• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

YES!!! Progress at last!!!!!

Hello everyone!
Thanks once again for making me feel better - I honestly don't know what I would have done without you all! gawd I was so down yesterday & needed to be alone - poor hubby had to sleep in the spare bed last night!
I feel much more positive today & have begun to think like you all have said by just treating having to go to weight management as another hurdle & using it as a chance to tell them everything & I will definately say I really want surgery, just incase the dr hasn't told them like Shel !! (that is so bad that - poor Shel!!)
The one problem I have is I tend to clam up due to my nerves in stressful situations so do you think I should write them a letter & give it to them when I go so that I don't forget anything?? (I am always writing letters lol) & if so, has anyone any tips on what I could say at all please? I don't want them putting me on stupid diets which won't work - I was only 5 when I was put on my 1st ever one, it was the school nurse who did that - she supervised me at dinnertime & I wasn't allowed puddings at all (poor kid I got bullied for years due to that, they could have done it a little more discreetly) & have been on diets ever since all to no avail.
I am more mad it has taken 5 weeks for them to send a 3 line letter & I get the impression they think we take this surgery with a pinch of salt when we don't & in reality we have all agonised over it for a long time before coming to this.
Hey thanks Olsbols for the links! I'm dying to go have a look! lol has anyone tried Bon prix? they are good & quite cheap too..
I hope everyone is having a good day! (the weather here in Leeds is shocking! it's absolutely throwing it down!)
Love n hugs to you all!
Vicky
xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Vicky glad to hear your feeling much better today, its a roller coaster of a ride is'nt it....we will get there in the end and if its worth having its worth waiting (a little bit) longer for....Linda x

Hey Vicky :)

I think the letter is a brilliant idea. Include how social situations make you feel, that you clam up in new places, and how being overweight has made you feel. You can add in everything you have tried (starting age 5, include it all) and your fears about attending weight management. Maybe you could post it to them or ask hubby to drop it off a week or so before your appointment so they have time to read it before you see them.

Shel

I think a letter is a great idea as well. That way you have it all down on paper for if you clam up due to nerves and find it difficult to get your point across. Make it as detailed as you need to, giving all of the negatives about why being overweight is making your life soo difficult. Good luck xx

Just to show why it works, I had a nurse appointment this morning as had to register with a new doctors following house move. Before I went I wrote down all my consultants, all my medicines, and all my illnesses. The nurse was absolutely chuffed! Made it much easier as I'd never remember them all when put on the spot :)

I have to say as soon as I knew I was being referred to Hope Hospital I started typing up a list of reasons. I can add to it as and when I think of them and then the day before I will go through and review it. It is a must really because I know how many times I have had appointments even interviews and you come out thinking "god I should have said this or that" and I want to make the most of however long or short my appointment is to get my point across.

Linda x

Hello everyone!
Well I have done it! I have written a FIVE page letter phew! I must be a born worrier as I am now thinking it's far too long! but I couldn't make it any shorter (I did try) as I would've left lots out so lets hope they have the patience to read my 'epic' now.
I am wondering when the Weight Management people will send me an appointment, anyone have any idea? all this waiting is terrible and really stressful isn't it?
I hope you are all well and doing ok!
Vicky
xxx

Hi Vicky

Just been catching up on your thread (sorry not replied earlier). The letter is a great idea and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you hun.

xxx

Oh thanks Nic, it means a lot it really does!
You are an inspiration & reading your story has given me great hope & encouragement to keep going!
I hope you are doing great & everything is settling down nicely for you now!
love n hugs
Vicky
xxx

Hi Vicky,

Well done on the letter front!

I hope you get your appointment sent through soon - you are right: the waiting is the worst part of it all!

Stay strong and keep reminding yourself about the long term result...

Alice xx

Hi VC have you heard anything on the appointment front? I am attending the bariatric clinic at Hope a week on friday. I have to say I only waited a few weeks and could have been seen earlier but I was away on holiday. The waiting is the hard part but keep positive.....my moods go up and down...one day confident the next very doubtful....Linda x

Hi

Just wanted to tell you about my experience with the weight management service in Glasgow. I was first referred there more than two years ago. The first few months were spent in consultations with a psychotherapist, which, although I don't think fully resolved my attitude and the way I feel about myself, it did help me understand why I feel so down and how I have developed in this way.

After nearly a year, I started the actual weight management programme. This was a closed group programme, which I actually found very helpful and supportive (although I didn't lose any weight).

I often think that clinicians feel that fat people just need to be educated, that as long as you know what's good for you, you'll make the right choices. If only it was that simple. I bet there are a good number of us here who are more aware of the fat and calorie content of popular foods then our doctors are.

The programme did help me realise that my erratic eating habits and meal skipping were making things worse. I now never go without breakfast, although it is sometimes still a struggle to eat regularly through the day. It works for me though. I find the demons are much less powerful at night when I have eaten properly during the day.

The next stage was another group programme, this time assisted by medication. That didn't work either, then I was put on a LCD which led to me putting on weight.

Finally they decided that I fulfilled their criteria for gastric banding - my op is on Friday.

This has been more long-winded than I intended, but my point is that I don't think I would have been emotionally well enough equipped to go through this operation, without going through the "preliminaries" first. It might feel like you are having to jump through hoops, but I would say try to see the delay as an opportunity to learn the new skills you will have to live with post op, if you want to lose weight and maintain it lifelong.

