• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The truth and all you need to know about the bypass

Thanks Mark,
I'm glad I'm normal worrying about it! I'm not too scared iof complications-just dying!!lol My surgeon laughed when I asked what my odds were as he has only had one death in 375 ops and that was someone with allsorts of medical problems, whereas I'm healthy and have all the odds in my favour. I warned the person who told me I was being silly about the risk of me dying that I would come back to haunt him if he got it wrong. It's just the fact that it's elective surgery that makes me consider dying whereas if I HAD to have it for an illness then I don't suppose I would have thought twice! I know I'm being silly, but there's always that doubt in the back of my mind..
Do you know if you lose weight faster by avopiding solids after the op for the length that they recommend?

post op stricture

i had my gastric bypass on feb 5th this 2008 i weighed 29stone 12lbs am 6ft 3" and in my 50s
I had to go back after 6 weeks as EVERYTHING i tried to eat gave me ALOT of pain they found that I had a stricture of scar tissue covering my pouch and they took care of that with a procedure done under sedation
However now out of op 13 weeks and can still hardly eat anything 2 tablespoons of mushed up food fills me up no pleasure in eating at all,my tastebuds have gone completely haywire!!psychologically very tough, seeing a private psychologist once a week
Have lost 7st 4 lbs in 3 months!!!
Too much too quick I am told but there is little or no follow up care, seeing my surgeon again on wednesday but would like to speak to anyone else who has had this stricture problem as I have NO IDEA when I will be able to start eating anything normally again.
This has been great mediacally I no longer have the diabetes and can walk,shop, go up and down stairs,have relations with my wife again, get in and out of my car and chair at home and have returned to work for the first time in 18 months.
But Oh, the mental pain is intense.Intend to start a support group in Sheffield
any reply welcome
Graham

Hi Graham

I am so sorry you are having problems...... I am going in on Thursday for my bypass...... I am sure many people will be along to give you some advice........

Welcome to the group and congratulations on amazing weightloss and the achievements you have made so far.....

xxxx

Hi Graham,
I just want to welcome you to minimins too. Your weightloss is fantastic, but I'm sorry that you've had so many problems. Where did you have the op? Was it NHS or private?
I'm sure there will be lots of members who will give you as much info as they can. They're a great group. I'm having my op at the end of this month.

Hi Graham

In know your concerns about not being able to eat. But after this operation many people can hardly eat for a fair while.

I was told by many post op patients that i woul dbe lucky if i could eat 2 small spoons full of any food.

So if your doing well and your taking all your vits and mins and iron and calcium and PROTEIN very important . dont worry to much.

It will take a fair while for some people to get the food feeling sback such as taste and feeling content. But it will come back at some point i promise.

As for the wieght loss their maybe an amount they lik eyou to lose but the heavier you are the more you will lose
That i would worry about to much either because atleast 505 of what you have lost so far is all the extra fluids your body is holding. Im 6 weeks post op and ive lost just over 3 stone i lost 2 stone after just over 2 weeks .

It will setting down the lighter you get, But just keep going back to the doctor and keep him informed on whats going on.

The only think you really need to keep a eye on is malnutrition so drink milk take your suppliments are your bang on target.

It good to have a good read up on everything you can find about gastric bypasses , But dont take everything as gospal as everyone is diffrent. And over time your pouch will strech so you can eat more and your body will get round the scare tissue. If not they will tweak it a little.

And in the end if the worse comes to the worse the operation IS reversable even though they say it isnt, they just say that because in normal practise they never have todo it.

So if after you have lost all your weight say in 5 years time and your still having bad problems then you know something can be done.

I hope this help a little and may help put you at ease

Just remember if you feel odd report it dont just shrug it off . pester the doctor who did the operation.

Mark

Where is Graham now and how is he? OK I hope. This post is exactly why I feel so worried about my lovely sis having this op. She is not good with pain at all and goes straight to bed if she has a cold even!:rolleyes: I notice Graham says he has intense mental pain; this worries me as well.

I am very concerned that Graham is not responding.:cry:Where are you Graham?? I really hope you are OK.

There have been some twists and turns in my lovely sister's journey to lose weight. I can't post right now because I have a 4 hour drive ahead of me, and the story is quite involved. Will be back though!:)

Wow I had a different approach to my bypass, talked about parts of it on other threads but not in full, so in the spirit of keeping other folks informed here is my journey!

Day 1
Came into hospital for 11am, met surgeon and anesthetic chap soon after for a quick chat, nurse informed me that I was due down the theatre around 7pm she fetched me gowns and sexy stockings to wear. That evening I walked down to theatre and was fast asleep within mins - first time I have ever been put to sleep with mask over my face! - Woke up an hour an half later in recovery room in some pain but that was quickly sorted out by the nurse with some morphine :), now the only tubes I had in me were one for the drip in my arm and a catheter for errr wee wee lol! no tubes in my stomach. Spent the night in intensive care with a lovely nurse and was allowed 25ml of water ever hour, was sat up at side of bed in a chair by six the next morning sipping cup of tea :D Had cathertar removed and drip unhooked, the canular in back of my hand stopped in.

Day 2
Left intensive care and had shower at roughly 8 am, walked back to my room (slowly!) and spent day seeing physiotheripist (gave me breathing exercises) and slowly walking the corridors of the thornbury, met with my surgeon again, who informed me that I could leave in the morning if all went well, had three "meals" of clear soup during the day and kept up with plenty of water.

