diet. I am proud of myself about that. A few months ago the Classic biscuts and ice cream would have taken a pounding but I am learning not to let my emotions rule my eating and for me that is a huge step :)

Bella, I could have written this myself! This is exactly what happened to me when I went for my first fill, I was so upset. I went and had it done under x-ray though and it was fascinating, in a way I'm glad it happened like that now, just to be able to see my insides, how the band is sat, and to watch the barium go down and see how the band works, its fascinating! I went for my second fill last night and although we had trouble and i had about four needle pricks, we got there in the end as the nurse had watched the xray footage to see where the band was. Mine is also deep and through scar tissue, but that just means, it hurts less when they inject you! Chin up mate, you'll get there x

Thank you Lisa, it is nice to hear I am not alone in my experience. Did the barium fluid taste ok? I hope it is managable ewww I hate liquids that taste of medicine, give me a huge pill any day of the week! Thing is I am not too convinced I have deep scar tissue, how can I when I have seen my port through my skin twice and once it was sticking out like someone was sticking a coke bottle through my back lol. But what do I know, the are the ''experts'' right ;) well that is what I keep telling myself...
Thank you for sharing though it is really nice to know I am not alone in this type of experience :)

It tasted to me like a thick fruity yoghurt drink and wasnt bad at all. I was worried too as I have a bad gag reflex lol! They say I have thick scar tissue too, but the food thing about that is that it doesn't hurt when the needle goes in! Best of luck - when is your X-ray booked for? X

Thanks Lisa,
It is tomorrow. I still dont feel I am going to come home with a fill though. Just something in me says another problem is going to arrise, oh I dont know a flipped port perhaps? I am not getting my hopes up, I will not believe it till it happens now...
Thanks Bella x

Well if it reassures you, I felt the same. Also if it is a flipped port then they can sometimes turn it back under X-ray. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I'm sure it'll be fine and you'll be just like me with a troublesome port! Either way, it's fascinating to see your insides in real time on the screen and seeing how the band sits and what happens when you swallow!

Bella'sBand said:
Thanks Lisa,
It is tomorrow. I still dont feel I am going to come home with a fill though. Just something in me says another problem is going to arrise, oh I dont know a flipped port perhaps? I am not getting my hopes up, I will not believe it till it happens now...
Thanks Bella x

Good luck bella but as Lisa has said the X-ray should sort you out, if ever there was a positive from this once your skinny it should mean you don't have your port bulging through your skin on show if it's hidden deeply...let us know later x

good luck bella sending big hugs.xxxx

Back