Hi
the frustrating thing is all PCT's are different my story is :
saw my GP May 24thish and she agreed to refer me - in this area it goes to the PCT before the surgeon.
Rang dr's and referral sent 5th June
Rang PCT 15th June and confirmed they had it but would not state any waiting time in fact quite rude and said they only met for decisions once a month and it could take months
So not wanting to annoy them I backed off.
But then I thought sod it and rang i spose early august was told all referrals now sent to another branch of the PCT
so rang that PCT and was old no trace of my referal must be lost !
Luckliy spoke to a real gem who called my GP told her what details needed to be in the letter so she didnt need to write to her for more details and my GP faxed it to her
few days later she called and said it was a yes !
Only down side is surgery has a wait list of a year - cos everyone fancies shaw somers and hence huge wait list !!!!!!!! btw he is only surgeon that does bypasses in this area which is why I have no choice but to wait a year

so my advice when you finish weight management - which I know seems a pain but as your eating habits have to change so drastically may well be really useful hopefully - mind u I would be peed off having to do it so i totally understand in this rollercoaster i think you have to see everything as a positive if poss
so grateful to be accepted but disappointed with the wait as i am ready NOW!!!! but i keep telling myself last year of being a chunkster !!! and then i get one of best surgeons or his team to do it
- keep on find out the person to talk to at the PCT - confimr your GP has done referral, confirm it has been received etc. etc. keep on top of it if i hadnt i would still be sitting here like a lemon with a lost referral and no ides
good luck

Hi I have been attending various weight management clinics, had tablets to reduce my appeitite, attended a gym, attended docs every month for weighing and management etc since feb 2006. In june I asked my GP for referral for banding. BMI 35, BP controlled by meds, trouble breathing (not asthma although they treated it as such for a year), reflux and depression to how I keep putting weight on. I have heard today that the commissioning want me to attend weight management for 2 YEARS.....I have an appointment for Hope Hospital bariatric clinic on friday and seeing Dr New. I was told by his secretary there is no 2 years for anything. This referral was made after I had tried chasing up the PCT and got a horrible woman telling me I had no chance and I would need to attend hope for 2 years. Sorry if this is all confusing. The end result is whilst waiting for the PCT to make a decision my GP referred my to hope bariatric appointment on friday, PCT said today I need to attend st marys weight management for 2 years. GP has written back saying I have been attending with them and other organisations since feb 2006 and can they take this into account. Mean while my weight goes up, my social life is nil, I hate looking at myself and no amount of telling me to try and understand the reasons I feel the way I do will help. I feel the way I do because I am over weight and cannot do the things I want to do, I get constant headaches with my blood pressure as soon as I get hot it goes up....god I have not had a sex life for god knows how long and they want me to wait another two years.....once again sorry if this is jumbled I feel rather wound up just now and dont know if fridays appointment is going to knock me further back....Linda x

Think positive about Friday Linda - the absolute worst that can happen is you are still told you have to wait and at best you hopefully will get some much better news! Chin up chick - not long till Fri now x

Think positive about Friday Linda - the absolute worst that can happen is you are still told you have to wait and at best you hopefully will get some much better news! Chin up chick - not long till Fri now x

Do you think its worth going on friday? I cannot see the point, one of my mates is trying to tell me that 500 calories is like lipotrim and hard at first but gets easier, I cannot stand the thought of feeling so lousy due to eating so little and trying to hold down a demanding job working 10 shifts, some times my days last 17 hours and what good is 500 calories going to be for that....I am desperatley trying to search the internet for some hope from somewhere....

Linda. Stop flapping and listen to us. YES it is worth going on Friday, what's the alternative, give up and stay like you are forever? You are NOT going to do that!

You don't know that they are going to put you on 500cal diet. You don't know what they will say, so stop trying to pre-empt them and let THEM decide what they are going to say!

Remember, you are a strong person and you CAN HANDLE this.

Linda. Stop flapping and listen to us. YES it is worth going on Friday, what's the alternative, give up and stay like you are forever? You are NOT going to do that!

You don't know that they are going to put you on 500cal diet. You don't know what they will say, so stop trying to pre-empt them and let THEM decide what they are going to say!

Remember, you are a strong person and you CAN HANDLE this.

Thanks shell I need strong words.....Linda x

Hello everyone!
I hope you are well Shell hun :)

I am so bloody fed up, I haven't heard a flaming thing!, no appointment has come through, no letter or phone call from the dr not a sausage!! I have no idea who to ask what's happening (I daredn't ask dr again as he was told off & had his knuckes rapped for referring me to a surgeon & wasn't amused eeeks) I can't find the address of Horsforth weight management anywhere so am stuck in total limbo still (& still So upset it took 5 weeks to be told dr had referred me incorrectly so all that time down the drain & wasted) I do sometimes feel like it will be too much for me to deal with as I am getting so upset over all this waiting & wondering but am just hoping once I have a bit of an idea what is happening I will get my mental strength up again - fingers crossed. This postman watching & waiting & waiting is wearing me down now though......

Linda I know just how you feel & can really empathise babe but please please please go for your appointment! you have come this far don't go turning back now & just see what they have to say to you before panicking, everybodys stories are all so different, presently it feels like we are in a frighteningly long pitch black tunnel not having the slightest idea of what's going to happen to us doesn't it? but hey you are a little further in the tunnel now & after Friday will be a little nearer the light at the end of that tunnel YEAH!!! :) So get yourself off & get them told 'your' story as best you can, & at least you will then have a general idea of what's going to be happening - otherwise you might sometime in the future be saying If only I'd of gone to that appointment.... we are all here for you !! :)
Love Vicky
xxxxxxxxx

Back