Day 3
Had liquid breakfast again, met again with surgeon who told me I could leave that afternoon after I had some lunch, had the canulars removed and was given more sexy stockings to wear at home for the following three weeks! left the hospital at twelve thirty!

Hi everyone, i've spent the last 2wks reading all the stories, some scarey, some funny, and some leaving me crying like a baby. Im having my op in 3wks, and am abit worried as the doc says i will only be in hosp overnight!!, is this because i'm paying private, not sure what i am more worried about, prob the thought of not waking up after the op, stupid i know, my doc says he's only had 1 death in over 400 ops, and that wasnt relating to the op itself.

hope you didnt mind me posting, but starting to feel nervy.

would like to lose 7stone, seems like an impossibity, but fingers crossed

Hey Helen, Claire (Clairelou) was only in over night, it just seems to depend on the hospital. I was in for 2 nights.

Hi everyone, i've spent the last 2wks reading all the stories, some scarey, some funny, and some leaving me crying like a baby. Im having my op in 3wks, and am abit worried as the doc says i will only be in hosp overnight!!, is this because i'm paying private, not sure what i am more worried about, prob the thought of not waking up after the op, stupid i know, my doc says he's only had 1 death in over 400 ops, and that wasnt relating to the op itself.

hope you didnt mind me posting, but starting to feel nervy.

would like to lose 7stone, seems like an impossibity, but fingers crossed

Hi Helen, had the same fears as yourself, and even though my doctor told me that I was very low risk for the op I still worried myself sick that something would happen!! Try not to let it get to you too much, keep in mind how much better you will feel when the weight comes off and stops off!

My Operation

Okay I had to be at the hospital by 7.30, i was travelling from the Isle of Wight to St Richards hospital in Chichester, so my carer and I got the 5am ferry and I arrived at hospital about 6.50am. I was shown my bed then later just asked a few questions by a nurse then my surgeon Mr Somers came to see me to make sure i had a clear understanding of what was going to be happening then i had the consent form to sign. I lay on my bed reading until i fell asleep then i was woken by a nurse at 12noon saying "Quick Debbie Shaw is ready for you, he has bumped you up the list". It was mayhem stripping and getting the gown on :) I walked down to the theatre (this is to keep the blood pumping round your body and to keep your heart rate at a steady pace). I got into the theatre, was asked what music i wanted on to which i replied "Chris Rea" and no it wasnt The Road to Hell lol. The next thing i knew it was about 6.45pm and i was back on the ward feeling ever so sleepy and dry mouthed. We were given a cup of water with a stick on a sponge which we were told we could moisten our lips with but we were not allowed to sip the water.

Day 1 - not alot happened just obs done at various intervals and of course the morphine pump every 5 minutes wow that was sooooooo good and very welcomed. Was told we could sip water, had to have a cup in an hour and 6 cups in 6 hours and if we could keep that down without being sick we could have the nasal tube out. Unfortunately i hate water anyway and found it difficult to swallow so didnt manage to drink the required amount. Both canulars went so had to be removed and another one put in (not an easy job as i have difficult veins to say the least).

Day 2 - Obs again at varying intervals. Still had the catheter and drips and alsorts going at this point. YES i was allowed the nasal tube out and what a relief that was, i actually felt human again and could swallow without pain. Later out came the catheter, and off with the baloon socks (gosh they make you hot and itchy). I showered with some help and unfortunately canular came out and splurted blood all over just after i had clean bedding on, showered and clean gown on. Was up and about and feeling much better - had clear soup for dinner then yoghurt for the evening snack.

Day 3 - Feeling so much better - had readybrek for brekkie and a cup of tea. Mid morning a small glass of milk with a rich tea biscuit - lunchtime tablespoon of mash with cheese in. - mid afternoon 75ml yoghurt - teatime - Mash and pureed broccoli, 8.pm another biscuit with some more milk.

Day 4- Half a weetabix for brekkie and a cup of tea, mid morning rich t biscuit and milk - lunchtime mash and pureed swede then at 3pm HOME

wow all so different. i had my pre op test the day before my op, checked bp and asked questions and explained about after the op the injections boy i was not prepared for those at all.

next day went into hospital at 4pm had visit from nurse, dietician, and anethasist 5pm i was walking down to theatre.

was in the room larfing with aneathast and next min was back in my bed 7pm all over and done with cant remeber to much had drip and morphine in pump was allowed a few sips. Sexy stockings remained on for 2 weeks no drains or anything, was aminly left to own devices asked for loo they bought me comode and i went had to ask for help as was on my monthly how embarrassing. but pain was managable

next day woke had some jelly cuppa make me wanna chuck up and had tablets and injection and was allowed to go with meds and injections in tow.

was on kiddies ibrophen but hated it but after 2 days no pain just ache where liver is.

recovered well and still am so glad i had it done

julie

really good info i.m goin to see the surgeon on the 2nd sept to see if i need a band or bypass cant come round soon enough for me

hi really happy for you, i see u live in coventry did you have your op at coventry hospital as i,m hoping to get sorted there

Hi All
I am new to this site, just wanted to say a big hello

My doc refered me last week for Gastric surgery, how long will I be waiting before I hear antything ??

Hi All
I am new to this site, just wanted to say a big hello

My doc refered me last week for Gastric surgery, how long will I be waiting before I hear antything ??

Hi sam

Big welcome from me. You will get more of a response if you make a thread saying hi a few lines down the page .

but happy to have you hear

Back